Unofficial Mills

9/11 - 9 Years on.

John

Today marks the 9th anniversary of the tragic events that occurred in America on 11th September 2001. It is certainly this century's 'where were you when...' moment. Everytime I see the footage of them cowards smashing into the twin towers, it still sends a shiver down my spine.

take control

i was 13 at the time. i remember hearing mark & lard talking about it, i couldn't believe how serious they sounded. i got home from school around 3.15 to see replays of the south tower fall. i saw the north tower fall as i was on the phone to my dad.

what gets me the most is the fact that the extremists feel 'hard done to'! what?! it's the americans who should be seeking revenge! almost 3,000 died because they went to work, they have no control over what these extremists are so pissed about. they tarnished the muslim faith forever, they'll never have a leg to stand on because of what they did.

on the grid.

I was on holiday in Costa Dorada, remember walking into the bar and seeing it on the screens. Stayed in there all day watching the TV in disbelief that day.

Other Muslims should hate them for the permanent damage they have done to that faith.

My thoughts are with the families who lost their loved ones that day & all the heroes that helped.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Today marks the 9th anniversary of the tragic events that occurred in America on 11th September 2001. It is certainly this century's 'where were you when...' moment. Everytime I see the footage of them cowards smashing into the twin towers, it still sends a shiver down my spine.

this century isn't over yet.

i was in work & heard about it on R1.

a family friend was supposed to be in work (doing work experience) very near to the Trade Center, on the day her friends in NYC & her mom (in the UK she was living here & Sarah [her daughter] was living in their apartment in NYC) were trying desperately to contact her after they had heard/seen what had happened, but her mobile was going straight to answerphone every-time, her mom was in a frantic state as you can imagine & at one point she said to her friends that she (Sarah) was dead, in NYC most things were shut down the phones power in lower Manhattan were shut off & mobiles stopped working due to overload, so nobody could contact anyone really & people didn't want to go out into the streets either,

fortunately (i suppose you could say) Sarah had been quite ill during the night & had decided not to go into to work, as she hadn't slept she had turned her mobile off & only woke-up in the afternoon, realizing what had happened & what all these missed calls were about tried to tell her friends/mom she was ok but the phones were still out so it wasn't till the evening that she could tell them she was ok & what had happened to her, also in the 24 to 48 hours after she received the messages her friends & family had left her.

i also don't believe that the terrorists were acting alone, nor do i believe the 9/11 Commission report.

:)

I didn't know exactly what happened till later that night i was 10yo and at Kingswood on a school trip doing an assault course when a teacher ran over crying and telling us to get inside quick something really bad was happening in new york. so we ran in got into main hall where there was a TV set up showing the towers on fire then collapsing it was just so horrible everyone including me was in tears at the end of the night.

No... this century isn't over yet... (and is some way off it) but this incident will take some beating.

you would be surprised,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaf6NuKRHE?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaf6NuKRHE?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlWSv0NZBRw?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlWSv0NZBRw?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:)

I was at school, in Year 1 as well, but the teachers didn't tell us anything. When I got home, my parents were talking about two towers and planes, but I didn't know what was going on at all. I realised it, when I read the papers the day after.

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

I remember, I was at work when I got a text from a friend just saying 'plane crashed into Twin Towers, something crazy going on over there'. Tried looking on the usual news websites, but all were pretty much crashed by the weight of traffic from other people trying to find out what was happening. My brother-in-law had cause to go there occasionally with his work, so checked to make sure he was ok and he gave loads more detail from colleagues actually at the scene. It was a very memorable event, and I'm sorry to say somehow was even more shocking to me than the London bombings years later. 9/11 is my 'JFK' moment, one I'll never forget.

Can't remember where I was when the Berlin Wall came down though. Probably in the pub.

I was just waiting for someone to reply "I was in nappies so I don't really remember it at all" and make me feel old.

Like DC, I was 13, had just started year 9 at a new school. Heard about it on the radio, could tell something was up because Southern FM doesn't normally devote many minutes to the news but it was constant rolling news. Can't believe it's 9 years ago now.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I was working in a call centre had not long been on duty, we had sky news on all the time with the volume off but volume soon went up. Saw both of them go into the towers, everyone was glued to screens went home after my shift and watched the news for hours. Reading Tom Clancy's book not long after that made me wonder how it was able to happen and if that was where they got the idea from. For those of you who havben't read "Debt of Honor" a Japanese pilot crashes a jumbo Jet into the Capitol building. For 7/7 was doing care work and turned up at clients house and saw it in his newspaper and watched in on the news. Had brother in law and his girlfriend who lived and worked in London.

As bad as it sounds i seem to remember being annoyed as all the kids tv was cancelled, and they kept showing the same video... i was just 7 at the time...

i do remember cbbc moving to bbc 2 at the time, the other 4 terrestrial channels were rolling the news. i was a cartoon network viewer back then and they ran as normal when i checked, like nickelodeon did. there had to be some form of escape for children, not knowing how brutal the next act of terror could of been on live tv.

on the grid.