Unofficial Mills

Grimmy is nearly second longest

Lee E

Just thought i'd start a new thread 

Just 84 days (29th May) and Grimmy will have broken Tony Blackburns record and be the second longest to Moyles on breakfast 

Does this mean something will happen this year? can't see it personally as he seems settled and no sign of changes 

Yes Aled is making changes to weekends and pairing people up to make space for the newer ones to come in but can't see Grimmy going anywhere 

Just a question - does the info on WIKI mean the amount of days in post or shows? 

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, Lee E said:

Just a question - does the info on WIKI mean the amount of days in post or shows? 

I'm not 100% sure but I *think* it's the amount of days since the start. 

This saddens me slightly - it just doesn't deserve to have been on air for so long, it's not a good show. But well done to him I guess. I've been calling time on this incarnation of the breakfast show every year since about 2015, so god knows when it's gonna end. 

On 09/03/2018 at 2:47 PM, OohErr said:

This saddens me slightly - it just doesn't deserve to have been on air for so long, it's not a good show. But well done to him I guess. I've been calling time on this incarnation of the breakfast show every year since about 2015, so god knows when it's gonna end. 

This saddens me also. He clearly has a passion for radio, but that is not reflected in the show. Two, sometimes  three installments of the Entertainment News, no real features except for a cheap version of Scott and Chris' 'Bangers' and something involving a heart monitor. Then you have Throwback Thursday/Nixtape which extends onto everyday during the summer/Christmas/January when you get the feeling the team can't be arsed.

Guests seem to be the same guests rotated and the interviews are barely 10 minutes long, padded out over 20 minutes with the inclusion of a few tracks in the middle.

One wonders whether his passion for radio has gone or his hands are being tied as to what he can do.

Don't forget though, that whilst the best radio presenters always have a passion for radio, those with a passion for radio aren't automatically good radio presenters. It could be that Grimmy loves the medium (he's not the worst communicator either, his stories are quite funny) but on the creative side the ideas just aren't there.

I actually thought the first version of Grimmy's breakfast show wasn't too bad - a zoo format with Grimmy, Matt Fincham, Fiona and Ian, some decent features in the form of the Waking Up Song, Showquizness, Wheel of Four Tunes and Call or Delete, more music than Moyles but not *too* much. What the breakfast show looks like now is much closer to Ben Cooper's initial vision of it - a solo presenter and lots of music. It just took a few years to get there.

And maybe that approach has been vindicated - the RAJARs are up this quarter, although they bounce around like nobody's business and there's no clear trend to be seen. And at the end of the day, they're still much lower than Moyles' worst and the average age has barely budged.

The bosses at Radio 1 seem to be becoming more open to the zoo format again, which could potentially bode well for the breakfast show going forward.

It was good hearing a recent trail featuring a chat between Grimmy and Fiona, normally it's celebrity guests.

Which makes me ask the question, of if its like this - i've noticed Greg, Grimmy and Scott all going more to a Zoo format recently and weekends are as well with Alice and Dev teaming up and Matt with a co-host then why did they get rid of Moyles in the first place 

I think Grimmy is kind of done, great yes he will now doubt beat Blackburns record, making him second longest to Moyles but surely he has to go now? 

On 2018. 03. 19. at 10:36 PM, OohErr said:

I've just had a thought, which will sound ridiculous, but it's so terrifying that Ben Cooper might just do it:

Charlie Sloth for breakfast. 

Hi! Long time lurker here.

I have to admit I actually like your idea, I have two (kinda selfish) reasons:

1. I don't really listen to breakfast shows in general, just don't like it as a genre so I'm always rooting for my favourite presenters not to get promoted there.
  2. We might get new nighttime shows in his current timeslot with potentially listenable music.

(I liked him on Real or No Real though...)

1 hour ago, vorti said:

Hi! Long time lurker here.

I have to admit I actually like your idea, I have two (kinda selfish) reasons:

1. I don't really listen to breakfast shows in general, just don't like it as a genre so I'm always rooting for my favourite presenters not to get promoted there.
  2. We might get new nighttime shows in his current timeslot with potentially listenable music.

(I liked him on Real or No Real though...)

Oh I see how it is, you're more than happy to make him our problem! 

I do miss a Fat Tuesday though. 

On 2018. 03. 27. at 12:37 AM, OohErr said:

Oh I see how it is, you're more than happy to make him our problem! 

I do miss a Fat Tuesday though. 

Yeah, that's the selfish part, but on second thought I'd still hear "Charlie Sloth Breakfast" trailers 24/7 and even the current Grimmy ones are annoying...

Jokes aside, I'm happy to see Grimmy's success, I was a fan of his nighttime show and I was hoping that some of the "vibe" would be carried on to breakfast, but sadly (and obviously) that didn't happen. I think he will stay on long enough just to beat Moyles' record, but will be replaced shortly after by either Greg or someone we barely know yet.

I was also looking forward to Charlie's new show, but it's a disappointment. It's not a Radio 1 show, it's a 1xtra show. If I wanted to listen to 1xtra, I'd listen to 1xtra. And what a surprise, his shows are on simulcast. And he's still on on Saturdays? What's the point? Phil Taggart would have been a better choice for weeknights, he did fine when he was on (Phil & Alice, WHOOOOOOOOOO). Apart from the 1xtra thing, Charlie is funny in smaller doses like Fat Tuesday, but a whole show of that is just too much.