Unofficial Mills

2018 Predictions

OohErr

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I'd start one specifically for the subject. 

I feel like Grimmy's gotta go this year, hasn't he? Surely he can't go on for another year. I'm fairly confident Tina Daheley will go though - I rarely listen to the Radio 1 Breakfast show these days, but almost every tine I do, she isn't there. 

Jordan North has now been covering shows since 2014 - I'm fairly sure he'll get a permanent show this year. Maybe Alice Levine will leave - she's good but she's never seemed particularly invested in radio, what with all the time off AND not doing any work over Christmas (or even this weekend). Then again I think she'd be a good addition to daytimes, if she could ever commit to it, potentially as a replacement for Greg if he gets breakfast. 

Dev will have been on weekends for four years in April - I really love him, so I hope they don't let him go but he certainly won't make it to daytime now. And in January Matt will have been on for FIVE years (which is a long time in radio). I can't decide whether I think he'll get a call up when Scott eventually leaves - he might be a bit old, and his show at the moment certainly isn't target. That said, I don't think Mills will leave in 2018. Fingers crossed. 

Adele's only been on early breakfast for two years and she's a solid if not cutting edge jock, but she probably doesn't have a future on daytimes purely due to her age. I could potentially see her being sent to weekends if any of the above leave and Jordan getting her slot. Alternatively, he might get one of their weekend slots, or if he's really lucky (unlikely), promoted straight to daytime.

I doubt any of these will come true, but you never know. There hasn't been a daytime schedule shakeup since 2015 - 2018 could either bring the most radical shakeup there's been in years, or more of the same. 

I agree with Grimmy this year

Maybe Mills will start the transition to R2 hopefully if Sara Cox gets a full time slot on there Mills could be the cover for Breakfast and Drive and the Ken Bruce slot as well as the main cover on R1 breakfast

Greg I think his TV career will take off, so I cant see him sticking about for another year with someone like maybe Grimmy replacing him? then a new breakfast host (Jordan and Katie maybe) or will they go for gold and try to poach someone like Roman Kemp

Chris Moyles - I can see him making a BBC comeback on radio 2 as well potentially for the right slot (evens retiring?)

Maybe as a curve ball - Clara Amfo maybe her TV career will take off and we will have a new mid morning host

Question for all while we are on it

A. Has Scott ever covered the live lounge show

B. was scott on the Mayo 37hr show

On 24/12/2017 at 9:22 PM, OohErr said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I'd start one specifically for the subject. 

I feel like Grimmy's gotta go this year, hasn't he? Surely he can't go on for another year. I'm fairly confident Tina Daheley will go though - I rarely listen to the Radio 1 Breakfast show these days, but almost every tine I do, she isn't there. 

Jordan North has now been covering shows since 2014 - I'm fairly sure he'll get a permanent show this year. Maybe Alice Levine will leave - she's good but she's never seemed particularly invested in radio, what with all the time off AND not doing any work over Christmas (or even this weekend). Then again I think she'd be a good addition to daytimes, if she could ever commit to it, potentially as a replacement for Greg if he gets breakfast. 

Dev will have been on weekends for four years in April - I really love him, so I hope they don't let him go but he certainly won't make it to daytime now. And in January Matt will have been on for FIVE years (which is a long time in radio). I can't decide whether I think he'll get a call up when Scott eventually leaves - he might be a bit old, and his show at the moment certainly isn't target. That said, I don't think Mills will leave in 2018. Fingers crossed. 

Adele's only been on early breakfast for two years and she's a solid if not cutting edge jock, but she probably doesn't have a future on daytimes purely due to her age. I could potentially see her being sent to weekends if any of the above leave and Jordan getting her slot. Alternatively, he might get one of their weekend slots, or if he's really lucky (unlikely), promoted straight to daytime.

I doubt any of these will come true, but you never know. There hasn't been a daytime schedule shakeup since 2015 - 2018 could either bring the most radical shakeup there's been in years, or more of the same. 

Tina is doing increasingly more cover on the Victoria Derbyshire Show on BBC Two these days. She also presents BBC Breakfast most weekends live from Salford. It would be a shame if she moved on, but in an interview with The Telegraph earlier this year, she admitted herself that her time at Radio 1 was 'probably coming to an end'.

Something has to change on the breakfast show. Look at how many features they had when Ian, Matt and LMC (WHOOOOO?) were producing - ShowQuizness, The Waking Up Song, guest interviews that were actually worthwhile etc - compared to what they have now; a rubbish rip-off of Bangers, Throwback Thursday, Nixtape, guest interviews broken up by three tracks sometimes, and up to three installments of the Entertainment News. It is little wonder that listening figures are fluctuating. As has been mentioned before, I think Ben Cooper is wanting to keep Nick on that slot for as close to 8 years as possible (next September will be 6).

2018 sees Scott (as well as Aled) mark their 20th year at Radio 1. It would be a shame if management decided Scott's time was up before he had the chance to mark such a big year in his career. He doubt he would leave of his own accord.

I feel Matt will leave at some point within the next 12 months. He has been heavily involved in TV work this year, and it is only natural that is priorities have changed since becoming a father last year. Having said that, I would have thought he would have done the 1pm slot this week, which would have saved Dev doing it and Jordan North doing pretty much two weeks straight of cover. I think Jordan would suit 10am at weekends as well as permanent holiday cover on early breakfast, with Nick Bright covering illness etc.

Most of the listeners at this point want some change but I doubt it will happen. Ben Cooper seems very reluctant to do anything and only appears to change stuff around when people leave the station. My thoughts for 2018 are as follows.

Weekday Breakfast: Grimmy needs to go, there's just something about him which I can't stand. His features are naff, the music he plays is naff and quite frankly, I think he is naff. I currently listen to Moyles on Radio X in the morning and Radio 1 would have to get a very good DJ in the breakfast slot for me to even consider switching my listening habits. I wouldn't mind Greg taking the breakfast show over, as long as he played the same type of music as he does on drivetime and keeps his podcast going.

Weekday Mid Morning: Although I don't get to listen to this show often when I do I don't find Clara that entertaining. I Alice would fit into this slot perfectly and is 100 times more entertaining than Clara. Another person who I think would be good in this slot is Annie. She covered for Clara a while back and I really enjoyed when she presented it, but I don't think Annie would want this slot permanently, nor would R1 want to put their Night Time star on Mid Morning.

Weekday Afternoon: I think Scott will stay 2018, no change here! If there had to be changed put Jordan North here, I rate him very highly and hope a permanent slot opens for him very soon.

Weekday Drivetime:  If Greg moved to Breakfast I don't know who I would want to replace him. Maybe move Scott back here and put Jordan on afternoon as mentioned above?

Weekday Night Time: Annie is great, Charlie is not to my taste and Huw is great. I wouldn't be upset if this didn't change but swapping round Charlie and Huw's shows would be nice.

Other Mentions: Mister Jam's dance anthems have been very good so far. Matt is a good DJ, but I wouldn't be too upset if he left the station, which could easily happen in 2018. I don't like Katie or Cel and I'm neutral on Dev, so any changes in the weekend would not affect me that much. 

TLDR; Get Jordan a perm slot and get rid of Grimmy!

As mentioned before, I think Coope wants to beat the CM record on Breakfast

It was him that engineered Moyles leaving and installing Grimmy therefore he has to prove a point and keep Grimmy in it to beat Moyles at least

Greg on breakfast maybe but he is in the same zone Scott was in about 2010 when it was speculated Moyles would go and he would take over then it would have been ideal for Scott but September 2012 he had already been relegated to afternoons so no chance

If anything happens I would say Mills to weekends and doing cover work on R2 and R1 in the week (covering Grimmy and Greg and his old show maybe as well as R2 shows like drive, Ken Bruce and the Steve Wright show) move Greg to 1-4 (i know he did this before) and put the new guys on Breakfast and drive

2 hours ago, JWB_ said:

Other Mentions: Mister Jam's dance anthems have been very good so far. Matt is a good DJ, but I wouldn't be too upset if he left the station, which could easily happen in 2018. I don't like Katie or Cel and I'm neutral on Dev, so any changes in the weekend would not affect me that much. 

I would say that either Alice of Matt could leave fairly soon as they are hardly ever actually on (especially Alice). If there will be any change it will probably just be Jordan North replacing one of the above on weekends. Despite them both being very entertaining they may not stick around much longer. Dev on the other hand, I find very boring so hopefully he will leave the station too. I just think if anything changes it will be the weekend schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

The Christmas and New Year line up I hope is a sign of what is to come. But maybe not this year.

Jordan North could potentially get a permanent slot either Early Breakfast or a weekend slot. They have to snap him up quick before someone else does. This guy is hugely talented.
I was hugely impressed with Katie Thiseltons work. A lot more to do particularly the partnership with Cel needs improving.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

I think Grimmy has at least another year if not more

He is now 3rd longest and only has another 138 days left to be 2nd to Moyles

I'm still convinved he will go for Moyle's record

Also of note, does WIKI calculate the number of days by show or days he has been in position i.e. including weekends

Alot of people are saying Scott will be the likely deputy for Sara Cox's new show on Radio 2

I would be surprised if Grimmy isn't the breakfast presenter at the end of this year. From Ben Cooper's perspective, he's exactly the type of person they need in that slot. Ratings aren't amazing but those who ARE listening are in the target audience. The show's boring with very little features but he's entertaining and quite witty I have to say (coming from someone who didn't like him initially).

Don't think there'll be any change to daytimes this year tbh - maybe Matt or Alice will leave and Jordan will get their slot. I think there's big things ahead for him - possible future drive presenter in my opinion if Greg goes to breakfast eventually.