Unofficial Mills

iTunes Libraries & Laptops.

TheEpicPlum

So, say if I were to buy a new laptop (or netbook?), would I be able to transfer my whole (videos, podcasts, music, etc.) iTunes library from my current laptop, to a new one? Also, would I be able to delete my iTunes library from my old laptop after, and keep it on the new one?

I'd be able to put all my pictures and documents onto it through a memory stick, right?

Also, any laptop suggestions would be appreciated. What's the cheapest one out there?Plus, is a netbook just the same as a laptop, but smaller?

Sorry, but I'm thinking about Christmas here...

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, say if I were to buy a new laptop (or netbook?), would I be able to transfer my whole (videos, podcasts, music, etc.) iTunes library from my current laptop, to a new one? Also, would I be able to delete my iTunes library from my old laptop after, and keep it on the new one?

Definitely. Just a quick Google search generates plenty of guides/solutions out there.

I'd be able to put all my pictures and documents onto it through a memory stick, right?

Yes, although there are other ways. It depends on how much data you've got (memory sticks can only hold so much!).

Also, any laptop suggestions would be appreciated. What's the cheapest one out there?Plus, is a netbook just the same as a laptop, but smaller?

Netbooks are a lot less powerful, with smaller screens. As the name suggests, they're really just intended for web browsing and nothing else. If you start managing your photos/music/documents on one, you'll find it won't be very fast...or have much room to save everything! Netbooks tend to have less RAM (i.e. they're not as fast) and have smaller hard drives (i.e. there's less room to store everything) compared to laptops.

I hope this isn't too technical. Good luck!

THANK YOU! I have a family laptop, and really want my own. All I do on it is download and edit music, to be honest. I use my iPod touch for everything else.

How much would you be able to store on a netbook? Like, all I want is my iTunes library..

Also, how would the price differ between a laptop and netbook? I want something cheap, otherwise I'll never get it.

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

How much would you be able to store on a netbook? Like, all I want is my iTunes library..

It depends on how big your iTunes library is. If you have more than about 30 albums (obviously I'm estimating here) then I think a regular laptop would be a better idea.

Also, how would the price differ between a laptop and netbook? I want something cheap, otherwise I'll never get it.

Netbooks are considerably cheaper but aren't as powerful (or really useful) as a laptop. Most Windows laptops are cheap anyway, so I'd go for one of those instead. I think the less power of a netbook would get really annoying after a while, but it's up to you. Good laptop brands are Dell, HP, or Acer. Sony Vaio laptops are quick expensive :)

It depends on how big your iTunes library is. If you have more than about 30 albums (obviously I'm estimating here) then I think a regular laptop would be a better idea.

Netbooks are considerably cheaper but aren't as powerful (or really useful) as a laptop. Most Windows laptops are cheap anyway, so I'd go for one of those instead. I think the less power of a netbook would get really annoying after a while, but it's up to you. Good laptop brands are Dell, HP, or Acer. Sony Vaio laptops are quick expensive :)

I think my friend has a netbook, and she has an 8GB iPod touch (like I do *grins*), which fits all her music. So they can't be that bad, surely?

I guess I better ask for a laptop, then. I quite want a coloured one, but I think they're more expensive? How much are we talking here, £300, £400, £500?

I would disagree that Acer is a good brand. I have always had very bad experiences with it. As far as I see it, there's a reason why it's cheap...

I think my friend has a netbook, and she has an 8GB iPod touch (like I do *grins*), which fits all her music. So they can't be that bad, surely?

It's up to you!

I guess I better ask for a laptop, then. I quite want a coloured one, but I think they're more expensive? How much are we talking here, £300, £400, £500?

For a netbook, I'd say £300 max :)

I would disagree that Acer is a good brand. I have always had very bad experiences with it. As far as I see it, there's a reason why it's cheap...

I think all the consumer (i.e. regular) Windows computers are cheap, or at least cheaper than what they used to be. But it's your opinion :)

For a netbook, I'd say £300 max :)

I meant a laptop, but thanks anyway. (:

I googled transferring iTunes libraries and it looks like I'll have to use Home Sharing, it's not the best way, but it's the easiest.

Thanks everybody. (:

;382217']Netbooks don't have disc drives' date=' so you might also want to think of what you might be using it for in the future. :)

[/quote']

Excellent point! (Why didn't I think of that! :P)

;382217']

My laptop was £549' date=' but I decided that I'd have the same one when I go to Uni, so I wanted a good one.[/quote']

Yeah, there's a huge variation. You can go from bottom of the line, under £300 netbooks/laptops to £3000+ gaming desktops :D It all depends on the specs.

get a proper laptop, don't waste your time on a netbook as it's not designed for what you are looking for.

all your itunes are in a folder on your current family computer, the best way is to buy a external hard drive, something like 500MB to 1TB you can pick up a 1TB drive for £80, this may seem a lot of money, BUT if something happens to all the music you have paid for like your laptop has a virus & you need to reinstall the operating system or the hard drive breaks you will loose everything (this has happened to a few mates i know) so always make a back-up !

you can connect the external drive to your current computer, drag the files over to the drive, then drag them onto your new laptop.

MacBooks are great but to expensive i feel, just go for a windows 7 laptop, you want 3mb or 4mb RAM, a Intel duelcore processor maybe a i3 if you can stretch to this cost, also a 250GB hard drive, i wouldn't spend more than £500, about £430 - £460 i would go for myself that should last about 3 to 4 years, then buy a new one, that's what i do, don't waste your money on getting a top-spec laptop that has stuff you don't need, you also don't need one for gaming either.

best thing to do is stick to the amount you want to spend, if you see a nice one but it's £50 odd over budget wait a few weeks & it will drop in price, you may be better waiting till after xmas, i know VAT is going to rise but shops will be desperate to sell, also don't forget if you have the actual cash take it with you & ask if it will be cheaper if you pay in cash, some will give a bit of a discount as they have to pay the credit card company if you pay them with a credit card.

just have a look on the net for a few in your budget & keep a eye on them over the next few weeks & months.

:)