Biggest Weekend 2018

15 posts in this topic

Big Weekend this year has been turned into Biggest Weekend with the the three other BBC music stations and in conjunction with BBC music to replace Glastonbury this year. 

This means that there is going to be a stage in all 4 nations of the UK and Radio 1 is in Wales in SWANSEA! 

All 4 events will happen on the weekend of the 26th, 27th and 28th of May. 

Officially confirmed artists are Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran at the moment. 

Edited by Dan18F1
Artists were announced after I posted

I was wondering how this would work - basically it's just a Radio 1 Big Weekend in Swansea, with all the other locations being left to the other stations. That's a very decent pair of headliners.

Wonder how long the J Hus set will be though...

Scott keeps referring to it as Big Weekend instead of Biggest - probably by accident but maybe the R1 lot aren't that fussed about the rest of the Biggest Weekend stuff across the rest of the country.

Edited by OohErr

Rita Ora, Camila Cabello, Stefflon Don, Mabel, Liam Payne, Sigrid, 30 Seconds To Mars, George Ezra and Sam Smith have been announced this morning as acts who are playing the Biggest Weekend.

No real surprise that Rita is performing again this year. She has been at every Big Weekend since 2012, with the exception of 2016.

6 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

No real surprise that Rita is performing again this year. She has been at every Big Weekend since 2012, with the exception of 2016.

I hope there's a co-host with her some time before then. 

26 minutes ago, OohErr said:

I hope there's a co-host with her some time before then. 

Don't say that! There probably will be, and I for one will not be listening!

On 3/9/2018 at 8:05 AM, Jordan12 said:

To be fair she has actually released a lot of new music this year so it should be better than previous appearances which have all been almost identical.

The Radio 1 Academy returns this year, ahead of the Biggest Weekend with workshops, live music and industry insight among the events taking place. Matt and Nick will be hosting free sessions to inspire young people into creative careers. A 'School's Tour' is included too - offering every senior pupil in Swansea the chance to get involved. I imagine the DJs will take it in turns to present their shows from Swansea, as they have in previous years. There will also be collaborations with BBC Radio Cymru nearer to the Big Weekend which Huw will host.

It all kicks off on Tuesday 20th March.

Demi Lovato, Shawn Mendes, Anne-Marie, Hailee Steinfeld, Bastille, Clean Bandit, Jason Derulo and Florence and the Machine have all been added to the Biggest Weekend Line up!

Edited by Dan18F1

Have to say, I'm a bit jealous watching all the Instagram stories of the Radio 1 DJs right now. They're all out in Swansea and it looks like they're having such a laugh, is it weird that I'd love to be mates with them.

Chris Stark and Jordan's are particularly good, they've filmed Matt Edmondson and Molly King riding off on scooters ditching them. It's very funny.

Finding it slightly annoying that the live stream is only showing the performances and not the presenters like it did before. I miss seeing the presenters live as well. 

15 hours ago, OohErr said:

Have to say, I'm a bit jealous watching all the Instagram stories of the Radio 1 DJs right now. They're all out in Swansea and it looks like they're having such a laugh, is it weird that I'd love to be mates with them.

I don't think it's at all weird. I think it's quite natural - especially if you listen to them every day and have done so for years. They share so much of their lives and you become invested; look at when Chris Stark announced he was getting married. That was a huge moment for me as a listener as I have listened to Scott and Chris for years - from the Tap End days and the stag dos/holidays in Kavos to this big thing.

4 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

I don't think it's at all weird. I think it's quite natural - especially if you listen to them every day and have done so for years. They share so much of their lives and you become invested; look at when Chris Stark announced he was getting married. That was a huge moment for me as a listener as I have listened to Scott and Chris for years - from the Tap End days and the stag dos/holidays in Kavos to this big thing.

You're so right.  Just look at the reaction when Chris Moyles left R1, or Christian O'Connell left Absolute the other week - people really cared. Listeners get really invested in shows and the people on those shows. It's what makes radio so special, it's a very personal medium and you feel like you know the people involved so only natural to feel like it extends beyond a three hour radio show.