Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Breakfast with Greg James - First Thoughts

OohErr

I dunno, I quite like it. If they did a full 40+ minute podcast every day they'd pile up and I'd never listen to them, whereas this is manageable. But yeah, a weekly podcast would achieve largely the same thing. I'm really looking forward to his podcast with Chris Smith whenever that arrives.

Well, you've got a point there. Still, Scott's podcasts are 30 minutes +, and I listen to them anyway. I think that 5-10 minutes format would be good to put on yt, not in a podcast form. And it would make more sense with more visual stuff - Red Arrows display or interviews. 

Oh yeah, it cannot come fast enough. I already miss the class act that is Chris Smith with the News. Although now we should probably say simply Chris Smith. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Tea20 said:

Some old features are starting to return... Impossible Karaoke was on yesterday and What's My Age Again returns tomorrow with Jodie Whittaker off of Doctor Who!

Yayyyy! I’ve missed that, just Rage to come back now and they’ll have them all back, I’m not expecting them all to be every week though! 

6 minutes ago, Chris D said:

Nice to hear some of the old classics. I'm just waiting to see if North Star Caller returns, with Chris Smi... Santa!

Also, has anyone noticed that the old ten minute takeover music keeps getting played on occasion? 

When did the countdown music change? I seem to remember on the first few shows that the beeps hadn’t changed but the rest of the beds had. 

Or I’m imagining it, which is possible. 

1 minute ago, Ant L said:

When did the countdown music change? I seem to remember on the first few shows that the beeps hadn’t changed but the rest of the beds had. 

Or I’m imagining it, which is possible. 

No, you're right! It changed a couple of shows in. To be fair, that countdown was ancient :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nearly 3 months on it's such a great Breakfast show. He's still sounding fresh loving his job and life as a whole which is just perfect. The features are perfect the show sounds so slick. But he has that charming yet sarcastic humour that most of us love. What's My Age Again I'm so pleased it made it back. Unpopular opinions is a polite morning Rage. LOVE this show 10/10

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, OohErr said:

Greg's birthday show today. This Festive Feeling thing - I can't make my mind up about it. It's cute, and it's not bad radio... But it's not very funny is it? It's a bit preachy for me.

Definitely agree. I think that it’s a nice idea but its spread out over a large portion of the peak listening time of the show and a tediously long package of it has been repeated numerous times throughout the day on every show, which makes it seem even more preachy

• 3 months later...

Been seeing a few quotes on Twitter today from a speech Greg gave at some European Radio Conference. To summarise, Greg really doubling down on the whole "the listeners are more interesting than me so I make it about them" thing.

Honestly, I can't say I agree. If that's the case then anyone could be doing the show - the reason Greg does it is because listeners are interested in him and his stories. He never used to do that shtick in the afternoons - it was HIS show, so I don't know where the whole modesty thing comes from. It's almost like he's embarassed to be there. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listener's stories when they're funny and weird like on Scott's show, but not when they're the main attraction. I DO want to hear banter between presenters and stories from their own lives, that's why I listen - I've built up that relationship with the presenter over the years.

I'm really sad about how little Greg's breakfast show does for me, I'd wanted him to get the gig for years and I really wanted to like the show but whenever I listen I just get fed up with how safe it is. And I used to love his afternoon show with Chris Smith. Haven't listened for months, although with local breakfast shows on Capital ending I'm not sure where I'll end up. Danny Mylo on Pulse 1 in West Yorkshire does a good show. Maybe I'll come back to Greg at some point, but for now I've gone right off.

8 hours ago, OohErr said:

Been seeing a few quotes on Twitter today from a speech Greg gave at some European Radio Conference. To summarise, Greg really doubling down on the whole "the listeners are more interesting than me so I make it about them" thing.

Honestly, I can't say I agree. If that's the case then anyone could be doing the show - the reason Greg does it is because listeners are interested in him and his stories. He never used to do that shtick in the afternoons - it was HIS show, so I don't know where the whole modesty thing comes from. It's almost like he's embarassed to be there. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listener's stories when they're funny and weird like on Scott's show, but not when they're the main attraction. I DO want to hear banter between presenters and stories from their own lives, that's why I listen - I've built up that relationship with the presenter over the years.

I'm really sad about how little Greg's breakfast show does for me, I'd wanted him to get the gig for years and I really wanted to like the show but whenever I listen I just get fed up with how safe it is. And I used to love his afternoon show with Chris Smith. Haven't listened for months, although with local breakfast shows on Capital ending I'm not sure where I'll end up. Danny Mylo on Pulse 1 in West Yorkshire does a good show. Maybe I'll come back to Greg at some point, but for now I've gone right off.

From the way this is going, it feels like Greg is just a temporary host until they can find someone dynamic and different.  He’s bland on Breakfast.  I almost wish Grimmy had stayed on.