Unofficial Mills

Bieber's a brat!

Jono

Why are you doing the Great North Run?

I’ve got into running over the past year, which I never thought I’d do as I was always the crap kid at sports day. I’ve stopped drinking and see a personal trainer three times a week. I feel so much better and get so much more done. It got to the point where the hangovers were so bad it outweighed the fun. I’m running for Asthma UK. Lots of people run for the cancer charities but asthma seems neglected. I suffered from it myself as a kid.

What’s been your worst on-air moment?

I’ve been on air for 20 years and have never sworn but I accidentally said ‘s***’ a few weeks ago. I was devastated that after 20 years it suddenly slipped out. Now I’ve done it once I’m worried it’ll happen again.

You started as a commercial radio DJ at 16. Did you know what you were doing?

I got an overnight show as soon as I left school, from 1am to 6am. I made all my mistakes there and worked out what to do and what not to do. I’ve got my first show on tape and put it on my computer recently. I put on a really deep voice so people wouldn’t know I was 16. My voice sounds the same then as it does now. It’s ridiculous.

Why did you want to be a DJ?

I was a really shy kid and spent hours listening to the radio. It seemed like a great way of talking to people without having to meet them.

Who were your favourite DJs?

I was fascinated by Radio 1, this massive station that covered the whole country and the DJs seemed super-famous. As I worked my way up commercial radio I kept sending tapes to Radio 1 trying to get on there but it never happened. I was 25 and thought it was too late, they didn’t want me. But decided to send one last CD. They asked to meet me. I thought they were going to say: ‘Here’s where you’re going wrong,’ but they offered me a job. I phoned my mum straight after. It was surreal. I never thought I’d do it.

What was the first record you bought?

Thriller by Michael Jackson. I collected all the Now That’s What I Call Music albums. My younger brother, who was like Damien from The Omen, got into a rage and snapped all of them in half.

Are you waiting for Chris Moyles to leave so you can take over the Breakfast Show?

No, I’ve known him for years, longer than anyone else at Radio 1. I don’t see him as a rival. I go round to his house and we have drinks together. If he leaves and they offer it to me then brilliant but I’m not sticking pins in voodoo dolls of him.

Were there any signs of David Hasselhoff’s drink problem when you worked with him?

No, there was no alcohol in the house at all or anywhere near him. I fancied a glass of wine one night and was told there was nothing in the house. It was just carrot juice and water. He drinks a lot of coffee.

Who is the rudest celebrity you’ve met?

Pamela Anderson was a whirlwind of nonsense. She came on the show, didn’t answer any questions and as she left she threw a piece of paper at me saying ‘read this’, which was the details of her TV show. Justin Bieber isn’t the friendliest either. Seriously, someone needs to have a word with him. He’s a precocious little brat.

Have you ever had a supernatural experience?

I’ve done so many of those shows. I was once in a castle with Yvette Fielding for Most Haunted and we both felt strangely sick. It was probably because it was 4am and we hadn’t had anything to eat. But that’s the only time out of all my ghost-hunting experiences I thought there might be something in it.

For more information on Scott Mills’s fundraising go to www.asthma.org.uk.

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/839226-scott-mills-justin-bieber-hes-a-precocious-little-brat

Aww, I used to read the Metro everyday on the bus when I was in England. And now I'm back home again and they print a story about Scotty. Why couldn't they do it during my stay??

But Scott is absolutely right. Bieber is just a little boy who thinks he's cool, but in fact isn't.

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

I can believe that about Bieber.

I've been watching an awful lot of My Super Sweet 16 recently, and rich people really can be bitches.

It's nice to hear about genuinely nice famous people. On the podcast recently, I think it was on The Best Of Oh!, Will Smith named all his staff, and knew loads about them, that was nice.

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

I watched some of My Super Sweet 16 the other day, but after a while I had to turn it off as I got sick of the girls in it! My 16th was just as the exams started so my birthday celebrations consisted of a cake made by my friend, a few rounds of 'Happy Birthday to you...' and getting to light a hydrogen ballon in my last ever Chemistry lesson!

My goodness, that's a pretty funky donkey!

I saw this (loved the Bieber comment) and what interested me most was:

I’ve been on air for 20 years and have never sworn but I accidentally said ‘s***’ a few weeks ago.

Gutted I missed this. Love hearing these slip ups and the attempts to cover up afterwards! I searched the show clips/Google but couldn't find it. Any chance someone has a copy of this clip?

This doesn't surprise me either!! (in the nicest possible way).

I was watching Meet The Hasslehoffs yesterday, and The Hoff met Scott's family and that was said. From around the age of 6 he used to do broadcasts in his lounge, and got his grandfather to do the weather. Scott sounds really sweet when he was younger. (:

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.