Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Night on BBC 2

Jono

It looks like that documentary is going ahead on Sunday 9th May.

ENTERTAINMENT: When Moyles Met the Radio 1 Breakfast DJs

Date: Sunday 9th May 2010

Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

DJ Chris Moyles looks at how the Radio 1 Breakfast Show has reflected life in Britain over the past 40 years, as he meets his predecessors in the early morning slot. Former hosts Mike Read, Mike Smith, Simon Mayo, Steve Wright, Zoe Ball, and Sara Cox reveal the highs and lows of their reigns on Breakfast, and Tony Blackburn, who launched Radio 1 in 1967, explains why the Breakfast Show has always kept its finger on the pulse of the nation. (Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)

DOCUMENTARY: Blood on the Carpet

Time: 22:00 to 22:40 (40 minutes long)

Walking with Disc Jockeys. Documentary series about corporate battles. When Matthew Bannister was appointed Controller of BBC Radio 1, his plans to make the station cool again began with the ousting of a number of long-serving DJs. But they would not go quietly, and millions of listeners were lost. Bannister thought he had found a saviour in new DJ Chris Evans, but when he also departed he left the managers with only each other to fight. (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)

COMEDY: Smashie and Nicey: The End of an Era

Time: 22:40 to 23:25 (45 minutes long)

Spoof documentary about Fab FM's most eminent DJs, Dave Nice and Mike Smash. Top pop celebs pay tribute to the 'poptabulous' duo's outstanding contribution to British rock and pop history, and the programme charts their rise to stardom through a series of searching in-depth interviews and rare archive footage from the last 40 years. (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)

ENTERTAINMENT: Wogan

Time: 23:25 to 00:00 (35 minutes long)

Radio 1 20th Anniversary Special.

Terry Wogan hosts a chat show celebrating the 20th birthday of Radio 1. With guests John Peel, Tony Blackburn, Bruno Brookes, Janice Long, Mike Smith, Dave Cash, David Symonds, Ed Stewart, Pete Murray, Carl Wayne and Johnny Hates Jazz. (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)

DOCUMENTARY: The Radio One Story

Date: Monday 10th May 2010

Time: 00:00 to 00:55 (55 minutes long)

A celebration of one of the nation's favourite radio stations, Radio 1, chronicling the station's triumphs and scandals, and using rare archive footage as well as contemporary interviews with DJs, pop stars, backroom staff and fans to illustrate the station's history. Narrated by David Essex. (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one question, why ?

why isn't this on R1, yet another attempt to get R1 listeners to tune into R2, it didn't work with Chris Evans & this won't work either.

Who mentioned Radio 2?

one question, why ?

why isn't this on R1, yet another attempt to get R1 listeners to tune into R2, it didn't work with Chris Evans & this won't work either.

BBC2 as in TV, not Radio2 ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, only showed your latest post after I posted that

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Who mentioned Radio 2?

i misread, i thought it was radio 2 not BBC 2 :*

anyway the one where Moyles meets is the one where Evans wouldn't meet him - git. it makes little difference if they get on, Evans should have acted like a man & done a interview after all he was a big part of the breakfast show, i hope for either, that Evans is completely missed out of it or that Evans was asked but said "no".

:)

it makes little difference if they get on, Evans should have acted like a man & done a interview after all he was a big part of the breakfast show, i hope for either, that Evans is completely missed out of it or that Evans was asked but said "no".

I agree entirely. He was such a famous R1 Breakfast Show presenter it's a shame he won't feature.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Will have to set the VCR. This looks tops! Could be almost as good as the ES'D 1967 programmes they did when R1 was 40. BTW does anyone have copies of them? I only managed to hear the Moyles one.

Only the moyles 1 with music edited out

But you can 'LISTEN' ;) to it here

http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1666&idP=

james_ryder.png

WHEN MOYLES MET RADIO 1 BREAKFAST DJs: Sunday 9th May, BBC2, 9pm ALERT ME

In October of last year The Times published an article stating that Chris Moyles had lost Radio 1 “700,000 listeners” which had the bookies forecasting that he’d be gone by the new year. He isn’t and continues to present the coveted breakfast slot to this day.

Regardless of your opinion towards Moyles, this is a bad documentary. His opening gambit is a vapid analysis of what makes great radio: “There has to be some substance”. He then goes on to cite Michael Jackson’s death and the break-up of Jordan and Andre as “My stories…I can’t wait to hear what the others have to say”. The ‘others’ are former Radio 1 DJs (with the notable absence of Chris Evans who declined an interview) who are cajoled by Moyles into reminiscing, bleary eyed about their encounters with the rich and famous which I suspect is the “substance”. At one point Mike Read recounts an incident on a skiing holiday with Cliff Richard (shudder) that ended up with Read ‘n’ Richard playing guitar for Princess Diana while princes William & Harry sang into Mars Bars. Moyles, evidently gripped by this story, proclaims rather jealously: “I don’t have one story that nearly compares to that”.

Any opportunity to really investigate the radical changes that Radio 1 have undertaken in years past are constantly undermined by Moyles’ inability to interview without interrupting his subjects, some of whom look visibly peeved by his ‘style’. At one point Mike Smith – who only enjoyed a brief tenure at Radio 1 and now runs his own helicopter company – turns on his interviewer and states : “[DJs] are talking to themselves…I have to include you in this”. Moyles puts his hands up in surrender and then leaves the topic alone, sensing that Smith probably wants to put him in a dodgy chopper and get rid of him.

What we’re left with is a series of banal nostalgia trips from B-List celebrity DJs. Zoe Ball recalls her first meeting with Fatboy Slim: “Who walks up? Mr Cook…we went to loads of different clubs…I couldn’t speak the next morning”. Sara Cox can just about muster up the brain cells to remember the resulting furore surrounding her claims that “the Queen Mum stinks of wee”.

BBC2 are going to show this documentary which seems slightly bizarre considering that it made me never want to listen to Radio 1 again, so long as Moyles is at the helm anyway.

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2010/05/08/when-moyles-met-radio-1-breakfast-djs-review/

WHEN MOYLES MET RADIO 1 BREAKFAST DJs: Sunday 9th May, BBC2, 9pm ALERT ME

In October of last year The Times published an article stating that Chris Moyles had lost Radio 1 “700,000 listeners†which had the bookies forecasting that he’d be gone by the new year. He isn’t and continues to present the coveted breakfast slot to this day.

Regardless of your opinion towards Moyles, this is a bad documentary. His opening gambit is a vapid analysis of what makes great radio: “There has to be some substanceâ€. He then goes on to cite Michael Jackson’s death and the break-up of Jordan and Andre as “My stories…I can’t wait to hear what the others have to sayâ€. The ‘others’ are former Radio 1 DJs (with the notable absence of Chris Evans who declined an interview) who are cajoled by Moyles into reminiscing, bleary eyed about their encounters with the rich and famous which I suspect is the “substanceâ€. At one point Mike Read recounts an incident on a skiing holiday with Cliff Richard (shudder) that ended up with Read ‘n’ Richard playing guitar for Princess Diana while princes William & Harry sang into Mars Bars. Moyles, evidently gripped by this story, proclaims rather jealously: “I don’t have one story that nearly compares to thatâ€.

Any opportunity to really investigate the radical changes that Radio 1 have undertaken in years past are constantly undermined by Moyles’ inability to interview without interrupting his subjects, some of whom look visibly peeved by his ‘style’. At one point Mike Smith – who only enjoyed a brief tenure at Radio 1 and now runs his own helicopter company – turns on his interviewer and states : “[DJs] are talking to themselves…I have to include you in thisâ€. Moyles puts his hands up in surrender and then leaves the topic alone, sensing that Smith probably wants to put him in a dodgy chopper and get rid of him.

What we’re left with is a series of banal nostalgia trips from B-List celebrity DJs. Zoe Ball recalls her first meeting with Fatboy Slim: “Who walks up? Mr Cook…we went to loads of different clubs…I couldn’t speak the next morningâ€. Sara Cox can just about muster up the brain cells to remember the resulting furore surrounding her claims that “the Queen Mum stinks of weeâ€.

BBC2 are going to show this documentary which seems slightly bizarre considering that it made me never want to listen to Radio 1 again, so long as Moyles is at the helm anyway.

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2010/05/08/when-moyles-met-radio-1-breakfast-djs-review/

Ah good. A Moyles hater from a shite website.

ChrisHewgill.jpg