Unofficial Mills

What's your preferred method of listening to radio?

Jono

What's your main method of listening to radio?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's your main method of listening to radio?

• FM Radio/MW Radio
    • DAB Radio
    • Television
    • Website
    • Phone App
    • Smart Speaker
    • Podcasts
    • Listen Again
    • Other

11 hours ago, Jono said:

Blimey, no votes for FM so far.

I still have an FM radio as alarm clock if that counts. :) (I just find it more reliable than a phone.)

It's funny though how FM is actually less accessible (at least for me) since most phones no longer have it and internet became cheaper.

14 minutes ago, vorti said:

I still have an FM radio as alarm clock if that counts. :) (I just find it more reliable than a phone.)

It's funny though how FM is actually less accessible (at least for me) since most phones no longer have it and internet became cheaper.

Yeah funny that all phones used to have a ‘FM Radio’ app now they don’t. Shame really, as that was great but now with AppStore’s you can get Spotify and other music apps now so I guess a radio app is not nesscsary as  a default app now 

Also I have a clock radio but mines DAB and FM but I don’t use FM as I can’t be bothered going through and finding my local frequency. And DABs more useful 

I have a DAB radio with an FM tuner, this is the main device I listen on. Don't really see the point using FM for Radio 1 when the quality is just as good on DAB, but sometimes if a station has a low bit rate or is only in mono on DAB I'll opt for the FM equivalent. 

You can't vote for more than one option, but I also listen to podcasts, and occasionally on my PC or phone depending on where I am. Luckily my phone is one of the few that still has an FM tuner, I get a fair amount of use from that.

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

I have a DAB radio with an FM tuner, this is the main device I listen on. Don't really see the point using FM for Radio 1 when the quality is just as good on DAB, but sometimes if a station has a low bit rate or is only in mono on DAB I'll opt for the FM equivalent. 

You can't vote for more than one option, but I also listen to podcasts, and occasionally on my PC or phone depending on where I am. Luckily my phone is one of the few that still has an FM tuner, I get a fair amount of use from that.

Bloody hell! Must be an Android one then as I had to download radio apps like BBC Sounds on my iPhone!!

Yeah with the whole DAB thing as well. I have to agree perfectly with you. Mine has a FM option but I don’t use it. As Radio 1 sounds so much better on DAB!!!! 

I'd say Spotify + podcasts comprise the majority of my listening. Our equivalent of DAB in the U.S., "HD Radio", is not prevalent outside of major cities and their are only 7 HD stations in our area. I do listen to the local FM/AM stations for NPR, BBC World Service, sports programming, college radio (shoutout LCC Radio and The Impact), and even the two local Top-40 stations (which have a glut of commercials and a narrow playlist). As far as online streaming of "traditional" stations - BBC Radio 1, 5Live, World Service, and TalkSport, more live sports (I have an MLB audio subscription for baseball), and whatever random ones I find in the TuneIn app.

Over here we have SiriusXM satellite radio - a subscription service with tons of commercial-free music + talk, news, sports, comedy, etc. That usually takes precedent in the car. They even had Radio 1 at one point - it's a shame they can't make room for that but have a Kidz Bop channel FFS.

As far as audiobooks I'm not a fan. I'd much rather read the paper copy myself.

26 minutes ago, marack99 said:

I'd say Spotify + podcasts comprise the majority of my listening. Our equivalent of DAB in the U.S., "HD Radio", is not prevalent outside of major cities and their are only 7 HD stations in our area. I do listen to the local FM/AM stations for NPR, BBC World Service, sports programming, college radio (shoutout LCC Radio and The Impact), and even the two local Top-40 stations (which have a glut of commercials and a narrow playlist). As far as online streaming of "traditional" stations - BBC Radio 1, 5Live, World Service, and TalkSport, more live sports (I have an MLB audio subscription for baseball), and whatever random ones I find in the TuneIn app.

Over here we have SiriusXM satellite radio - a subscription service with tons of commercial-free music + talk, news, sports, comedy, etc. That usually takes precedent in the car. They even had Radio 1 at one point - it's a shame they can't make room for that but have a Kidz Bop channel FFS.

As far as audiobooks I'm not a fan. I'd much rather read the paper copy myself.

Radio 1 used to be on Sirius if I remember right? So what’s the Sirius Xm Like then. Is it like what you US people call ‘Cable TV’ but Radio basically?

• 1 month later...

I have a DAB tuner in my car so I can access Kisstory/Kiss/Absolute (since they binned it off 105.2)/Radio X. But coverage is really crap which is amazing considering I live 10 mile away from England's second biggest city, Birmingham. So usually go back to FM/MW for absolute or 5 Live when it breaks up.

I actually have an FM tuner on my phone, but it uses the headphones as an antenna which is as good as a chocolate teapot. So with my 3 unlimited interwebs, tunein app. So it's a mix of all for me.

on the grid.

• 1 year later...