Jump to content
Jordan12

Greg is the new Breakfast Show host as Nick Grimshaw quits

Recommended Posts

I think this is gonna be a really good week on Greg's show - he's bringing back loads of old features. So far today we've had Count the Cocks and What Is This Song In Panpipes with Chris Smith, and and he's doing Wronguns as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OohErr said:

I think this is gonna be a really good week on Greg's show - he's bringing back loads of old features. So far today we've had Count the Cocks and What Is This Song In Panpipes with Chris Smith, and and he's doing Wronguns as well. 

I think we will see the going home song on Thursday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

I think this is gonna be a really good week on Greg's show - he's bringing back loads of old features. So far today we've had Count the Cocks and What Is This Song In Panpipes with Chris Smith, and and he's doing Wronguns as well. 

I'm not good with changes and all these features that Greg's going to bring back this week just make me quite weepy.

I love listening to R1 in the afternoons, both Scott and Greg make all the woes of the day disappear with their kindness and silliness. I know that Breakfast Show is massive and Greg deserves doing it, but at the same time, can't help but feeling quite sad. I won't be able to listen to Greg everyday, as I am now. And not having Chris Smith 'with the news' on with Greg isn't helping at all. So it's all really bittersweet for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aleks_ said:

 

I'm not good with changes and all these features that Greg's going to bring back this week just make me quite weepy.

I love listening to R1 in the afternoons, both Scott and Greg make all the woes of the day disappear with their kindness and silliness. I know that Breakfast Show is massive and Greg deserves doing it, but at the same time, can't help but feeling quite sad. I won't be able to listen to Greg everyday, as I am now. And not having Chris Smith 'with the news' on with Greg isn't helping at all. So it's all really bittersweet for me. 

That's true, it was a great show that had an amazing run. There's always catch-up and the podcast. And if you really miss the old show, there's a few on www.radio1archive.blogspot.com and I'll keep adding more when I have time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg was just on with Grimmy teasing something exciting and mysterious they have planned for 4pm today, but they wouldn't say what it is and said only them and their producers knew about it. 

How exciting. I wonder what it could be. Marathon show? If they started today at 4 and finished Thursday at 8 or so they'd equal or beat Moyles' record.

EDIT: I've just listened back to the announcement, they said it had never been done before. So probably not a marathon show. I'm so excited to find out what it is. Roll on four o'clock!

Edited by OohErr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OohErr said:

Greg was just on with Grimmy teasing something exciting and mysterious they have planned for 4pm today, but they wouldn't say what it is and said only them and their producers knew about it. 

How exciting. I wonder what it could be. Marathon show? If they started today at 4 and finished Thursday at 8 or so they'd equal or beat Moyles' record.

EDIT: I've just listened back to the announcement, they said it had never been done before. So probably not a marathon show. I'm so excited to find out what it is. Roll on four o'clock!

I really hope they're not overhyping this! Grimmy, Greg and Chris Sawyer have all tweeted about being really nervous about it, lots retweeted by the R1 Twitter.

My guess... something like a live Rent-A-Greg (featuring Grimmy)

Edited by rickbutterfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rickbutterfield said:

 

My guess... something like a live Rent-A-Greg (featuring Grimmy)

As OhhErr said - they haven't done this before, so it's not that. They're probably going to some sort of location as Greg spoke to Scott and Chris from a vehicle (didn't even say what sort of vehicle). It's also end of term themed. No more clues, not long now to see what it actually is. 

Also OhhErr - big ups for that. Won't be the same, but hey, Breakfast Show deserves to be brilliant too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Neither was I. I love that song and thought it would be the type of thing that he’d  like as well. 

The first time it came around, he even had a bit of fun with it and got people to ask questions for which the answer was "I will leave a light on". Although maybe he was taking the piss all along!

Annoyingly I missed the show live so I'm listening back on iPlayer now, I'm nearly done, so some thoughts.

The chat with Chris Smith and Mayor of Where was great, I'm so glad they had a proper last chat and talked about their relationship. I noticed Greg specifically said "we are being separated". So that confirms that then. But it was so lovely to hear them reminiscing. 

The Ten Minute Takeover was great as well, I did wonder whether it was fixed though - the first song, You and Me Song by The Wannadies is just a bit emosh, Language by Porter Robinson was his opening bed for about two years and End Credits by Chase and Status used to be the music used for the montage of that day's show he used to play at about 18:55 for the first year or so of drivetime. Coincidence or what. 

The highlights montage was great as well. It's a shame for Greg's show that Grace isn't moving with him, although his loss is Scott's gain and hopefully we'll be hearing a lot of her on-air with him and Chris. And obviously the loss  of Chris Smith is a tragedy. I don't want to form an opinion on the new breakfast show before it's even started, and I'm sure whatever happens I'll like it a lot (or at least more than Grimmy's tenure) but it seems as if he's being set up to fail by not keeping his team in place. When Moyles moved from afternoons to breakfast, his core team was kept - him, Dave, Rachel and Aled. Only Georgina Bowman and David Garrido didn't move and they weren't really a part of the show outside of news bulletins. So breaking up the team is undoubtedly a mistake. But we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'm just in denial but I don't think we've seen the last of Greg and Chris on-air together - even if it's just occasional cover.

I remember reading this forum six years ago when the schedule changes were announced. I wasn't a member then, and I don't think any of the regular posters from that time are still around, but back then the forum understandably wasn't happy about Mills being taken off drivetime. Six years on, I think it was for the best - he's lasted way longer on Radio 1 than anyone would've expected back then whilst had he stayed on drive he might not have. And Greg's show was more than a worthy successor. I can't believe I've been listening to Radio 1 that long though - I was in year 8 when Greg started drivetime and I remember coming home to hear his first show, and now I've finished my first year at uni. Wow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on Twitter claiming to know for certain that the new schedule launches on 3rd September, with Scott on breakfast for three weeks.

They also reckon Greg starts at 6:30 and not 6.

Edited by OohErr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, OohErr said:

Someone on Twitter claiming to know for certain that the new schedule launches on 3rd September, with Scott on breakfast for three weeks.

They also reckon Greg starts at 6:30 and not 6.

Where is that tweet then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Tina's leaving breakfast... But is she moving to afternoons or leaving Radio 1 completely? If the former... WHAT ABOUT CHRIS SMITH????

 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Lee E said:

Where is that tweet then 

Here although I'd prefix it by saying that the person who runs that account spent all afternoon hurling abuse at a journalist who reported Big Brother is going to be cancelled, so I might take it with a pinch (or tablespoon) of salt... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, OohErr said:

Looks like Tina's leaving breakfast... But is she moving to afternoons or leaving Radio 1 completely? If the former... WHAT ABOUT CHRIS SMITH????

 

 

I would take a punt that she will be moving to afternoons as well? maybe she'll do the 1245 and 1745 like chris does now, remember Chris acts as a Manager for newsbeat on a Friday so maybe hes been promoted and one of the newer voices will join Greg OR the whole thing of "he's not moving with me" is a massive Decoy and in fact he WILL appear doing the 0630 news on day 1 of the new show, and we've been fooled like the hide and seek gag 

Tina is in a unique position I would say as she's been part of two "last" breakfast shows

I'm sure Moyles said to her on the last show something along the lines of "your'e okay love" I remember she was always more of a player on Moyles show and was very emotional on the last show 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To mark the end of The Chris Moyles Show, they did a live show in front of a studio audience amongst other things.

To mark the end of The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Nick Grimshaw... They're having a Rita Ora co-host. No, really. 

A (half) week of co-hosts - Rita Ora on Monday, Alan Carr on Tuesday, Maisie Williams on Wednesday and nobody on Thursday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OohErr said:

To mark the end of The Chris Moyles Show, they did a live show in front of a studio audience amongst other things.

To mark the end of The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Nick Grimshaw... They're having a Rita Ora co-host. No, really. 

A (half) week of co-hosts - Rita Ora on Monday, Alan Carr on Tuesday, Maisie Williams on Wednesday and nobody on Thursday. 

I remember the end of the CM era was massive, a whole month of massive guests, as you say the live Studio show and the last show which was also telivised on the red button, we don't even get that now the red button so we can see the Studios on the TV - even for the Lolothon and all

 

Rita Ora is no suprise, no wonder she's involved

I wonder if Greg could be co-hosting on the last show? I know Fiona is going to be there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember Moyles was leaving radio 1 though. Grimmy is just leaving breakfast show.

 

that was also just more Moyles-esque.

he used to do live birthday shows etc from theatres / not grimmys style at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly, they're not comparable. Grimmy's still going to be on R1, just at a different time. Same with Greg's show ending - there was no song and dance made about it, just a look back at the best bits over the years. I'd say Grimmy's last week will be similar. Even the announcement that they were swapping was pretty low key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...