Unofficial Mills

The Surgery Discussion Thread

newsbeat

I know. I think we've all done stuff online, including revealing far more than we should.

Scott was also saying last night that potential employers are likely to google your name these days before employing. And he was highlighting the fact you should google your OWN name as well, to see what is being said about you.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly ever even USE my full name (or even necessarily my real one) online, and I have my facebook set to completely private until someone adds me as a friend, but then it seems I am in the minority there and it might just be because I've worked in the IT industry that I knew more about the risks etc. It's good that Radio1 is doing something to highlight this.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Yeah, I can't see the appeal of the Geotagging that has now become popular, if I want everyone to know where I am, I'd give the town/city at absolute most, some people end up giving co-ordinates that link to GoogleEarth or something, which is possibly asking for trouble unless you're already IN some sort of trouble (or simply lost) and need saving.

Aled was saying he had switched off the aspect of his phone that could locate him (I didn't even know there was such a thing), then he announced to the World on twitter he was IN HYDE PARK ON HIS OWN!! :hahaha:

Look at what Jono has done this afternoon!! A joke, but still encouraging mischief!!

@jonoread "If Fabio only has 2 weeks he should set off the fire alarms at the FA, burn some shirts and put whoopee cushions in the main FA offices".

NO.

BTW, Aled was also saying he keeps a dossier with all his passwords. How shocking is this too!!

It's fascinating how the simplest of things may be taken the wrong way by people who don't know you. The "Welcome Along" thing (to do with Greg James) had tweeted about missing something - I had replied "Your brain", only to receive a really confused reply in return. One person's sense of fun is definitely not necessarily someone else's.

The context can be taken so wrongly you know... Someone has tweeted me this afternoon to ask if I was being sarcastic about looking out my hot water bottle for tonight (I wasn't).

I liked the documentary - even interesting for those fully clued up on social networking which I wasn't expecting. Still can't get comfortable with the hour long format though.

on that front, I can also massively recommend Dr Aleks Krotoski's The Virtual Revolution series, there's an episode of that called The Price Of Free (or something like that) that covers the same thing.

it was interesting to hear about online privacy from Scott and Aled, because I knew both of them often (or even too much ;)) use Twitter or Facebook. Every other person would have said "don't use facebook, but IF you use it, don't put your real name on" or anything like that.

Btw, googling myself is boring, I did it a few times and the only people coming up were vets, architects or even writers...

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

The documentary was quite interesting (thanks Aled for that). Nihal seems to be a nice bloke, but, don't know, I prefer Aled. In my opinion Aled has exactly the right voice for a show like the Surgery. Nihal may be good on other slots, but I don't really like him covering for Aled.

The documentary was quite interesting (thanks Aled for that). Nihal seems to be a nice bloke, but, don't know, I prefer Aled. In my opinion Aled has exactly the right voice for a show like the Surgery. Nihal may be good on other slots, but I don't really like him covering for Aled.

To be fair, if I was to have anyone covering the Surgery it would be Nihal, because he hosts a phone-in on the Asian Network and the format is fairly similar.

He's certainly better than getting someone like Tom Deacon to fill in.

Maybe I'm just a too big fan of Aled? Might have been a bit annoyed when Nihal came on air instead of Aled (somehow I missed the post on here...). :D I don't know any others sitting in for Aled, as I started listening to R1 only a few months ago. Might listen again to Nihal, without wondering where Aled is... :oops:

I don't know any others sitting in for Aled, as I started listening to R1 only a few months ago. Might listen again to Nihal, without wondering where Aled is... :oops:

Yeah, Nihal has sat in for Aled on The Surgery a number of times.

The Summer Surgery

Sunday 25 to Thursday 29 July

9.00-10.00pm BBC RADIO 1 and BBC RADIO 1XTRA

The Surgery's Aled Haydn Jones hosts a one-stop shop for advice this summer on BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 1Xtra.

As young people all over Britain are gearing up for their first festival experience, their first trip abroad with friends, getting their first summer job or simply embarking on their first summer of discovery, The Summer Surgery is there to give advice on all of the subjects that are important at this time of year – sex, drugs, alcohol, body image, jobs, money and travel.

From Sunday 25 July to Thursday 29 August, Aled hosts a Live Surgery every night between 9pm and 10pm, which will be simulcast on both networks. Each evening Aled and resident Surgery expert, Dr Mel and guests, will be getting hands-on with the burning issues that are heightened during the summer months.

The Surgery with Aled on Sunday 1 August on BBC Radio 1 will look back at this week's highlights.

BBC Radio 1 Publicity