Unofficial Mills

Lamacq and Whiley's Evening Session to return

Jono

DJs Steve Lamacq and Jo Whiley are to revive their much-loved music show the Evening Session, it has been announced.

The programme, which was the soundtrack for millions of students' college years with its parade of indie acts, will return next month.

The duo - who hosted the Radio 1 show together from 1993 to 1997 - will revive their partnership on threatened station BBC 6 Music.

Whiley and Lamacq helped to champion Oasis when they were an up and coming band and the Gallaghers also made a notorious appearance in 1997 when they turned the airwaves blue.

The revival of the Evening Session will initially be a one-off on Good Friday, April 2, but it is hoped further shows could follow.

The show, started in 1991 by Mark Goodier, sound-tracked the 90s for a generation of music fans. Lamacq and Whiley teamed up to take over two years later and Lamacq continued the show alone when Whiley moved to her own programme, until the Evening Session was axed in 2002.

Lamacq said: "I jumped at the chance to work with Jo again, because we both have slightly different visions of what pop music is, but they seem to complement each other. Plus, if you make a mistake, you have someone to cover for you.

"We'll be revisiting some of the music, interviews and sessions from the 90s which we covered the first time around - people like Blur, Oasis and Radiohead - while also showcasing bands and tracks we're excited about now."

Whiley said: "I'm looking forward to being back on air with Steve on a show that is really close to my heart. Being reunited with my radio partner after all these years will be a lot of fun and will bring back memories for not just us but the people who grew up with us too.

"Plus it'll be fun to see how many we got right and how much we got wrong. Can't wait."

• 2 months later...