Unofficial Mills

New Newsbeat Imaging...

newsbeat

Hi guys,

On the BBC Commissioning site, there is a chance to bid to produce new Newsbeat imaging. It will start airing in September.

I'm wondering what it will sound like, in my opinion, Newsbeat's imaging has always been good.

Here's the links to the pages and .pdf files

Site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/radio/network/radio1.shtml

Imaging brief: http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/radio/network/docs/r1_1x_news_ident_2010.pdf

What do you lot think? Does the Newsbeat imaging really need changing? What will it sound like?

Discuss below...

Latest additions:

- Full Imaging Beds package (2009-2010)

- 2009 re-voice by Music4 (DRY+WET IDs, chart numbers 1-40)

- BBC Top Gear - Backing beds used in programs

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember when newsbeat had no music bed, just a jingle. they only bought it all in around 12 years ago. i think they make it so it matches the whole imaging of the station in general, i think the theme that they run now is probably the best they've had for 8 or 9 years.

on the grid.

Normally the Newsbeat imaging changes every two years, I believe this one has only lasted a year but I could be wrong. I think there'll be a station wide refresh in September so makes sense.

The current package can trace it's roots back to Jan 2007. Throughout 07+08 it was used with voice updates when they got a new voiceover.

It was remixed into the theme you hear on-air now in Dec'2008. It's been in use on-air since Jan '09.

Latest additions:

The current package can trace it's roots back to Jan 2007. Throughout 07+08 it was used with voice updates when they got a new voiceover.

It was remixed into the theme you hear on-air now in Dec'2008. It's been in use on-air since Jan '09.

True. It seems to be partly in this clip here from 2007 -

http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/communities/local_links.php?catid=5&linkid=384

i remember when newsbeat had no music bed, just a jingle. they only bought it all in around 12 years ago. i think they make it so it matches the whole imaging of the station in general, i think the theme that they run now is probably the best they've had for 8 or 9 years.

Ah yes, I put my sister's tape recordings somewhere of Zoe Ball and Mark Goodier's Radio 1 programmes in 1997 and all they had was a voice-over saying "97-99 FM, Radio 1...Newsbeat". Plus the news readings sounded so formal - ie: what we have on Radio 2 today... :D

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Ah yes, I put my sister's tape recordings somewhere of Zoe Ball and Mark Goodier's Radio 1 programmes in 1997 and all they had was a voice-over saying "97-99 FM, Radio 1...Newsbeat". Plus the news readings sounded so formal - ie: what we have on Radio 2 today... :D

Do you have access to them or able to upload them somewhere? They'd be good to listen to

take control

I've only been listening to Radio 1 for about a year, so I wouldn't know :(

Do you have access to them or able to upload them somewhere? They'd be good to listen to

Yeah, definitely. Please do that!

The last time I played it was a few years back and the quality was so poor, I'm guessing by now some bits have disintegrated. Add to that my sister moved out a couple of months ago so I doubt she'll know where she had put it.

Luckily infact I kept a copy posted on a forum of the BBC Radio 1 Road Show (The Big Weekend of the day, or so I'm told...) in 1997. Includes Newbeat updates and I would be happy to PM a link for anyone intrested.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Luckily infact I kept a copy posted on a forum of the BBC Radio 1 Road Show (The Big Weekend of the day, or so I'm told...) in 1997. Includes Newbeat updates and I would be happy to PM a link for anyone intrested.

Ooh, yes please. Thanks a lot.

This OK? It's from Newsbeat 1996

Newsbeat 1995 had a News In, News Bed, sports Bed, Weather, and 2 news out's.

Far as I know, Newsbeat 1996 only had this news in voiceover and a mini tail bed after the voice. I can edit one from newsbeat 1997.

Newsbeat 1998 onwards had full packages, eg: news ins, instrumentals, news beds, sport beds, weather, news out etc, and in around 2001 they introduced alternate mixes.

BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat 1996.mp3

Latest additions:

. I think there'll be a station wide refresh in September so makes sense.

There will be, almost certainly. In case you haven't heard, some new ID sweepers have gone live. They use a group of voiceovers and emphasize on saying 'BBC Ra-di-o-1'. Anyway, going off-topic now!

Is that newsbeat 1996 jingle OK with you guys?

Latest additions:

There will be, almost certainly. In case you haven't heard, some new ID sweepers have gone live. They use a group of voiceovers and emphasize on saying 'BBC Ra-di-o-1'. Anyway, going off-topic now!

Is that newsbeat 1996 jingle OK with you guys?

Heard them, hence my reasoning for thinking there'll be a refresh in September!

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Not working for me :( Never mind, you shouldn't have to help me out. I'll look for myself.

I've PM'd you

Latest additions:

Heard them, hence my reasoning for thinking there'll be a refresh in September!

Suppose so. Listening to some beds, some of them aren't ageing very well

Latest additions:

I've only been listening to Radio 1 for about a year, so I wouldn't know :(

i'm so sorry that you missed out on some of radio 1's greatest years.

i have a two chris moyles shows from 1997 on my harddrive, when he was on early breakfast. the news is read on there with no background music. come the ones i have from 1998, there was.

on the grid.

I love listening to the old Radio 1 stuff; my dad used to tape Dave Pearce shows on Friday nights. I would've loved to listen to John Peel back in the day, but at the moment Zane Lowe and Huw Stephens are my two favourite 'music DJs'.

I think Greg is best at the moment, anyway, we're going off-topic again.

I'm interested in what the new imaging will sound like!

Latest additions:

It says the Newsbeat jingles will be launched in September. Surely, unless these are male-voiced only, or dry, recording them with the current Female vocalist, would be a waste of money, if a new female voice is launched in October?

Latest additions:

Treu, but they would have to pay to sign-up a voiceover, regardless of where it's recorded

Latest additions: