Unofficial Mills

Peter Kay's Britain's Got the Pop Factor

Jono

It's on Sunday at 8pm on Channel 4.

Peter Kay returns to television with his first new work for four years, an affectionate spoof of hugely popular reality talent shows such as The X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent. It's the live final of Britain's Got the Pop Factor and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice presented by Cat Deeley and it's down to the last three finalists: R Wayne, 2 Up 2 Down and Geraldine.

It sounds promising but I hope it's not going to be another failure like Little Britain USA.

I have no hopes for this at all. Kay turned into a giant moneygrabbing tossbag over night, and his work deteriorated big time. That Peter Kay Thing was great. Phoenix Nights was a stroke of genius at times. Max and Paddy, not so much. And then the novelty records and the pointless chat show appearances where he tried to be a new Billy Connolly in trying to create a "TV moment" and the book and the worthless DVDs that just re-released old material over and over until people got bored of funding the damn bungalow for his mother; it just really soured me on him big time.

Furthermore, by the sounds, this is an "affectionate spoof" which means it'll be garbage. Spoofs are usually nothing without genuine venom and creative ideas. This looks like an Extras-style "hey look, we're in on the joke - we love it really" love-in that'll serve to keep his name in the press and set up a Christmas record and even more money into his pocket from the dregs who lap up everything he does.

But that's just one guy's view. I'm sure it'll be a raging commercial success.

I really wanted to see this, but I missed it :(. I went home for the weekend (my friend took me) and on the way back we got stuck in traffic for about two hours, pure guttedness because it meant we missed this. Was it Channel 4? Think I'll 4OD it...

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I enjoyed it. I think he could have took it further though. It was amazing how far he went to produce it - a parody of Tonight, all of the judges and presenters, the stars, etc.

Peter Kay's spoof reality show attracted Channel 4's biggest audience of the year so far last night, Sunday October 12.

The show, Peter Kay's Britain's Got the Pop Factor and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice, had 5.5 million viewers and a 20% share of the audience between 8pm and 9.15pm, according to unofficial overnight figures.

However Kay's spoof show could not beat the genuine reality article on BBC1, with the Strictly Come Dancing results show averaging 7.4 million viewers, 27% of the audience, between 8.15pm and 9pm.

Kay's comedy was watched by another 600,000 viewers an hour later on the digital timeshift service, Channel 4+1, giving a total audience of 6.1 million.

Britain's Got the Pop Factor … returned for a "results" show over 45 minutes from 10.15pm with 3 million viewers, a 15% share. A further 200,000 watched on Channel 4+1.

It was funny, but too close to the original reality ideas, Its also really bizarre to see judges and presenters from reality shows..are they trying to be hypocritical of the format of reality shows?.or say how wonderful they are?

Because if it was meant critically..how on earth can Pate waterman and cat Deely do it, when they have earnt loads of money from the thing they are trying to make a mockery of? Or is that part of the joke, the presenters are too thick to realise that they are part of the joke itself?

I didn't think it was very good at all. I couldn't discern whether Kay was attacking reality television or pointing his scorn at the type of people who appear on them. For the most part the ridicule seemed to be aimed squarely at the weak and the indefensible, rather than the judges or the people who make them.

Kudos for the mockery of the formats of these shows, but that's it.

I didn't think it was very good at all. I couldn't discern whether Kay was attacking reality television or pointing his scorn at the type of people who appear on them. For the most part the ridicule seemed to be aimed squarely at the weak and the indefensible, rather than the judges or the people who make them.

Kudos for the mockery of the formats of these shows, but that's it.

I agree completely!

Woah look! It's DJ Drew!

See the reason Xfactor auditions are funny is because they are genuine. So when the auditions are fake, the comedy factor isn't there.

Bingo! It was a cheap excuse to wheel out Rick Astley and Lionel Blair and say "LOOK, PEOPLE FROM THE 80S! WEREN'T THE 80S FUNNY? REMEMBER THE 80S? REMEMBER DURAN DURAN AND PAT SHARP AND THE DAYS WHEN THERE WAS NO CHANNEL FIVE? WEREN'T THEY GREAT?" whilst the public laugh out loud and say "yeah, we do, they were amazing, Peter Kay is hysterical because he reminds us of the past, and the fact that he's singing a song whilst dressed as a woman is brilliant - what a proper legend lol".

You said it'd be a failure. The viewing figures would say otherwise though? It may not have been a huge success but it wasn't bad. While some have overused the term 'legend' and are quick to praise Kay, you sound like you're trying too hard to be controversial, and that is just as tiring to see.

i hope it gets to number one!

if a spoof of a reality music show can get to number one, it just shows how far the shows have brought the uk chart down :(

every single singer/band that have come from one of these shows have no talent what-so-ever & i don't care if there entire family are dead, so what! do people who have suffered really have better singing voices than 'normal' people ? i don't think so.

i have never watched them & i never will ! (i didn't watch Britain's Got the Pop Factor either)

:)