Unofficial Mills

Whiley: Leaving weekdays was on the cards for a while

Jono

JO Whiley reveals how trading early starts as a radio DJ for the school run has made her happier than ever.

SHE may have been sidelined by the BBC last year in favour of 27-year-old Fearne Cotton but rather than feeling sorry for herself, Radio 1 DJ Jo Whiley is revelling in the extra time she now has to spend bringing up her four children India, 18, Jude 11, Cassius, nine, and Coco, who is nearly two.

In a major shake-up in July last year Radio 1 moved Jo from a primetime weekday spot to weekend lunchtimes.

For the previous decade she had been introducing Britain to the best of new music. Her Live Lounge show saw bands such as Coldplay perform live sessions and Jo counts the queen of pop,Madonna, whom she has interviewed several times, among her fans.

When the 44-year-old was replaced by the youthful Fearne the BBC was accused of ageism but Jo herself has no animosity towards the BBC or her younger counterpart. “I couldn’t carry on doing that show forever,” she says.

“It would have been selfish to stop up-and-coming people. You have to step aside. It was on the cards for ages. I was meeting with producers and we were discussing when to call it quits. It’s a young station and you must have young people at the forefront but I think there’s also room for people of all ages and interests.”

That’s not to say Jo wasn’t daunted at the prospect of having so much more time on her hands. “You do get into a rut sometimes,” she admits. “Change is quite frightening but when it finally came about I thought, this is really good for me.”

On hearing that Fearne was to be her successor Jo sent her a text to wish her well. “I told her to enjoy it and savour it because when you’re doing something like a weekday radio show you’re so busy you often don’t get a chance to step back and realise how much you’re actually enjoying life.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/194848/Jo-Whiley-I-finally-have-time-to-eat-breakfast-with-my-children

Fearne is much improved however these days, and sounding much more relaxed.

not that most people will even give her a listen to find this out... I've at least listened to Sara Cox recently (OK so I was kind of a captive audience, but still) to find out I still find her incredibly annoying and false, it's more than the predictable FearneHaters have done.:rolleyes:

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Yep, I think people quickly judged the Cotton and damned her, before really giving her a chance to "grow" in the Slot.

I still think she is more suited to TV stuff, but am also enjoying her on radio more + more!!

The Cotton/Gok Wan interview has been one of my favourites so far!! Great chemistry and very entertaining!!

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Fearne is better than when she started and has improved, but I'll never be a huge fan of her on the Radio. What was fustrating is for me there were obvious better options for the slot in Sara Cox (who I really don't think can ever be descirbed as false) or Annie Mac yet they went for Fearne. I think he celebrity status influenced their decsision over genuine radio talent which is a shame.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Agreed. I think the thing that annoyed most R1 listeners was not that Fearne got that slot, but that other more credible DJ's/Presenters didnt. And as people have mentioned Fearne has had time to grow into that slot and is sounding better/more comfortable, but maybe she should have spent the last year hosting a show on her own at a lesser peak time to gain the following, as opposed to straight over from a bit part in the Reggie Yates show to a peak time slot! Greg on the other hand earned his place on daytime radio when the changes were made.

I think they were really trying to freshen up the station though. By putting Sara in, good as that would be, it just wasn't as fresh as it could be - it would just feel like more of the same. Someone who hosted the breakfast show 6 years ago still on in an important slot? It wasn't what the management were trying to do. No, on paper putting Fearne on was a good move - similarly, so was Greg's move. I'm still not keen on Cotton, but she is better, and whilst I hate to admit it, seems popular in the key demographic. Perhaps Annie would have been good at that time - but did she want it? You don't know what conversations took place prior to the announcement - perhaps Mac turned down the slot as she didn't want it?

When she did that cocktail thing with Matt, the show was quite funny. Maybe Fearne would be better with someone like Beccy... I like her though; she isn't my favourite DJ, but she's not that bad.

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

it's not about being "fresh", it's about getting people who are the best at the job on at important times on a national radio station. all that putting fearne on mid mornings acheives is appealing to children who can only listen during the school holidays.

on the grid.

it's not about being "fresh", it's about getting people who are the best at the job on at important times on a national radio station. all that putting fearne on mid mornings acheives is appealing to children who can only listen during the school holidays.

and what have they actually done during holidays... stuck an old DJ on instead. :rolleyes:

Also I thought part of Radio1's remit these days was to be 'fresh' and 'down with da kidz' etc.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

down with toddlers, thats why radio 2 is even winning over young people now. fact is, radio 1 was much cooler and appealing 9 years ago, it had edge, style. now it's just presenters who are told what to say, i've never heard fearne or edith say anything remotley interesting. ever. all they talk about is films, big brother or x factor. or some album that the radio 1 playlist team has told them to promote. only moyles is the one who will take risk, and he's on the way out now.

on the grid.