How Long Have You Been Listening?

7 posts in this topic

Just wondered where we're all at with our Radio 1 listening career and how it started. 

I'm 19 so I've got a while to go until I'm too old, and I've been listening since 2009. Radio 1 was always on in the barber shop I used to go to, and when I got given a radio in my bedroom Radio 1 was the only station I knew that played chart music. The rest is history. I started listening at around the same time they were experimenting with live streams of The Chris Moyles Show so that probably played a part in my transformation to radio nerd. 

Anyone else?

I never really listened solidly to Moyles, I remember hearing in the news when he was doing that world record show, and Fearne Cotton agreed to do the livestream in a swimsuit and the Radio 1 website crashed...

I first started listening one summer in 2012, when Sara Cox was covering Fearne's show, and gradually listened to the other shows at uni, and got hooked on the podcasts for train journeys home and back! Scott and Greg made me the radio nerd! I feel like I definitely missed on some excellent years of Scott's though! Listened from the Pippa and Travis years of Greg, though!

It's been about 4 years exactly since I've been listening to Radio 1. I'm a 19-year old radio nerd from the U.S. and had been flipping through international stations on TuneIn when I first came across Grimmy on breakfast, which I thought was alright at the time but when Scott & Chris ended up covering I realized I was missing something great. I've listened to every Scott Mills Daily since then. I added Greg James' podcast as well and podcasts continue to be my typical method of consuming R1. When I do "tune" in live I've enjoyed Alice Levine, Jordan North, and Annie Mac when they're on. Matt Edmondson is pretty meh to me but I haven't heard him with Mollie to make a judgment there. Likewise, the breakfast show (1:30a-5a) and Clara Amfo (5-8) aren't on at good times to listen over here. I do appreciate Adele Roberts (11p-1:30a) who has provided a soundtrack to many a late-evening homework/study sesh. She's an underrated talent IMO.

I'd probably listen a lot more if SiriusXM put Radio 1 back on over one of the duplicate top-40 stations they have. It would be a unique addition to their lineup.

Edited by marack99

I first started listening around the start of 2011. I came across the weekend schedule first actually which at the time consisted of Edith, Vernon/Sara, Huw and Reggie. I loved it, I'm getting nostalgia thinking back to it now. I just got completely obsessed with everything about the station; the jingles, the features, the music etc. I too am 19 and will probably be giving student radio a try when I go back to university in September (been arsing about making my own podcasts for a few years) so think it's time to take my radio geekery to the next level :D

17 hours ago, Marcus17 said:

I first started listening around the start of 2011. I came across the weekend schedule first actually which at the time consisted of Edith, Vernon/Sara, Huw and Reggie. I loved it, I'm getting nostalgia thinking back to it now. I just got completely obsessed with everything about the station; the jingles, the features, the music etc. I too am 19 and will probably be giving student radio a try when I go back to university in September (been arsing about making my own podcasts for a few years) so think it's time to take my radio geekery to the next level :D

well done on the student radio thing, iv'e just started presenting on a local community station here, but because of my "day" job I cannot commit to a regular show but I can cover other shows and all, it's great fun 

I started listening in about 1988 in the days of Mike Read on weekends and Bruno Brooks, used to love Steve Wright and remember the era of Zoe and Kevin on breakfast, and Dave Pearce on a Sunday night 

I only noticed Scott in about 2004 when he started Drivetime, but had life in the way so rarely listened until 2009/2010 when i started hardcore 

Something happened recently, i tweeted about my radio debut and Mills liked it 

For me it was round 2013-2014. I'm not from the UK and never lived there, but I've loved your culture ever since reading Harry Potter at the age of 10. So I just used to read loads of British authors, watch your telly, then go there on holidays and then I discovered that you have brilliant radio too.

At first I used to listen to Radio 4 because I enjoyed the comedy bits. And it was a nice and simple way of practising my 'non-book' English (I'm not a native speaker). Then one glorious day I've decided to switch to Radio 1. First show that I've tuned in to, was Matt in for Scott. I didn't know what was going on at first but I got hooked on straight away. It was so silly and heartwarming that you couldn't help but love it. Then Scott came back and I just fell in love with him and Chris. I'd also say, that they played slightly better music back then (or maybe that's just sentiment speaking) so it was just perfect. 

I used to listen to almost everyone, being a student I'd had quite a lot of free time back then. Now it's just Scott and Greg, occasionally Breakfast Show and The Early Breakfast Show. I catch up on podcasts too, if I can't listen to Scott or Greg live. 

Edited by Aleks_