New Weekend Schedule February 2018
1 1

79 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, WELOVEMOYLESPART2 said:

When do the changes come into effect?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app
 

Saturday 24th February. Except Alice and Dev's show which starts on Saturday 17th March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2018 at 11:20 PM, Acelink said:

 

anyone know what happened to the original content podcasts we were meant to be getting when we got the last schedule change? Seems we just have artist takeover 3-4am did they get scrapped or never happen

Seems the answer to my earlier question has now been answered. New comedy podcasts drop 5th Feb and include some content In Future from Matt Edmondson . More podcasts to enjoy quiet excited for this!

Radio 1 brings back comedy press office announcement

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is quite a bizarre schedule change really, adding so much but without losing anyone. It is strange to have a co-host on nearly every show. There are 9 presenters on at the weekend now (10 if you count Dr Rhada) as opposed to a core of 4 required, which seems very over crowded. 

In the press release they are really pushing Maya Jama as the big winner here, with making her the press photo, and giving her a co-host with Scott for 1 midweek day (...how very random!), which is again another surprise for Jordan to be slightly sidelined after being used so frequently by Radio 1.

We shall wait and see. Its almost like they want to make big changes but don't have the guts to fire anyone! I'm disappointed that Alice is getting a worse show, and having to co-host, as she is such a genuinely funny presenter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alice doesn't sound best pleased in the handover with Matt right now... (then again, would you if you'd been moved from 1pm to 6am?)

Given the schedule changes formally kick in from next Saturday but Alice doesn't start with Dev until a few weeks later, I wonder whether he'll continue with his current show and features and jingles and the like until then or start the new show with new features without Alice actually being there. Or maybe he'll just continue with his current features with Alice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This new weekend breakfast show is clearly an attempt to keep Alice on Radio 1 whilst avoiding having cover presenters every other week. She's so often away working on other projects that this will avoid the need to have people filling in for her. It reminds me of the dying days of Colin and/or Edith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Joe said:

This new weekend breakfast show is clearly an attempt to keep Alice on Radio 1 whilst avoiding having cover presenters every other week. She's so often away working on other projects that this will avoid the need to have people filling in for her. It reminds me of the dying days of Colin and/or Edith.

Agreed. Either that, or this is a sign that Alice's days on Radio 1 are coming to an end and management have put her on a slot she won't be best pleased with.

A bit like Gemma Cairney in that she was shunted to 4am and then the further demoted to an hour long slot once a week. I believe she can now be heard doing relief work on 6Music. Although Alice is a much better broadcaster than GC is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

A bit like Gemma Cairney in that she was shunted to 4am and then the further demoted to an hour long slot once a week. I believe she can now be heard doing relief work on 6Music. Although Alice is a much better broadcaster than GC is.

That's interesting, I always saw her move from weekends to early breakfast as a promotion. Given Dev started on weekend breakfast and was then moved to early breakfast after a few months, to go in that direction looked like a promotion. Plus, when Gemma was moved Ben Cooper likened her to Chris Moyles in the press release as if he was building her up to be the next big thing. Ha! Never heard anything more ridiculous. I'm glad he realised his mistake after a year, on that one at least!

Quote

Ben Cooper, Controller BBC Radio 1, says: “Chris Moyles and Scott Mills both did early breakfast on Radio 1, using it to showcase their creativity. Now it’s Gemma’s turn."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r1-gemma-schedule.html

One of my favourite things about Gemma's sidelining was the way after it was announced she was coming off early breakfast she pretty much stopped showing up and Adele started weeks before she was formally due to!

EDIT: Just looked it up because I was interested to see if I remembered it right. It went like this. Gemma on w/b 13th April 2015. Announcement Wed 15th April. Gemma on w/b 20th April. Gemma off w/b 27th April and w/b 4th May (Adele sat in). Back w/b 11th May. Off w/b 18th May (Adele sat in). Back Mon 25th - Wed 27th May. Off 28th and 29th May (Yasser sat in). Adele started Monday 1st June. So in her last six weeks of early breakfast, she only actually did 2 1/2. 13/30 shows. Actual LOL.

Edited by OohErr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OohErr said:

One of my favourite things about Gemma's sidelining was the way after it was announced she was coming off early breakfast she pretty much stopped showing up and Adele started weeks before she was formally due to!

EDIT: Just looked it up because I was interested to see if I remembered it right. It went like this. Gemma on w/b 13th April 2015. Announcement Wed 15th April. Gemma on w/b 20th April. Gemma off w/b 27th April and w/b 4th May (Adele sat in). Back w/b 11th May. Off w/b 18th May (Adele sat in). Back Mon 25th - Wed 27th May. Off 28th and 29th May (Yasser sat in). Adele started Monday 1st June. So in her last six weeks of early breakfast, she only actually did 2 1/2. 13/30 shows. Actual LOL.

That's so embarrassing! Of course, we don't know the reasons for her only doing 13/30 shows in six weeks - there could have been a variety of reasons, but it certainly looks suspicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSR1 said:

A lot more songs too, Maya managed to play 51 (!) songs today, Matt usually played around 40. And the songs were a lot more 'new' aswell :cry:

Probably because Matt is playing a lot less songs than Alice used to, so it evens out throughout the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite enjoyed the bits of Matt and Molly's show I heard today - they get on well together, and Molly is quite funny. The bits where he got Molly to "play DJ" by back announcing and the like were a bit cringe but on the whole it was a good listen. It's fair to say Molly has more of a personality than Maya and takes herself a lot less seriously. There was also a rather good sounding custom bed they used for the opening link with a talk up ramp at the beginning, something I haven't heard for years. Any word on the podcast's return? 

Re Greatest Hits with Maya, again it wasn't AS awful as I was expecting. She was okay - not hilarious, not an appointment listen, but other than repeatedly leaving the news opener playing, she was actually quite slick. (Also, I know I'm supposed not to like her but she did the kind of news intros I like - she told the time AND called it "news" instead of "Newsbeat", and managed to hit the vocal. 10/10, credit where it's due. EDIT: She only did that for the 10:30 intro. Oh well.) A shame the retro jingles have gone, I really enjoyed hearing them but the new ones are quite good, there's now a top of hour jingle. Looking forward to Jordan tomorrow. 

Edited by OohErr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, been following these forums for a while, thought I'd join the fun at last!

Caught a few bits of Matt and Molly today - they worked well together and were both funny at times. I agree with @OohErr, Molly's back announcing didn't sound too natural but I'm sure it will get better. It was also good to hear Matt back in this format with the chance to do proper links rather than just announcing the next "greatest hit".

I've been listening to Jordan since he was on Rock FM - he sounded great when he covered Alice the other weekend (that particular show reminded me of his old Home Run show actually). Also looking forward to catching him tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good to have Matt's show back, I must say. I've just stumbled across this on Twitter: 

 And he was good to his word. Selected highlights include:

But anyway, ten days later...

He clearly wasn't a fan of having Greatest Hits imposed on him (neither were we), but this is promising. A quick Twitter search for "MattEdmondson podcast" reveals a significant demand for the return of the podcast so fingers crossed.

Edited by OohErr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, OohErr said:

He clearly wasn't a fan of having Greatest Hits imposed on him (neither were we), but this is promising.

I don't think any of us are a fan of the Greatest Hits anymore, are we? It was great in September to mark the 50th birthday, but now it is just boring. As I have said before, Radio 1 are dedicating 8.5 hours a week to the Greatest Hits. Too much in my opinion, and some of the song choices included are questionable too! 

Edited by Jordan12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was watching a conference speech by former BBC Radio boss Helen Boaden over the weekend and she mentioned a chat with Ben Cooper about what Radio 1 have changed. The new imaging and shorter song edits were mentioned, as were the Greatest Hits. She said Ben wants to create shows in the schedule which are "family listening" - songs that the 40 year old mother and 10 year old child can both sing along to and make it more of a family thing to bring in a new young generation of listeners. Clever in a way I suppose. So the Greatest Hits shows are here to stay.

Bit disappointed Scott's Friday Mix has been dropped in favour of 30 mins of greatest hits. It's less dance-orientated now so it doesn't have that weekend vibe it used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, murste said:

Was watching a conference speech by former BBC Radio boss Helen Boaden over the weekend and she mentioned a chat with Ben Cooper about what Radio 1 have changed. The new imaging and shorter song edits were mentioned, as were the Greatest Hits. She said Ben wants to create shows in the schedule which are "family listening" - songs that the 40 year old mother and 10 year old child can both sing along to and make it more of a family thing to bring in a new young generation of listeners. Clever in a way I suppose. So the Greatest Hits shows are here to stay.

Bit disappointed Scott's Friday Mix has been dropped in favour of 30 mins of greatest hits. It's less dance-orientated now so it doesn't have that weekend vibe it used to.

That's very interesting, although it probably won't be good for the short term age stats.

I can't say I'm too fussed about the changes to the Friday Mix - I'd rather it wasn't there at all, and there was a proper feature like Real or No Real instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2018 at 5:16 PM, OohErr said:

Just had a thought - I wonder whether Dev will continue to be Greg's main cover, and whether it'll be Dev solo or Dev and Alice?

Just Dev in for Greg on 22nd March, so my guess is it'll be either Dev or Alice rather than both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1