Unofficial Mills

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga

bream1

There have been a few number 1s that Radio 1 hasn't playlisted over the years, either because they don't quite fit Radio 1 or just aren't very good. They tend not to playlist songs from film soundtracks I think - just look how long The Greatest Showman lingered in the charts, but was never playlisted. 

15 hours ago, OohErr said:

There have been a few number 1s that Radio 1 hasn't playlisted over the years, either because they don't quite fit Radio 1 or just aren't very good. They tend not to playlist songs from film soundtracks I think - just look how long The Greatest Showman lingered in the charts, but was never playlisted. 

Thank you for your reply.

I guess your third reason rings true. 

It makes me smile that the song their own listeners have voted the best in the land at the moment, is not on the list.  

I'm so glad Shallow made number 1 :D

10 hours ago, anothernerd said:

Greg played it... a couple times hasn’t he?

I cant say I've heard it on his show but not saying he hasn't. The dj's don't really mention the song.

Wait, it was played on the chart show by Scott Mills because they kinda had to I guess. That proves that they are allowed to play it.

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to remember Radio 1 didn't playlist 'Hips Don't Lie' by Shakira in 2006. Thats gone on to be a song you'd still hear today.

Ithought that was a strange one as they played MVP Rock Your Body, and Black Eyed Peas Hey Mama in the previous couple of years. Which were very similar to Shakira's track.

on the grid.

21 hours ago, DC said:

I seem to remember Radio 1 didn't playlist 'Hips Don't Lie' by Shakira in 2006. Thats gone on to be a song you'd still hear today.

Wow... I didn't know R1 back then, here this was one of the most overplayed songs of its time. 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:34 PM, bream1 said:

Ok so Shallow is number 1 and I love this song. Could anyone please tell me why it's not played on radio 1?

My first thoughts were that maybe musical/soundtrack songs like this don't quite work on the radio or only successful because of the fans of the movie. Then I heard the song a couple of times (including Lewis Capaldi's cover) and I really like it, even though I couldn't care less about the movie. I would've been happy if they threw one of the mumbling mood-killer rap tracks out in favor of "Shallow".

But thank god getting charted doesn't automatically mean getting on the playlist. By now I'd be traumatized by "Baby Shark" for sure...