Nick Grimshaw Interview in the Sunday Times Magazine
0

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

It's a really revealing article actually. It's behind a paywall but I'll put the key points here.

• He parrotted the same line about listening figures and social media engagement Ben Cooper likes to use after every bad RAJAR but a bit more strongly - he said RAJARs are "almost meaningless" 

• He signed a new contract last September which was the point when Ben Cooper asked him when he wanted to leave the breakfast show and Grimmy picked the time after he'd passed Tony Blackburn

• A standout memory is the show after the Manchester Arena bombing and having to guide people through it

• Other personal highlights consist entirely of guests - Harry Styles after the BRITs, Stormzy bringing in 20 pizzas and Alan Carr

• He thinks it's silly and fake to not namedrop the people you've been hanging out with

• He thought Angelina Jolie was cold and Will Smith was fake-nice and patronising to off-air staff but Kim Kardashian was surprisingly genuine

• He's never had a boyfriend but would like to try and get one now he'll have more time

• He wants to become a set designer in the future - he designed the Royal Academy's Christmas tree last year, did an internship at a set design company (Es Devlin) and is starting a set design course at Central Saint Martin's art school in September (I had no idea about any of this and it's really interesting)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OohErr said:

• He signed a new contract last September which was the point when Ben Cooper asked him when he wanted to leave the breakfast show and Grimmy picked the time after he'd passed Tony Blackburn

So I wonder when they decided this, if Ben knew immediately if Greg would be the replacement ? 

I wonder if Mills was approached first and said no - would be interesting to find out although we probably never will 

I reckon Greg signed up when they went to the 4 day week i reckon that was the point they decided he was going on Breakfast and he did a bet of an Evans wanting only 4 early starts a week so they decided to give two of the other shows Fridays off as well 

I STILL STILL say Mills should have been the replacement for Moyles in 2012, maybe about 2010 time would have been better but then where would he be now, probably Radio 2, at least the way things have gone he's reinvented himself and continues to do so with things like the chart and all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OohErr said:

• He wants to become a set designer in the future - he designed the Royal Academy's Christmas tree last year, did an internship at a set design company (Es Devlin) and is starting a set design course at Central Saint Martin's art school in September (I had no idea about any of this and it's really interesting)

As if being a R1 DJ isn't a dream career. I'm not saying - you're bound to be that for the rest of your life, do just that, but it definitely sounds a bit weird to me. As if he's a radio DJ accidentally and would drop it if his other ideas kick off. Both Greg and Scott have always said that working at R1 is a dream come true and they feel so lucky to be able to do it. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but this is how I perceive this piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OohErr said:

It's a really revealing article actually. It's behind a paywall but I'll put the key points here.

• He parrotted the same line about listening figures and social media engagement Ben Cooper likes to use after every bad RAJAR but a bit more strongly - he said RAJARs are "almost meaningless" 

• He signed a new contract last September which was the point when Ben Cooper asked him when he wanted to leave the breakfast show and Grimmy picked the time after he'd passed Tony Blackburn

• A standout memory is the show after the Manchester Arena bombing and having to guide people through it

• Other personal highlights consist entirely of guests - Harry Styles after the BRITs, Stormzy bringing in 20 pizzas and Alan Carr

• He thinks it's silly and fake to not namedrop the people you've been hanging out with

• He thought Angelina Jolie was cold and Will Smith was fake-nice and patronising to off-air staff but Kim Kardashian was surprisingly genuine

• He's never had a boyfriend but would like to try and get one now he'll have more time

• He wants to become a set designer in the future - he designed the Royal Academy's Christmas tree last year, did an internship at a set design company (Es Devlin) and is starting a set design course at Central Saint Martin's art school in September (I had no idea about any of this and it's really interesting)

I have to say, Grimmy excelled with the Manchester Arena bombing show - the tone was spot on throughout, and guiding a nation of young people through such a tragedy was one of his best judged and needed breakfast shows.

I'd be interested in a revealing Greg interview that addresses his on-air partnership with Chris Smith and his attitude towards his new breakfast show next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0