Unofficial Mills

Ben Cooper: Age isn’t a number it’s an attitude

Jono

Refreshing to hear someone finally talking about the value of older talent to Radio 1. I'd argue Scott - who's perhaps an older star now - can connect better than some of the younger DJs to younger audiences. An interesting piece with Ben Cooper - who also admits to being dyslexic and not very academic - here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/radio-1-controller-ben-cooper-station-needs-regenerate-every/

It seems as if he's resigned to the fact that the average age isn't budging - which is a good thing I think. It's a bit rich coming from the guy who took Mills off drivetime literally because of his age (although it probably extended Scott's time on Radio 1 by a good few years so I might forgive him for that one).

It's the first time I've seen a reason that Radio 1 are battling to keep their audience young - to make them loyal to the BBC throughout their lives.

Although I would argue that not having a mainstream radio service for those aged between 24 and 35 scuppers that argument. People will just flock to commercial radio and might not come back to BBC Radio.

1 hour ago, Ant L said:

It's the first time I've seen a reason that Radio 1 are battling to keep their audience young - to make them loyal to the BBC throughout their lives.

I'd argue they've made it more difficult messing about with BBC Three and talking about pooling budgets with Radio 1 (no doubt for further cuts). I'd say the reason I'm still with Radio 1 outside of target audience is 6Music doesn't really speak to me, BBC local radio and Radio 2 are targeting a demographic much older. There was so much focus on targeting the pre-teens but there needs to be a better strategy for 25+ and under 45.

I think Grimmy will go for the 9 years on breakfast 

As for Mills, I reckon he will stay as is - relevant for another 2 to 4 years then maybe start to transition to R2 maybe the same way Coxy did by still covering work for R1 but covering R2 as well

Did he not mention recently hes just signed up gain anyway? 

Think your right (I think you are a R1 DJ hiding behind an alias.... and if you are WOW love it that I am talking to you on a forum...) Love his show and it appeals to me so much because it hits my age range (I am 37) as well as a good time as I am a shift worker so can usually catch him 

Like Greg as well and Grimmy 

For me (as I kept tweeting at the 50th) Scott and Greg are the Mike Read and Mayo of my generation 

Would love to see Scott cover another stint on breakfast 

I think Grimmy isn't going anywhere yet either