Unofficial Mills

To Strike Or Not To Strike: What DO You Think Of This?

Viv

and there were SOME of the journalists and news staff working anyways, the Hodgemistress was on 5Live news between replays of Victoria Derbyshire interviews that went out instead of her live show.

Wouldda thought the strikers would have a bigger problem with that meself...

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I think it's someone's notion of all-round solidarity. You work at the BBC, so you're expected to support your colleagues.... blah, blah.

You can't expect that of all of the BBC, for starters they may not have any journo colleagues, they might be free lance, and you can't expect for example a freelance dj to strike, I'm not 100% sure on what would happen, but i'd imagine they definitely would have pay cut for the day, and possibly even face disciplinary.

Or say you work for a company, the advertising team go on strike over redundancies, the lorry drivers still need to deliver the goods to people..

etheridge_tom.png

all the people on strike are apparently still being paid, also they are striking over a company pension, which they are lucky to have that is paid for by the taxpayers, they should stop all public sector pension's & have them get private ones like everyone else that are basically not worth the paper they are written on.

:)

You can't expect that of all of the BBC, for starters they may not have any journo colleagues, they might be free lance, and you can't expect for example a freelance dj to strike, I'm not 100% sure on what would happen, but i'd imagine they definitely would have pay cut for the day, and possibly even face disciplinary.

Or say you work for a company, the advertising team go on strike over redundancies, the lorry drivers still need to deliver the goods to people..

Quite a few freelance journalists are striking. Off the top of my head BBC London's Eddie Nestor and BBC News' Huw <strike>Stephens</strike> Edwards and Fiona Bruce are all on strike.

they just get paid, like when they are off work ill they still get paid normal.

Are they really? If that's true then that's crazy! Especially those who are working freelance.

The reason why my mum, a teacher, never went on strike in the days when teachers were striking over pay (she always agreed with the cause) was because by striking she wouldn't be paid, and would therefore be worse off.

Found this on-line:-

Among those listed are: Scott; Fearne and Moyles.

www.averypublicsociologist.blogspot.com/2010/11/celebrity-strikebreakers.html

(info from wikio on e-mail)

I don't quite get this article. Why are Moyles, Scott, etc. listed? The date of the article is 5 November; I thought then was AAA and they were on air?? :confused:

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

The repeats on 5 Live during the day yesterday just made the station unlistenable. Although hearing classic interviews, classic Wittertainment and classic Fighting Talk was good, a full day of repeats on a news station like 5 Live isn't really good enough.

I was unpleasantly surprised when I put it on after Tony Livesey's show had finished early to hear some archive interview thing, sounded like it had been recorded in the 50s or something... I didn't know the strike was going on at the time so it was very confusing.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

they just get paid, like when they are off work ill they still get paid normal.

I beg to differ, the pickets I spoke to outside Bush House weren't getting paid. You don't get paid for taking an unauthorised day off. I'd syop reading the daily mail.

The NUJ isn't the only union at the BBC, Bectu for instance resolved their differences with management. The way I see it, you're only a scab if you are a member of the striking union, or taking the place of a striking union member.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinister-pictures/5151759431/

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'