Unofficial Mills

The Surgery booked in for daytime appointment on Radio 1

awinfield999

BBC Radio 1 has announced today that 15-minute editions of The Surgery* will be broadcast during its daytime programming, when this year's exam results are issued, to offer support and advice to those who have received their grades and are deciding what to do next.

On the days that the GCSE, A Level, Standard & Higher results are announced, Aled Haydn Jones is set to host a special 15-minute Surgery during Fearne Cotton's weekday show (10am-12.45pm).

During each mini Surgery, Aled, alongside an expert, will answer texts, take calls from listeners and give advice that will help students decide the next steps to take.

Standard & Higher results come out on 5 August, A Levels results are issued on 19 August, followed by GCSE results on 24 August. On each of these dates, phone lines open from 10am and Aled and a team of experts will answer calls and offer advice and support to students before The Surgery begins on air. The number to call from 10am on each day is: 03700 100 100

Listeners will also be able to get lots of advice on the recently re-launched Surgery advice website, at: bbc.co.uk/radio1/advice.

Aled Haydn Jones says: "Exam results are a significant event in the lives of our young listeners, so it's important we reflect that throughout the day on Radio 1.

"The mini Surgery specials will be a place where listeners can share experiences and we can give help, support and advice when it's needed."

Radio 1 and BBC Radio 1Xtra's social action campaigns are an integral part of the stations' ethos and service to young people – offering support networks/information and a platform for young people to give their opinions.

The stations have an exceptional reputation for raising awareness of different topics and for the information they provide. Recent campaigns have included body image, volunteering and The Summer Surgery.

Radio 1 is available on FM, DAB, Digital TV and online at bbc.co.uk/radio1.

Notes to Editors

*The Surgery with Aled Haydn Jones is on every Sunday from 9-10pm on Radio 1

**Standard rates apply. The Radio 1 text number is 81199 – network rates apply.

Latest Jingles: 2010 Beds Package, 2009 and 2010 ID Packages, Newsbeat 2009/10.

http://www.freegary.org.uk/

It's good it's getting more attention!! (badly needed).

I still preferred the 2 hour slot, I'm afraid.... and I'd like to hear that back again!! And maybe back to the later time of 10 pm - midnight as well.

It's on at the same time as BB, so now I have to have one earphone plugged in, and the other ear listening to BB.

It ain't easy. :-(

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I think I was too busy having fun and forgot all about the exams and actually having to find out how I did in them :D

Hahah fairynuff

How long before they do a Sunday Surgery 'Home Visits' Tour?

(if that now happens and it gives someone at the BBC an idea, I want credit dammit :hahaha: )

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

It's good it's getting more attention!! (badly needed).

I still preferred the 2 hour slot, I'm afraid.... and I'd like to hear that back again!! And maybe back to the later time of 10 pm - midnight as well.

It's on at the same time as BB, so now I have to have one earphone plugged in, and the other ear listening to BB.

It ain't easy. :-(

Yeah, it is a good show, and a 2 hour version would be great, because they keep running out of time with the newer slot. However 9 - 10pm is good for me as I don't watch BB and 10pm - midnight is a little late for me.

I do have to agree I think the Surgery lacks something in the hour-long slot. For me, The Surgery at 10pm-12am was the one 'Switch' show which appealed to a wider audience. I guess they succeeded to dumb it down by dropping it to an hour. I just don't think it appeals as much as it did.