Unofficial Mills

Matt Edmondson to cover for Sara Cox on BBC Radio 1

DJ89

Date: 23.02.2010

Category: Radio 1

From 14 March 2010, BBC Radio 1's recent signing Matt Edmondson will be stepping in for Sara Cox whilst she goes on maternity leave.

Matt, 24, is already a regular fixture on Fearne Cotton's show every Friday where he dishes out the latest showbiz news and now he'll front the Sunday morning slot.

Matt will be on air from 10am to 1pm every Sunday presenting The Lie In – a combination of entertainment stories from the week, along with the latest hits with a few classic tracks thrown in.

On his first solo show, Matt says: "I'm ridiculously excited about getting started on The Lie In – I've been busying myself in the basement of Radio 1 HQ and have got some great stuff planned for the show – I can't wait."

Ben Cooper, Deputy Controller on BBC Radio 1, says: "It's always exciting when brand new talent start on Radio 1. I'm really looking forward to hearing Matt on a Sunday morning with his particular take on the world."

Matt also works as a celebrity writer and interviewer, and has worked in various other presenting roles, including fronting the 2008 coverage for the Isle of Wight festival as well as reporting from T In The Park in 2009.

BBC Radio 1 Publicity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/02_february/23/radio1.shtml

Ahem? http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/communities/showthread.php?t=13934

Anyway. I'm rather looking forward to this. Shall miss Sara of course, but it'll be interesting to see what Matt can do. I think it'll be a pretty good listen.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

It's an odd one, it worked with Vernon, Chappers and Dave and Sara but it doesn't seem to work with the younger presenters like Dick and Dom. Also it's not very radio1 tbh.

I have loved it with Vernon, Chappers and Dave and Sara. It's a must listen on a Sunday.

I like The Lie in and hope it continues, even for an hour. Dick and Dom made a point of saying they picked the tunes when they did it and music wise I think The Lie in was at its strongest when Dick and Dom were at the helm.

*Awaits barage of abuse*

I prefered Vern's music tbh. I prefer Sara format wise (even when not live!) but the music does lean towards the cheesy side a bit too often for my liking.