Unofficial Mills

Greg is the new Breakfast Show host as Nick Grimshaw quits

Jordan12

4 minutes ago, spotty said:

I wonder if grimmy chose to leave or was told to leave. I'm sad Scott didn't get it but I do love Greg's podcast, I just hope grace and Chris move with him.

I think Grimmy finally had enough with constant press negativity and decided to call it quits. Each time the RAJAR's were released, he had the backing of Ben Cooper, so I don't think he was forced out in the way Chris Moyles was.

As for Greg's podcast, he has confirmed that is transferring across to breakfast with him which I am relieved about!

34 minutes ago, spotty said:

I wonder if grimmy chose to leave or was told to leave. 

I reckon he was probably told to leave - back when he was haemorrhaging listeners but the average age was falling, Ben Cooper could probably justify keeping him but not when listenership is falling whilst the average age has creeped up. 

Radio 1 seems to have had a reallignment in recent months anyway, with the shift in music policy towards more Greatest Hits. So I guess Ben Cooper is going for popular again, given that he's failed to get youth.

Besides, now Radiocentre is on the verge of achieving the deregulation it's been having wet dreams about for decades, I guess the BBC is feeling emboldened to compete with commercial radio head on, because it won't have a monopoly over national FM coverage for much longer.

43 minutes ago, OohErr said:

I reckon he was probably told to leave 

I don't think anybody chooses to leave The X Factor & The Radio 1 Breakfast Show, but the way it's been played out has made it seem like these are Nick's choices - something I doubt. 

19 hours ago, bensteele said:

I don't think anybody chooses to leave The X Factor & The Radio 1 Breakfast Show, but the way it's been played out has made it seem like these are Nick's choices - something I doubt. 

I'm not sure - I think I'd tire of starting work at 6:30am every day too. Especially the likes of Grimmy who seems to enjoy a bit of a party lifestyle.

Put it this way - Moyles absolutely smashed it for eight and a half-years, but Ben Cooper still got rid of him - and at the time it was spun as Chris's decision and I totally bought it. In fact, I don't even think there were any rumours at the time that suggested it was anything other than Chris's decision. It only came out that Ben Cooper pulled the plug because Chris himself revealed it in an interview with the Sun (ew). 

So if even Chris Moyles got moved on but was allowed to spin it as his own decision, the same has definitely occurred for Grimmy.

I've been wondering about some more specific aspects of the show - I'm sure we won't know any of these things until basically launch, but I wonder:

1) What will it be called? Probably just "The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Greg James", but maybe they'll go for something different that puts Greg a bit more front and centre. I don't think it'll be "The Greg James Show" because I remember him saying how much he hates it when people name shows that way. But maybe they'll go for "The Greg James Breakfast Show". Who knows. 

2) We all want to know whether it'll be Chris Smith on news (dozens of people have tweeted him about it but he hasn't replied to any so either he doesn't know or can't say yet), but I also wonder whether they'll bring back a separate sports presenter? Probably not, because that would cost money but maybe if they want an extra voice on air they'd have a sports person as well. Plus, Greg's a lot more interested in sport than Grimmy so a separate sports reader might fit the show more. 

SO excited to hear it. I reckon they'll go for all new features as well. Perhaps with the exception of the Ten Minute Takeover, but even that's been a permanent fixture since 2009 so maybe they'll take this opportunity to call it a day. They play more Greatest Hits anyway so a request feature for older songs isn't as necessary.

11 hours ago, OohErr said:

I've been wondering about some more specific aspects of the show - I'm sure we won't know any of these things until basically launch, but I wonder:

1) What will it be called? Probably just "The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Greg James", but maybe they'll go for something different that puts Greg a bit more front and centre. I don't think it'll be "The Greg James Show" because I remember him saying how much he hates it when people name shows that way. But maybe they'll go for "The Greg James Breakfast Show". Who knows. 

2) We all want to know whether it'll be Chris Smith on news (dozens of people have tweeted him about it but he hasn't replied to any so either he doesn't know or can't say yet), but I also wonder whether they'll bring back a separate sports presenter? Probably not, because that would cost money but maybe if they want an extra voice on air they'd have a sports person as well. Plus, Greg's a lot more interested in sport than Grimmy so a separate sports reader might fit the show more. 

SO excited to hear it. I reckon they'll go for all new features as well. Perhaps with the exception of the Ten Minute Takeover, but even that's been a permanent fixture since 2009 so maybe they'll take this opportunity to call it a day. They play more Greatest Hits anyway so a request feature for older songs isn't as necessary.

i think a "Going To Work" song would be pretty funny start for the first few weeks. Then they can ditch it like "Going Home Song". But think that would really set up the kind of show it will be.

I think Ali Plumb currently appears on the breakfast show so no doubt that will continue. The only current feature I can potentially see staying is the Ten Minute Takeover.

29 minutes ago, Graeme said:

pun pong

mayor of where

star caller?

ask the nation?

nerd alerts?

Those haven't been on for a while, I can't see them coming back. I reckon he'll launch with a few brand new features. Or possibly use the last few months of drivetime to trial a few new ideas?

I hope North Star caller makes it in over the Christmas period, I don't really enjoy Star Caller that much when it's the Script/Olly Murs/the Vamps, etc to be honest, but there is something very heart warming about little children calling Father Christmas, and I think it would fit in the breakfast slot really well!

I do enjoy What's My Age again, just for the questions that they make each other laugh with, but I can't see many of his features coming over. I would say that Greg and the management would want to start fresh with the breakfast show with new features/new branding etc. It's not everyday you relaunch your flagship show!

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Anyone got a list of Greg’s current/recent features so we can see what we think will move with him?

rage

whats my age again

ally pumb?

10minute take over

pun pong

mayor of where

star caller?

ask the nation?

nerd alerts?

Wrong Uns and  Shouldn't be news as well! Oh and Rent a Greg, I reckon we'll see that again.

I can imagine older features making come back or current any features wanting to be carried over, been rested over summer so it doesn’t feel like a straight copy and paste show from drive to breakfast

therell be fresh ideas too no doubt but I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose Greg for a couple of weeks at least  ‘holiday’  , before the breakfast show launches to give them prep time 

2 hours ago, bensteele said:

I wondered the same, but I doubt they'd let that happen - it would be too inconsistent & backwards now. I reckon the audio imaging will be pretty similar to current. 

Agreed, I'd love it. But even at the time Moyles's jingles were totally out of whack with the rest of the station - you had his classical Morning Movie stuff alongside the Pure Tonic RA-DI-OH-ONE stuff and it sounded very disjointed. Now Radio 1 sounds slicker than ever, I can't see them returning to cheesy jingles.

Maybe - if they can find a way to do it that doesn't sound naff and dated - they might bring back sung jingles. But I wouldn't hold my breath, like Ben, I reckon it'll basically be new versions in the same style as now. 

Remember when it was actual news that they were getting rid of sung jingles? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19255742

Unfortunately (this applies to jingles and everything else too) R1 is falling victim to radio becoming increasingly formulaic & attention grabbing without offering anything genuinely entertaining or distinctive. 

Rather than complementing Spotify playlists, it needs to continually actively oppose them. I really think Greg's breakfast show is going to pull that off in a way we haven't seen yet. 

Wow, swapping Greg and Grimmy was on the top of my "Would be cool but unlikely to happen" list since 2014, and now they're actually doing it. I'm so excited for both new shows!

In case they're still reading my mind: Annie Mac should co-host with Grimmy again, wink-wink.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:48 PM, OohErr said:

The fingers crossed emoji looks promising I guess.

Yeah it does but what about Tina ? she's been part of the breakfast show for years - will she move with Grimmy or just leave with him? I suppose Smith wants to move but it probably depends on what is happening with Tina 

If Chris Smith moves to breakfast someone else will have to do the afternoons

2 hours ago, Lee E said:

Yeah it does but what about Tina ? she's been part of the breakfast show for years - will she move with Grimmy or just leave with him? I suppose Smith wants to move but it probably depends on what is happening with Tina 

If Chris Smith moves to breakfast someone else will have to do the afternoons

Tina's had one foot out the door for a while now - I'd imagine she'll time her departure to coincide with Grimmy's, now she's moving on to bigger and better things. Alternatively, they might just swap her with Chris Smith so he does 06:30 - 12:45 and she does 14:30-17:45. That way she'd be free to do things on the telly in the morning and still read the news and be a part of Grimmy's show in the afternoon. She might be on a bit more often as well if that happens. 

I presume Chris will be offered the chance to move to breakfast and it will be up to him if he wants to do mornings. The new breakfast show wouldn't be the same if Chris Smith wasn't part of it. Tina has half-left Newsbeat anyway, she's hardy ever there. She has so much going on besides Newsbeat that she could afford to leave completely. And if not, it would make more sense to have a consistent newsreader on breakfast (Chris) and then have a number of people who rotate in the afternoon - Tina when she's there and Steffan Powell/ Steve Holden/ Bela Shah/ Ben Mundy or Roisin Hastie when she's not.