Gregathlon 2018: Pedal to the Peaks Challenge
0

26 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Running (cycling? climbing?) from the 26th February to the 2nd March. Greg will do the show every day with Adele Roberts co-hosting. (Alice Levine did it last year - is she out of favour or just unavailable?)

The guy's a machine, credit to him. I can barely even cycle to the shops without getting tired. Absolutely incredible, best of luck to him. Should make for some good radio moments as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OohErr said:

Running (cycling? climbing?) from the 26th February to the 2nd March. Greg will do the show every day with Adele Roberts co-hosting. (Alice Levine did it last year - is she out of favour or just unavailable?)

The guy's a machine, credit to him. I can barely even cycle to the shops without getting tired. Absolutely incredible, best of luck to him. Should make for some good radio moments as well.

 

Fairly sure Alice is in the US on her 'My Dad Wrote a Porno' tour and then comes back in time to start weekend breakfast with Dev on 17th March.

I would imagine Jordan would cover Adele's show that week if she's going to be on the road with Greg. The fact he'll be wearing a microphone and the DJ's can just fade him up at any moment is a great idea! Kudos to him, because like yourself, I wouldn't be able to do such a thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

I would imagine Jordan would cover Adele's show that week

He is :) excited to hear how this plays out on air with the whole mic thing, good luck Greg!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really looking forward to this and I also think the mic thing is a very clever idea. 

I wonder how the chart will work on that Friday? Last time they did it on Scotts show but it’s supposed to be Scotts first show with Maya Jama so I’m not sure how that will work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Really looking forward to this and I also think the mic thing is a very clever idea. 

I wonder how the chart will work on that Friday? Last time they did it on Scotts show but it’s supposed to be Scotts first show with Maya Jama so I’m not sure how that will work? 

Scott's doing the chart from 3-4! Did think the same thing at Maya Jama, doubt it'll be a joint co-host for the chart though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LSR1 said:

Scott's doing the chart from 3-4! Did think the same thing at Maya Jama, doubt it'll be a joint co-host for the chart though.

Thanks very much. Just a quick question, how do you get this scheduling information so early before it’s on? I use the radio times website and uk TV guide but they only go 2 weeks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Thanks very much. Just a quick question, how do you get this scheduling information so early before it’s on? I use the radio times website and uk TV guide but they only go 2 weeks in advance 

No problem - its on a site called digiguide, had it for a while now, goes up to around 21 days I think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And so the challenge has begun...

Snowdon ✅

Now he's on his bike to do the show with Adele from Denbigh, North Wales. (in a BBC truck in Myddleton College (?) car park, photos on Adele's instagram story).

Unrelated but Adele's using a variation of that bed that Matt used for all nearly all his links at the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Greg still isn’t there, an hour late. 

They also seem to be having quite a few technical issues with how cold it is. 

Adele has also said that today is his shortest cycle and is also meant to be the warmest day this week so I’m a bit worried for him for the rest of the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering whether this is a challenge too many as well - hopefully he'll be able to do it and won't be screwed by the weather. 

1 hour ago, Dan18F1 said:

Only £19,000 raised so far. I thought it would be quite a bit higher than that and I think Greg sounded a bit disappointed in that as well. 

Can anyone remember how much they'd raised at this point at the last Gregathlon? I agree, it doesn't sound like much. The LOLathon was rather disappointing if I remember as well, maybe Radio 1 has bled its listeners dry over the last few years. The Moyles longest show got £2.8m in 2 1/2 days, whilst last Gregathlon only broke £1m in a week (plus one day of heavy pushing) and the LOLathon managed £275k - basically a tenth of the Longest Show every in just under half the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Only £19,000 raised so far. I thought it would be quite a bit higher than that and I think Greg sounded a bit disappointed in that as well. 

I think the total will rise a lot, certainly today and tomorrow. Adele has posted a picture on Twitter of snow in wherever they spent the night last night. I can also confirm that there is a similar amount of snow on the ground where I am in Scotland, and it'll be worse inland where Ben Nevis is!

Edited by Jordan12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're pushing it in almost every link today - I don't know whether they were planning to anyway, or if it's to try and get the total up a bit more.

Each text is worth £5, which might also be a factor - I'm sure it used to be less, £2, £3 maybe? So maybe the revenue gained from making it £5 is less than the revenue lost from fewer people texting.

Edited by OohErr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this on the Gregathlon 2016 website. 

Quote

10. If you enter the keyword incorrectly, but your text message is sent to 70011/70703/70005/70010/70510, you may still be charged £1/£3/£5/£10 via a confirmation text message, in which case your donation will still be made to Sport Relief.

Different text numbers donate different amounts - they used to use 70011 as the main number to donate £1, then they changed to 70703 for £3 and now they're giving out a number that donates £5 (70205)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adele's doing a terrific job this week - especially seeing as there's not all that much happening a lot of the time! 

"Still waiting for Greg... He's not here yet... He'll be here soon... Nearly here... Any minute now... Ah Greg's arrived! Anyway, it's time for Annie Mac, we'll do it all again tomorrow". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The total is now £311,973 as at 0710 this morning, up £34,817 since 1930 last night. Greg and the team are grounded at the moment though, due to the Red weather warning in much of central Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just announced on air that the challenge is over. Greg and Adele sounded really emotional, although he seemed to be trying to see the positives and having a laugh about it. Absolutely gutted for Greg. But what a hero. An absolutely incredible week of radio, and an absolutely incredible three days of challenge even though he couldn't finish. I have no doubt that if it wasn't for the weather forcing health and safety to call it off, he would've been able to do it. I can't imagine how he must be feeling right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OohErr said:

Just announced on air that the challenge is over. Greg and Adele sounded really emotional, although he seemed to be trying to see the positives and having a laugh about it. Absolutely gutted for Greg. But what a hero. An absolutely incredible week of radio, and an absolutely incredible three days of challenge even though he couldn't finish. I have no doubt that if it wasn't for the weather forcing health and safety to call it off, he would've been able to do it. I can't imagine how he must be feeling right now. 

I agree. He definitely would have completed it, and he sounds devastated at having to admit defeat. I have every respect for him and all his team that have done this with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One really moving quote from Greg yesterday, I'm not sure what radio if any you all do outside of these forums, but it really resonated with me so I thought it was worth drawing attention to

Quote

"I'm at my happiest when I'm on the radio." - Greg James, 1st March 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a special podcast created, telling the story of the Gregathlon last week. It's available via Greg's pages on the website where you would download his podcast 'That's What He Said'. It's nearly an hour long, so should be a good listen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gregathlon resumes TODAY! Last night after his radio show, Greg and his team made their way up to Moffat in Dumfries & Galloway where they were stranded last time and had to abandon the mission.

From today, he'll cycle from Moffat to Fort William and then climb Ben Nevis on Friday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0