Unofficial Mills

RAJAR Q4 2018

Jono

A strong start for Greg James' breakfast show, clearly he's been a breath of fresh air, but it doesn't seem to have helped stem the losses overall for Radio 1.

Greg James has added almost a quarter of a million listeners to BBC Radio 1's Breakfast Show audience since taking over the slot in August, the latest RAJAR figures show.

The presenter, who succeeded Nick Grimshaw at the end of August last year, drew an average of 5.1 million listeners in the final quarter of 2018.
The new data, based on figures in the October to December period, accounts for James' first full quarter as host of the show, which runs from Mondays to Thursdays.

It is an increase of around 240,000 listeners compared to the previous quarter (July to September), which saw the show pull in a weekly average of 4.9 million.

http://unofficialmills.co.uk/2019/02/greg-james-increases-listeners-of-the-radio-1-breakfast-show/

Good for Greg:lol: I mean i did some research and he was at Radio 1 for 11 years before getting breakfast. So it's proof to the beebs that he not old news!

11 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

The station as a whole though, has unfortunately lost listeners. 

But, it sounds like Matt and Mollie are doing well as well as Greg! 

I thought Radio 1 would be up but oh well.

I never enjoy seeing Radio 1's figures drop, but it's undoubtedly a big market out there.  Wonder what would happen to the figures if the likes of Capital were on national FM.  What do we all think the future looks like for Radio 1?  I'd like to imagine it'll survive, and in say 50 years (or later than that) it'll be online on some new platform, supplementing the on demand audio content (podcasts, etc) and might even be better with attracting young audiences, what with the easy access, and the fact people will want that bit of personality and hand picked music along with Spotify etc.  I know it's ridiculously far into the future to think about, but it's really fascinating to hypothetically think about.