Unofficial Mills

Moyles “set to quit BBC Radio 1 for Global Radio/Capital FM deal�

deanrwood

Chris Moyles is set to end his record-breaking stint on the Radio 1 Breakfast Show with commercial giant Global Radio favourite to sign the DJ.

Beehive understands that Moyles is ready to leave Radio 1 when his contract expires next July. Industry sources suggest he could be the star attraction on Global’s new Capital FM national network, which launches next year and would rival Radio 1 with an audience of 6 million listeners.

Moyles, who complained about a lack of “respect” when the BBC paid his wages two months late, is a friend and former flatmate of Ashley Tabor, Global Radio’s chief executive. The pair are believed to have had unofficial talks about Moyles’ next move.

Moyles, 36, is the longest-serving Radio 1 breakfast show host and will have served for seven and a half years next Summer. But commercial stations, including Global, would struggle to beat the £600,000 BBC salary the DJ is believed to earn.

His departure from Radio 1, where he brings in 7.7 million listeners, would be amicable, despite the row, now settled, over his wages.

Commercial stations are keen to lure Moyles, who is considered one of Britain’s best broadcasters but whose abrasive style and salary has made him a target for the red-top tabloids, a situation that would be defused if he left the BBC.

Moyles’ future was the talk of the Radio Advertising Awards held at the Roundhouse last week. Mark Goodier, the former Radio 1 and now Smooth Radio DJ, told the audience, that included Tabor: “I bet that in a year’s time Chris Moyles is one of your commercial radio colleagues.”

Global is the biggest commercial operator, owning Capital, Classic FM, LBC and has turned Heart into a national network.

The new Capital network will patch together eight of Global’s regional stations to create a new commercial national pop network, with a combined FM listenership of 6 million. Moyles could present a new nationwide show, taking on his current Radio 1 bosses.

Despite edging closer to Terry Wogan’s audience figures, Moyles now looks unable to surpass the Irishman’s Radio 2 successor, Chris Evans, who has 8.5 million listeners. After Moyles’ salary meltdown, Evans said he considered calling him but said his rival’s Radio 1 show had “no content”.

Moyles has suffered numerous run-ins with Ofcom and endured a bruising period at Radio 1, including a split from his long-term girlfriend.

Moving to Global could be the fresh challenge that the Leeds-born broadcaster needs.

Although his style divided critics, he would leave a big gap at Radio 1. Possible successors for the high profile slot include Fearne Cotton, although her television commitments may rule her out and rising R1 star Greg James.

Source : http://www.beehivecity.com/radio/chris-moyles-radio-10596/

Follow me on twitter @dean_wood

Visit my website : www.deanwood.org.uk

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.6359.2

It seems to have come from a Daily Mail report. And they've hardly been reliable and even suggested last year his career was "dead".

I think in July he will move from breakfast. It'll be up to the BBC to consider a better deal, and if so, Scott will no doubt take over in the short term. It's without a doubt commercial radio is where the money is for him though.

I think this could be a true story. After so many years, Moyles may want to go and try new things at new stations, without facing restrictions by BBC editorial policies...

Also, both Moyles' and Mills' contracts run out next year. For Radio 1 this is a unique chance to develop the station for the first time in almost ten years (assuming that bringing Fearne and Greg in have only been minor changes...).

I personally don't think we will see Scott taking over breakfast. I imagine next year, at least one new DJ will be brought to Radio 1 from somewhere outside of Radio 1 to do either breakfast or drive...

unique...

Sara Cox posted this on twitter the other day:

Been asked if @chrisdjmoyles is leaving R1.I know all his secrets&hes not mentioned owt so,no.He was however born a lady&can play the kazoo.

Twitter for iPhone • 13/10/2010 06:51

another case of that thinking she's funny when she isn't then...

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I have a feeling there could be an element of truth, but I thought he had a pretty low opinion of commercial radio. It could however be another attempt to run him into the ground in national press. Gordon Smartarse had a fairly good attempt at it and look where that went, nowhere!

Yes, please go.

boooooooo

Not impressed with censorship

I kind of believe it! I think this will be his last year on breakfast and possibly at the station as where can he go next on the station but retain his status/salary?!

Mills wont get it now either, not permanently - I can see him filling the slot July -End of the year while they hunt for a new big name anchor presenter and format! Unfortunately Mills has prob missed his opportunity as had he been a few years behind Moyles he wold now be hitting his peak and ready to take over, whereas Mills and Myles have kidn of almost peaked together. Mills wont go though, I think he could stay and move into the afternoon slot and Greg to drive.

The only thing about that story that I dont believe/refuse to believe is Fearne is a contender for the show! Surely the only person who could contend for that slot now is Nick Grimshaw - He must be exactly what they are looking for in terms of appeal? Lets just hope its not a Nick/Annie duo and a Switch Breakfast show!

Well if this becomes the case, I can gurantee my days of listening to Radio 1 will be over, not out of spite at Radio 1, its just I wouldn't feel right listening to the station that I grew up with listening to Chris.

Seriously, grow up. Any presenter won't be around forever, and we just need to adapt to whoever does take over.

I wonder what will happen to the rest of Moyles' team around him.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I'm mostly a 5Live listener these days anyways, but yeah if Moyles and Mills left I wouldn't see any reason to listen to R1 anymore. Maybe at fast-approaching-30 (A year and a bit away), this is what usually happens anyways.

Well you're now out the target audience so they would expect you to feel like this, however I'm 19 and feel the same about some of the stations output.

It's rather obvious they want to put Coxy in the breakfast slot a second time,

Is it!?

Seriously, grow up. Any presenter won't be around forever, and we just need to adapt to whoever does take over.

Not in my case, I'm more of a Chris Moyles fan than a Radio 1 fan. If Moyles goes to another breakfast show I'm following him.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I don't think I would follow him, tbh... Think I would just tend to become used to a new person!! I've tried different stations, and don't really take to any of them.

I reckon people always moan at first about the changes, then when they give the new people a chance, they realise it isn't so bad after all!!

Don't actually believe Coxy would be put into Brekkie again though!! I still think they will offer to Scott!!

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0