Unofficial Mills

Greg is the new Breakfast Show host as Nick Grimshaw quits

Jordan12

I notice Chris hasn't been on Greg's show this week - What's My Age Again was with Danny Howard and Shouldn't Be News was with Clara Amfo and Simon McCoy, but he's been reading the news. I hope he isn't being phased out, his involvement was already reduced once before to its current levels.

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

I notice Chris hasn't been on Greg's show this week - What's My Age Again was with Danny Howard and Shouldn't Be News was with Clara Amfo and Simon McCoy, but he's been reading the news. I hope he isn't being phased out, his involvement was already reduced once before to its current levels.

He's probably been tied up with all this Brexit stuff (and other things). I hope he'll still be on the podcast!

There’s a lot of speculation here as to whether Grimmy has been asked to leave or whether it was his own decision. But nobody has raised the point about the amount of sickies he has pulled in his time as host. Quite a number! I don’t think I’ve ever known a presenter of any radio station to ever pull as many as he did. I sometimes question whether some were genuine, and maybe Cooper got fed up with it and decided to take him off breakfast.

As for Tina staying on breakfast, I’d like that. I can’t see Chris leaping over from his current slot. Tina staying on in 2012 was great and she is doing more and more TV work with the Beeb, however sleep the news as it is!

• 3 weeks later...

After the initial excitement about the Greg James breakfast show, I'm doing some serious expectation management right now. 

Chances are it won't be a total reversal of all the changes of the last six years. There'll still probably be the same amount of music as currently (at least to begin with), I have a terrible feeling Chris Smith won't be moved to breakfast (he's not on Shouldn't Be News again this week)... I haven't really got anything else to back it up, but it's just there at the back of my mind.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being pessimistic. But it's occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn't get too excited in case it turns out to be a disappointment. It'll still be better than Grimmy any day, but probably not the breakfast show us die hards have dreamed of since Moyles left.

Any one else got any thoughts?

Breakfast show wish list:

• Proper links
  • Less music
  • Less inane celebrity interviews that only last 6 minutes, split by 3 songs
  • Greg, Grace, Chris Sawyer with Chris Smith doing the news - zoo format please
  • Brand new features that aren't solid blocks of music (bonus if the feature isn't split by a song)

Chance of any of it happening? Unlikely, unfortunately.

I had hoped that one of the things that the Greg had proved to the bosses with the Pedal to the Peaks challenge, and the touching stories that came out of it as a result, was that people listen to the radio for DJs as well as the music, and are invested in their lives, and want to hear more from them, and are in fact a great comfort to a lot of people. You can go anywhere for non-stop music, people specifically come to Radio 1 for the DJs as well as the music. It's why radio podcasts have the followings that they do (Scott Mills Daily regularly charts, and look at the Elis James and John Robins Podcast).

One of the complaints of Radio 1 I here frequently is that the playlist is repeated every daytime show, pretty much - proper length links and slightly less music would certainly help that!

On 6/14/2018 at 5:23 PM, OohErr said:

Was Chris on What’s My Age Again today? I didn’t get to listen but I hope so. 

For the new breakfast show, I’m generally hoping that we get less music played (I doubt it), A great Zoo format with Chris, Grace and Chris with them all chipping in at various points and also brand new features with maybe only keeping a couple of current features. I also want the features to be recurring but not every week so if you turn on the radio, you don’t know what will happen. I want a surprise element! 

As for Grimmys new show, I’m hoping that he’ll get more time to be off script and himself where anything can happen. I’m expecting mostly new features (as he doesn’t really have much at the moment) and I’m hoping that he plays about the same amount of music that Greg does at the moment because I think that’s just right. 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, Graeme said:

Don’t you think they’re just resting Chris Smith so it’s a bit fresher with him back with Greg for the all new show?

That would be good but I'm not sure how likely it is - if they want it to be fresher when he starts the new show, the might as well just give Greg two months off. But I hope this is true. Alternatively, maybe it's just a case of Newsbeat rotas or staff cuts meaning he's not free to spend as much time in the studio away from his proper job as he used to be, but if he's the breakfast newsreader that could free him up.

I'm currently listening back to an old Greg show from 2014, back when they had Chris Smith doing Rage with him every week instead of a guest, and god it was brilliant. Those two are brilliant together.

Literally just announced on air right now: Greg's last drivetime show is Thursday 19th July. Two week's time! And at 6:35pm he'll play the song he hates most on the Radio 1 playlist.

He said he's taking "a little break" before the breakfast show starts, so I'd take that to mean no less than two weeks and no more than a month. Therefore, I reckon the breakfast show will start on either Monday 6th, 13 or 20th August.

Wonder who'll cover for the two weeks/month (I think a month is more likely as Moyles had a month when he finished afternoons and there's something about "little break" that sounds more long term than "holiday"). Could be Dev (and Alice?) but unless they got someone to cover their show too, they'd be on seven days a week for a month or four or five weeks. I reckon this could be Jordan's chance to shine, he could do a month on drivetime whilst still doing Greatest Hits on Sunday. Unless, that is, Maya Jama finds herself out of employment sometime soon...

And I wonder whether Grimmy will also have an extended break. There was just a week between Moyles ending and Grimmy starting (Scott Mills with the shortest breakfast show in Radio 1's history, it was funny - listen back if you can), but Moyles wasn't starting a new show. If they give them both a month off, we could have a month of Mills at breakfast and Jordan at drive, which would be a good alternative schedule.

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

Literally just announced on air right now: Greg's last drivetime show is Thursday 19th July. Two week's time! And at 6:35pm he'll play the song he hates most on the Radio 1 playlist.

He said he's taking "a little break" before the breakfast show starts, so I'd take that to mean no less than two weeks and no more than a month. Therefore, I reckon the breakfast show will start on either Monday 6th, 13 or 20th August.

Any guesses as to what song he hates most? 

Wow! I really wasn’t expecting his last show to be that soon, I think he’ll have a month off and start his new show on the 20th August. That will mean though that half an hour of it will still be the Summer Mix which would be annoying. And then Grimmy would probably take 2 weeks off and also start on the 20th which means that we might be getting Matt and Mollie doing Scott’s Show, Scott doing Breakfast and Jordan doing Drive. 

I think that the song he hates most might be Rise by Jonas Blue. It’s a very generic dance song and he doesn’t seem to like generic things that much. Alternatively it might be Yikes by Kanye West or ASAP Rocky song (praise the Lord I think it’s called)

Boooo.

Greg can't be happy about that, Chris Smith is one of his best friends, and has contributed a lot to the show over the years...I would say that the best bits of the podcast/show are when they're messing about (e.g. Tiny Terry and Tiny Ken, CERN receptionists, Butter Monster, Tea 20 commentary, and What's My Age Again to a degree).

It seemed such an obvious decision to make as well, can't understand the reasoning for not letting him....I hope they're not trying to put a square peg into a round hole with Greg and his breakfast show by making him do a show that's not him.

4 minutes ago, alrite_treacle said:

Boooo.

Greg can't be happy about that, Chris Smith is one of his best friends, and has contributed a lot to the show over the years...I would say that the best bits of the podcast/show are when they're messing about (e.g. Tiny Terry and Tiny Ken, CERN receptionists, Butter Monster, Tea 20 commentary, and What's My Age Again to a degree).

It seemed such an obvious decision to make as well, can't understand the reasoning for not letting him....I hope they're not trying to put a square peg into a round hole with Greg and his breakfast show by making him do a show that's not him.

You're so right. Greg's show is good with or without Chris Smith. But the best bits have always been with Chris for as long as they've done stuff together. I can't think of a single favourite bit of his show that hasn't involved him. Count the Cocks, the tiny celebrities, all the other random funny stuff they used to do. They BELONG on-air together. 

It's probably some age bullshit - I don't actually know how old Chris Smith is, but I'd imagine he's about ten years older than Greg considering he had a whole career with Christian O'Connell before Radio 1. So whoever-it-is doesn't want the new show sounding too old.

It could of course be the more mundane reason that Newsbeat is a part of BBC News and therefore Radio 1 holds no sway over them, but I can't see Newsbeat being so unaccommodating. After all, they used to let Chris Moyles pick his news and sport readers.  

Whatever it is, Greg alluded to things going on behind the scenes that he couldn't talk about and wasn't entirely happy with. 

I hope whoever is in charge reconsiders this huge mistake - it's nothing short of a tragedy. Just imagine they'd moved Chris Moyles to breakfast but not Comedy Dave. There would've been an outcry. 

I'm sure nothing we do could change it, but is there anything we could do to to at least register our anger? 

As much as I agree that Greg and Chris belong together as they always create great radio, I think its definitely an age thing why theyre being ‘broke up’.

It might just be me, but I think a lot of the features and radio that involves both Greg and Chris together seems to cater more to an older audience. Things such as the Mayor of Where, as crazy as it may seem, most teenagers probably dont even understand what a mayor is! 

They seem to have that ‘witty’ humour what would appeal to an older listener compared to when Greg is with other presenters or guests (although I’m firmly in their target audience and think greg and chris work great together, but then I am a radio geek), so maybe its just another case of Radio 1 breaking it up so that Greg can appeal more to the TA, although I do agree its a shame considering what Chris has brought to the show in the past and their friendship! Greg must not be happy about this.