Unofficial Mills

Are Radio 1 milking the big weekend too much?

Sorry if this is wrong forum/not worthy of a thread.

I think the big weekend was great even though I didn't go (and the streaming was awful) and Moyles and Greg's show last week were fantastic imo. But after having a whole weekend of live music, they've still got dedicated 2 hours (1 in Moyles and 1 on the 9 o'clock show) just playing big weekend stuff above all the stuff they play during the day anyway.

They are overdoing it a bit, would be nice to have a bit more non big weekend material.

they did the same 10 years ago and every year since, maybe it has gotten worse over the last 5 years or so though. i don't listen out of being uninterested in live performances from rihanna, although i expect the constant big weekend barrage every year now. but it's a bit much for people stuck on long journeys with it on in the car and such. i've also noticed how any previous big weekend is forgotten and deemed a disgrace somewhat.

come global, creamfields, t in the park etc. it will have all moved on.

on the grid.

Yeah, I'm starting to hear the same live songs two and three times over now, its time to get back to normal playlist. I mean, I've not heard the Chemical Brothers 'Galvanise' or Ian Carey Project for over a fortnight........ :D

A nice pic of Aled at Bangor though.......

post-7623-145327881498_thumb.jpg

I like hearing the odd song slotted in throughout the day. I would like to hear a bit more variety and perhaps a few acts from the Introducing stage.

I find the hour Chris does in the morning way over the top!

AND I thought the weekend was a bit of an anti-climax this year (especially the online / radio / red button) compared to last year at Swindon and 08 at Maidstone!

I am all for blanket coverage in the week leading up to it and at the weekend itself, but when its over they should just move on. If they want to go on about it on the Monday thats fine but to go on about it all week is ridiculous. I loved the preceeding week to the Big Weekend but they are milking it for all its worth at the moment.

I think it was okay a bit before, and the weekend itself was good, but so far afterwards is just annoying. It's as if they're saying, "look what you didn't get to see... again! Hahaha...".

I'm tired of the same music. The playlist is bad enough, without these low quality recordings being repeated all the time.

:(

...And I keep seeing the ads!

post-7791-145327881514_thumb.jpg

Ohai.

I quite like it... Maybe it's because I went and it is a nice memory... but whatever.. I do like it

thing is. the one you've been to will be looked upon with shame by radio 1 this time next year, in comparison to 2011's event. apparently. so was it not a waste of time then? wasn't the last 9 years a waste of time?

on the grid.

No it was really fun

no my love. i didn't mean waste of time for you going, i meant will radio 1 look upon it as a waste of time come next year when the so called even better and bigger one takes place.

on the grid.

I have just realised probably why Radio 1 go on about it so much. All of the artists that perform don't get paid and so the reason they perform is for the extensive media coverage that Radio 1 give them. If Radio 1 say to an artist or their record label 'We won't pay you, but we will give you money-can't-buy free publicity on this huge radio station for the week before and after the event', then that probably attracts bigger and better artists to take part in the event. I expect the DJs themselves have little choice how much to talk about it.

I have just realised probably why Radio 1 go on about it so much. All of the artists that perform don't get paid and so the reason they perform is for the extensive media coverage that Radio 1 give them. If Radio 1 say to an artist or their record label 'We won't pay you, but we will give you money-can't-buy free publicity on this huge radio station for the week before and after the event', then that probably attracts bigger and better artists to take part in the event. I expect the DJs themselves have little choice how much to talk about it.

Yeah the DJs don't get much of a choice, as Moyles made fairly obvious this morning.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Yeah the DJs don't get much of a choice, as Moyles made fairly obvious this morning.

I know that was so funny. He asked people to text in if they wanted an end to the live section 9 - 10. Text after text came in saying stop the live section. Moyles read them all out and then said,

"Right on with the live bit!"

More to the point why does Radio 1 bang on about Wales so much? It's not just the Big Weekend thing. You have Aled going on about it every day, Hugh Stevens also bangs on. Really they should balance this out with Scottish, Northern Irish and English titbits x