Unofficial Mills

Colin Murray or Chappers to present MOTD2?

Jono

With Adrian Chiles stomping off in a lucrative huff to ITV, BBC management are mulling over his replacement as the host of Match Of The Day 2. Colin Murray, who has impressed BBC Sport executives since adding weekend anchoring duties on 5 Live to his role as host of the fast‑paced quiz show Fighting Talk, is the strong favourite.

Murray has long divided opinion as host of Channel Five's football coverage but executives believe his style would be an ideal fit for MOTD2, which has become increasingly popular under the stewardship of Chiles. He could be thrust into the role in time for the World Cup, with a nightly highlights show expected to be a key part of the BBC's plans.

Gabby Logan will present this Sunday's show, but there is no urgent need for a full‑time replacement ahead of the World Cup as Gary Lineker was already scheduled to host the final two programmes of the season due to the high proportion of key matches on a Sunday. Also keen on the job, but less likely to get it, is Mark 'Chappers' Chapman. Another familiar BBC Sport face, Clare Balding, is being talked of as a potential replacement for Chiles as host of the Apprentice spin‑off show, You're Fired.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/21/colin-murray-adrian-chiles-motd2

Colin or Chappers are probabaly natural choices for thsi and Ill be shocked if Murray isnt the favourite. Though to be honest I think the BBC will pull someone really random in for it. For example look who's been brought in to replace Johnathan Ross on Film 20??!

I read somewhere tday that Richard bacon, dermot O'leary and Ben Shephard are favourites for either One Show or apprentice show.

Chiles will be missed! I really like him!

Good luck to Colin, but I still prefer him as a music DJ or interviewing pop stars etc!!

Id prefer it if he ended up doing the 'One show' instead of Match of the Day!

I would agree 100% with you here, I would love to hear him back on his radio 1 show. I really enjoyed it, not that Grimeshaw is bad or anything I enjoy him too, but Murray was easy listening/enjoyable, when he was on. That said, I do hope he gets the MOTD2 gig since that's the direction he picked to go with his work...

Colin or Chappers are probabaly natural choices for thsi and Ill be shocked if Murray isnt the favourite. Though to be honest I think the BBC will pull someone really random in for it. For example look who's been brought in to replace Johnathan Ross on Film 20??!

I read somewhere tday that Richard bacon, dermot O'leary and Ben Shephard are favourites for either One Show or apprentice show.

Chiles will be missed! I really like him!

When Chiles takes a spot on GMTV maybe it will put Ben Shephard out of a job and he could take the 4day a week spot on the one show ?

Chappers has Chiles to thank for his role on 5 Live this summer as it would have been Colin doing his job if Chiles had not gone to ITV

That's quite a negative way of putting it. Chappers took a change in career and has obviously done pretty well. So well that when an oppurtunity comes up to go to the World Cup he got the chance to go. You make your own luck :)

[He seems popular enough when doing Fighting Talk and such on 5Live, better than radio1 audiences seemed to receive him anyways, or maybe he's just better received when doing football coverage (wouldn't know, don't watch it]

Im not sure about this! On radio 1, I think Colin had a lot more fans and supporters compared to a few disenters. - especially for his late night show.

If you read forums on things like Digital spy, he is almost universally slated for his sports shows! I think people get really put off by his accent and his past attempts on shows like RI:SE to play the clown. and dont realise how intelligent and dry his sense of humour really is. Like talking about himself as a 'green presenter' for MOTD2, playing on the fact that he is new but also a NI football supporter!!

As I dont actually like football or sport that much I cant really comment on how he is as a sports reporter , but I think he did get better reviews and was better recieved as a music DJ!

But good luck to him

That's quite a negative way of putting it. Chappers took a change in career and has obviously done pretty well. So well that when an oppurtunity comes up to go to the World Cup he got the chance to go. You make your own luck :)

I agree Chappers is doing a fine job on 5 Live and maybe the way I said my last statment was wrong but the basic fact was that Chappers got the chance to go the world cup because Colin got moved to TV plain and simple.

If you read forums on things like Digital spy, he is almost universally slated for his sports shows!

If you read DS you tend to read about people being slated... you'd be hard pushed to find a compliment about anyone.

If you read DS you tend to read about people being slated... you'd be hard pushed to find a compliment about anyone.

Agreed. I'm a regular poster on there and find there are very few broadcasters they universally like. They are over critical and all think becuase they follow broadcasting closely they are experts. As one poster on there who works for ITV onse stated, the views of Digital Spy are not a good reflection of public opinion as a whole. The Beeb aren't daft, if Colin was that unpopular on their and Five's sports programming he wouldn't have got this gig, he is now effectively the Beeb's number 2 football presenter.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Is Colin keeping his 5Live show ?

I'd imagine he'd definitely keep the Friday night one and Fighting Talk on Saturday Morning. It would make sense for him to keep presenting the Sunday one 12-6 as he'll get to watch all the games (it's not like he's a pundit who'll have to prepare VT's he'll just need to have his script) especially given that out of 6 hours, about 3 and a half will be commentary.