New Weekend Schedule February 2018
1 1

79 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, WELOVEMOYLESPART2 said:

Mollie and Matt have smashed it together. The chemistry has been perfect. Well done to Mollie.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app
 

I have to say I agree. I think Mollie's naturally funny and the show works well. She also hits the vocal on the news intro better than Matt - we all love a bit of slickness on here.

Maybe they could just keep her...

Edited by Ant L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I am loving the handover between Matt and Mollie and Mistajam on a Saturday, doesnt sound forced and actually makes me chuckle

Sent from my [device_name] using http://the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OohErr said:

Second (or third? Fourth) the feedback on Mollie King. A pleasant surprise. 

On another note. Oooof. Jordan sounds rough today.

Jordan has said he had a sore throat/cold and was not self inflicted.

Disclaimer: I am not Jordan North. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

Jordan has said he had a sore throat/cold and was not self inflicted.

Disclaimer: I am not Jordan North. :rolleyes:

That's exactly the sort of thing Jordan North would say! 

Besides, he might say it was a cold but his Instagram story says different...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everything that’s been said the last couple of days. Mollie has been sounding great with Matt and it’s a shame that she’s going to go and be replaced by Scarlett Moffatt, who’s just irritating. Matts solo show has also been sounding very slick. 

I’m enjoying the Greatest Hits show, more with Jordan but Maya isn’t as bad as I was expecting her to be. 

I do wonder a couple of things though - what will happen when Matts on holiday or something? Will his cohost present on their own or will someone else present with them? Also, when Scott and Chris are on breakfast, I wonder if Maya will join them on Fridays or if she will stay with the cover presenter? 

Finally, I think the producers of the weekend shows have moved around as well - Matts moved with him onto the new show, Dev’s old one has moved onto the Greatest Hits so I presume Alice’s producer will be producing her and Dev. 

Overall, I feel like Radio 1 is in a great shape right now and probably the best for quitea few years! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, OohErr said:

 

That's exactly the sort of thing Jordan North would say! 

Besides, he might say it was a cold but his Instagram story says different...

Promise I'm not though! ;)

He did allude to the fact that Burnley won at the football yesterday, and that may have played a small part on how he was feeling today, but it was mainly the cold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan18F1 said:

Overall, I feel like Radio 1 is in a great shape right now and probably the best for quite a few years! 

Totally Agree! These new show are actually sounding much better than expected, Maya has freshened things up on Fridays with Scott, Matt has got a show which actually suits him and Jordan has finally got his well deserved show. I'm sure Dev and Alice will also work well together as they have in the past. They definitely are trying to do more co-hosts and I wouldn't be suprised if the breakfast show is co-hosted once grimmy leaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After saying on The One Show the other week that he's not a great teamplayer, Dev said on air just now he's scared Alice will move in like a girlfriend and start "moving things around" - i.e. change the show and the way he likes doing things. I have the same concern actually, I really like Dev's weekend breakfast show and all his ropey but funny features. Would be a shame if Alice "professionalises" the whole thing. He (understandably) doesn't sound too happy about the whole thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my mind why did Dev ever swap back to weekend breakfast from early breakfast in 2013 with Gemma 

I mean he had a 5 day a week slot, and could have gone easily to a daytime slot had one became available so why take a step back to weekends in the first place 

Saying that it has given him opportunity to do lots of weekday cover and even had a go at the main breakfast show a couple of times 

I think he deserves drive if there is a shuffle about, i.e. Grimmy leaves or goes to afternoons if Scott went to R2 and Greg takes breakfast and Dev gets drive leaving Alice on weekend breakfast, or give Alice the live lounge show and give Maya weekend breakfast with Jordan doing both weekend days 

 

Another one who deserves a daytime slot is Adele shes really good at the moment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing it’s Dev and Alice they are billing it as... all the cohosts are still Male then Female in order

Matt and Mollie - it’s matts show and alphabetical - cool

Cel and Katie - alphabetical - cool

Scott, Chris and Maya - it’s Scott’s Show - then alphabetical - cool

Dev and Alice ......... eh... no reason?


Sent from my iPhone using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Dev and Alice ......... eh... no reason?

I get what you're saying, and I too share your annoyance at women always being billed second on double act shows (or not at all on some commercial radio shows), but it is kinda Dev's show seeing as he's been doing it for almost four years by himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think R1 would try to introduce more solely female shows as now all the weekend shows bar Maya are presented by males and 75% weekdays daytime are male.

Saying that it's not as bad as the time the lineup was:

Dev

Grimmy

Fearne

Scott

Greg

Zane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this so I'll leave it here: turns out the reason Chris Smith doesn't read the news on Fridays is because he steps up to editor instead. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OohErr said:

I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this so I'll leave it here: turns out the reason Chris Smith doesn't read the news on Fridays is because he steps up to editor instead. 

 

A well deserved promotion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard about half an hour of the new weekend breakfast so far - unsurprisingly A LOT of music, haven't heard a link longer than about a minute since I tuned in.

I've listened back on the iPlayer, I'm not sure whether they were having technical problems or whether this is the way things are now, but there were practically SEVEN in a row at the start of the show - they started with a short link over a ramp (instead of a jingle - weird, probably a mistake), then two songs, another ramp, another song, a trail, a song, another song, THEN the first proper link. Which was about two minutes long and was followed by three in a row. That's ridiculous. Why put two people on that show but give them less time to speak?

Also something potentially of interest, the producers have all shuffled - Matt's producer Will Wilkin has moved with him to 1-4, Luciano (former producer of Dev and Hirsty's Daily Dose on Capital Yorkshire) now produces Greatest Hits and Jenny Keo (former producer of Greg James and possibly Alice Levine) now produces weekend breakfast.

And a fun fact for you as well: this is both of their second radio marriages: Alice obvs started with Phil Taggart, and Dev started on 1Xtra with Reggie Yates (BEFORE Fearne and Reggie was a thing).

Edited by OohErr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OohErr said:

Heard about half an hour of the new weekend breakfast so far - unsurprisingly A LOT of music, haven't heard a link longer than about a minute since I tuned in.

I've listened back on the iPlayer, I'm not sure whether they were having technical problems or whether this is the way things are now, but there were practically SEVEN in a row at the start of the show - they started with a short link over a ramp (instead of a jingle - weird, probably a mistake), then two songs, another ramp, another song, a trail, a song, another song, THEN the first proper link. Which was about two minutes long and was followed by three in a row. That's ridiculous. Why put two people on that show but give them less time to speak?

Also something potentially of interest, the producers have all shuffled - Matt's producer Will Wilkin has moved with him to 1-4, Luciano (former producer of Dev and Hirsty's Daily Dose on Capital Yorkshire) now produces Greatest Hits and Jenny Keo (former producer of Greg James and possibly Alice Levine) now produces weekend breakfast.

And a fun fact for you as well: this is both of their second radio marriages: Alice obvs started with Phil Taggart, and Dev started on 1Xtra with Reggie Yates (BEFORE Fearne and Reggie was a thing).

Jenny was Alice's producer before and also produced Greg's show post-Pippa and Travis and pre Grace and Chris Sawyer. I presume Roushan is still with Cel and Katie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jordan12 said:

Jenny was Alice's producer before and also produced Greg's show post-Pippa and Travis and pre Grace and Chris Sawyer. I presume Roushan is still with Cel and Katie?

Roushan helps produce all of the weekend shows I think. Matts producer is good but not in the same league as Chris was unfortunately. 

I listened to some of the show this morning and I don’t think they really played more tracks than normal, I think it was just more at the start of the show and less in the middle which probably makes sense with the small audience at that time in the morning. 

Also I know this isn’t strictly this topic, but I feel like Cels time at Radio 1 might br coming to an end - He never seems to be on anyone else’s show, never seems to cover for anyone and isn’t in the new life hacks podcast which is just Katie and Dr Radha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there are a lot of Dev fans here but reality is he's never going to get a daytime show (apart from early breakfast obviously, which he's done). A very solid weekend presenter - yes. But not entertaining enough with that Scott Mills or Greg James-like star quality. He's had a brilliant run at R1 but there are people such as Alice and Jordan ahead of him in the queue for a daytime show IMO.

Cel Spellman doesn't seem to have made much from his time at R1. After him and Katie did some cover for Scott and Chris before Christmas, I thought things might progress but no. Katie outshines him in my opinion and is clearly the better presenter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Roushan helps produce all of the weekend shows I think. Matts producer is good but not in the same league as Chris was unfortunately. 

Chris is an excellent producer and I think he works really well with Greg. Saying that, I think he'd work well with anyone and really bring out the best in presenters (look at what he did with Scott and Matt).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2018 at 1:39 PM, Jordan12 said:

Chris is an excellent producer and I think he works really well with Greg. Saying that, I think he'd work well with anyone and really bring out the best in presenters (look at what he did with Scott and Matt).

I second the praise of Chris Sawyer - he is fantastic, possibly the best producer they've got.

On another note, I'm gonna point out something that will annoy you all and you'll never be able to un-notice it. Maya Jama has delusions that she can sing, and she seems to do it in every single link. She seems to think that in the absence of any real wit, singing is a way of being funny. It isn't. It's annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1