Unofficial Mills

The Scott Mills Show Discussion Thread

OohErr

20 minutes ago, OohErr said:

Jordan, I think I'm in love with you. Or at least as in love as you can be with a (presumably male) stranger off a Scott Mills forum. 

I just heard their interruption on the podcast and came here to write basically everything you just wrote. Totally agree, especially the Dan and Phil comparison. Hit the nail on the head.

On another note, Scott just mentioned his "friend Robbie" who's married now... I reckon he was talking about Robbie Williams. They're on the record as being mates.

2018 Lisa & Steve (whoooooo!)? ;)

It could be Robbie Williams, but also could be anyone. Scott isn't as revealing about his celebrity friends unlike a certain Nicholas Grimshaw.

54 minutes ago, OohErr said:

I just heard their interruption on the podcast and came here to write basically everything you just wrote. Totally agree, especially the Dan and Phil comparison. Hit the nail on the head.

When will the station learn to stop using these youtubers: dan and phil, jack and dean and Niki and Sammy are all exactly the same, NOT FUNNY and not worthy of R1 Shows. They always give them new ideas eg video request show, click bait show, comedy podcast but really they are a waste of time and are over promoted by R1. There is a reason all of these shows have ground to a halt within weeks in the past because no-one cares about z-list youtubers.

Totally agree on the podcast front. I like Lauren and Ed because they're genuinely funny comedians.

I'd love to see more people from student radio or the podcast world get a shot! It's a bit ridiculous how Greg James is pretty much the only presenter they've ever plucked from student radio. 

I'm looking forward to hearing Ben Partridge's show particular as he's from the podcast world!

hello

1 hour ago, gregjames94 said:

I'd love to see more people from student radio or the podcast world get a shot! It's a bit ridiculous how Greg James is pretty much the only presenter they've ever plucked from student radio. 

Totally agree here, same for commercial radio, especially seeing as there's gonna be another round of decimation for ILRs in the next year or two with more deregulation. Gonna be a lot of unemployed former local jocks knocking about, which will be a tragedy.

Also, I thought I hadn't seen your name round here for a while gregjames94, and sure enough, your first post since 2015! Welcome back, do stop by more often. I always wonder what becomes of all the old forum regulars and where they go. 

haha yeah, I didn't have anything that big to say till the latest schedule changes so thought I'd get involved again!

Yeah I think Jordan has being doing a great job and obviously Scott, Chris Moyles, Adele Roberts and lots more have all come from commercial so definitely more ground. Although I never listen to commercial so I'd have no idea of who is good (I just know Roman Kemp is terrible). 

hello

There's a lot of discussion on here about the length of the Scott Mills Daily podcasts, but there's one aspect I certainly wish they'd cut. It annoys me when Scott trails ahead to something that is literally the other side of a jingle. Fine on the radio, of course, but if I'm listening to the podcast I'm almost certainly going to hear the whole thing – no need to keep me listening. So please, don't leave in a link that says 'bangers coming up at 2.40', followed by a jingle, followed by bangers. Literally. No. Point. By all means leave the link in if something interesting happens, but the podcast audience is slightly different.

11 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

Reason #375 

If they have put this in because they need to play more songs, then it’s a bit rubbish as they used to play 5 or 6 songs on RONR anyway so they’re only really increasing the songs by 1 or 2 every day. 

I am convinced that they cut songs short to squeeze more in (it happened with The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar so they could fit in Julia Michaels in before the 1530 news) due to one of two reasons:

A - They have been playing too many songs and overestimated the time needed.

B - They over-ran on the call with the listener around 1515 which wasn't really that long anyway because they interrupted it with a track, and needed to desperately squeeze in Julia Michaels.

It's more likely B, but wouldn't be surprised if it was A too.

Scott's show is sounding the best it's been in AGES. Maya Jama has added so much to it and the features are getting better. Do miss Innuendo Bingo a bit but it was getting stale..

Edit: Also wish they had kept the dance mix on Fridays. It was a lot better and they actually played more forgotten classics.

I'm still not sold on Maya. Her presence hasn't detracted from the show, as I feared it might - but nor does it add anything. Hey ho. Embarassing that she didn't even know Scott was on Strictly. And also it annoys me how she was on the honesty game with Grimmy the other day (I didn't listen, but Jordan played a clip) and she said the one Radio 1 show she turns off is Jordan North. Grrr.

Was nice to hear omething similar to Stupid Street back on the show on Friday, although it wasn't billed as such on-air. And I was pissing myself at the "you're a naughty tax avoider" stuff. 

15 hours ago, OohErr said:

Embarassing that she didn't even know Scott was on Strictly. And also it annoys me how she was on the honesty game with Grimmy the other day (I didn't listen, but Jordan played a clip)

I think Maya might be the Radio 1 2018 equivalent of Fearne Cotton or Gemma Cairney, whereby she isn't in the loop with what her colleagues do outside of work. Remember that time Fearne came back from maternity leave and had no knowledge of Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky'? Gemma was the same, I think.

Also, appearing on different shows might be promotion for her Saturday show. She was also on Charlie Sloth's show one night last week.

2 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

Also, appearing on different shows might be promotion for her Saturday show. She was also on Charlie Sloth's show one night last week.

And then Jordan was on Greg’s show last week as well so I’d imagine they are just trying to promote both shows.!

19 minutes ago, josie88 said:

Spotted this in the schedule: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09xjy9s

Have they recorded a separate podcast or is this just a "best of" of the normal podcast?

I'm not sure, but I hope it's 'late night' Scott & Chris. Similar to what we saw during the Lolathon last year. That was radio gold!

Loving Sophie's recent appearances. The overeating thing was very funny. She reminds me of Beccy. They should get her on more. Weird that Scott seems to make his APs sit outside the studio now, unless it was just for effect on the radio. Otherwise I don't see why they'd do the whole thing through talkback instead of getting her on a mic.

Did anyone else hear yesterday's podcast when a guy called Lewis called up? (he was amazing, by the way!). He was on providing feedback on the show and suggested that Real or No Real should be brought back. It did sound like Scott and Chris weren't as keen which is a shame.

According to Scott's Instagram story, Sophie from the show is Sophie Ellis, who according to her Twitter bio works on Annie Mac and Greg's shows as well. So I guess the isn't the AP, she's some others kind of assistant (unit assistant - is that a thing?). 

Who is the AP of Scott's show these days?

17 hours ago, OohErr said:

According to Scott's Instagram story, Sophie from the show is Sophie Ellis, who according to her Twitter bio works on Annie Mac and Greg's shows as well. So I guess the isn't the AP, she's some others kind of assistant (unit assistant - is that a thing?). 

Who is the AP of Scott's show these days?

I think it's Nichola Ntim, @nicholantim on the socials.