Unofficial Mills

50th Birthday Celebrations

OohErr

DAB pop up "Radio 1 Vintage" station for three days from 30th September with one hour extracts from archive shows. Tony Blackburn and Nick Grimshaw to launch it with a joint show and... MOYLES IS BACK!*

*although I'm not sure how big his role will be, the article suggests it'll just be a five minute introduction to his retro show segments. 

Very excited about this.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/29/radio-1-at-50-golden-oldies-to-return-for-celebration?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I was a bit worried there'd be very few retro items because of the heavy youth focus these days, but having the pop-up station is genius. It means they can be as a old school as they want whilst keeping the celebrations more current on the main station with Live Lounge Month.

Looking forward to this! A little surprised Global have allowed Moyles to (hopefully) have some input so good on them. 

Also - "Where It Began". Nice. 

Great to hear Moyles back for something! I'm really hoping for some Mark & Lard stuff, the breakfast show doesn't really matter so much. But a few old afternoon shows broadcast would be epic. Nice to see they included a picture of Mark on that video, he's only over on 6 Music and so is Marc so shouldn't be too hard to get hold of them for features.

on the grid.

The list of DJs whose archive shows they'll play:
Tony Blackburn
Alan Freeman
Kenny Everett
Emperor Rosko
John Peel
Noel Edmonds
Johnnie Walker
Ed Stewart
Annie Nightingale
Bob Harris
Mike Read
Gary Davies
David Jensen
Janice Long
Tommy Vance
Mike Smith
Mark Goodier
Simon Mayo
Simon Bates
Jackie Brambles
Steve Lamacq
Jo Whiley
Kevin Greening
Mark Radcliffe
Zoe Ball
Pete Tong
Sara Cox
Mary Anne Hobbs
Fab & Groove
Colin and Edith
Dave Pearce
Bobby & Nihal
Rob Da Bank
Tim Westwood
Chris Moyles
Fearne Cotton
Trevor Nelson
Zane Lowe

Only 38 hours there though, so I wonder what the rest of the time will be made up of. Interesting how they mention Mark Radcliffe but not Lard - it was always listed as Mark Radcliffe back in the day I think, but this makes it look a bit like Lard didn't want to be involved. 

Nice to see some Dave Pearce on there, an old Dance Anthems show would be fantastic. Shame there's no Judge Jules, he was one of Radio 1's staple dance DJ's for many years.

Lard has always stepped out of the limelight when it comes to the old show. But just for this once I would love him to just let it be. He should be proud of what they did on Radio 1, and how many people they made happy and laugh until their sides hurt. Mark seems to fully embrace it as given in this interview with Colin Murray for Radio 1's 40th 10 years back.

If anyone from Radio 1 is actually watching this thread, I'm happy to send over some full afternoon shows to contribute. Although I'm sure you have your own stash

on the grid.

Funny that Chris Evans is absent as well given he's still at the Beeb, completely rehabilitated. And Steve Wright. Then again, if you want to hear a retro edition of Steve Wright in the Afternoon, all you need to do is listen to yesterday's episode - you won't be able to tell the difference.

Thing is as far as Scott goes, he's still a current Radio 1 DJ, and they have all the time in the world to premier his stuff. Besides a lot of Scotts good stuff is post 2004, the digital age. So anything that matters is probably on this site.

on the grid.

Love the montage! Really pleased they're going all out on the 50th celebrations, the digital station is a brilliant idea. Surprised Scott wasn't included but I suppose he's still a current presenter. Would've liked to see Nick Grimshaw & Annie Mac from the Switch days on the line-up and Reggie Yates & Fearne Cotton rather than just Fearne considering Reggie was on both R1 and 1Xtra for so long and they were a great pairing (Fearne's best days were with Reggie).

Regarding Moyles, it would've looked ridiculous and petty if they didn't include him (longest serving breakfast presenter and all that)- also, it's nothing to do with Global. Radio 1 own all of The Chris Moyles Show content and it'll all still be on their systems somewhere.

Hope Live Lounge Month is a bit different to usual. Would also love Annie Mac to do some shows reflecting on the new acts Radio 1 have broken early on in their careers over the years. A countdown of the best 50 songs Radio 1 has played over the 50 years would be amazing too. Put out a shortlist of 100 and people can vote on the website. Count it down on the last Thursday in September- Scott doing 50-26 from 1-4pm and then Greg doing an Official Chart Special revealing the Number 1 before 5:45.

• 2 months later...

Every weekend in September Radio 1 are playing some of the best songs of the last 50 years too during the 10am-1pm slot.

Grimmy played some old songs this morning, complete with old jingles blended in with normal imaging. Sounded really good.

I also never thought we'd hear power intros of Wham! and Stevie Wonder...! Heard some during Adele's show.

22 hours ago, Ant L said:

How good is Jordan North too? He's become a really slick, natural presenter.

I don't mind Matt but Jordan would be great on this slot permanently.

Jordan is going to go to bigger and better things quickly. Matt seems to be focusing a lot more on TV presenting and producing, so I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan replaced Matt as Scott's cover presenter very soon. Radio 1 has 2 very good northerner presenters in Danny and Jordan and a bit of a rubbish one in Grimmy. All from Lancashire though, wouldn't mind seeing some representation from Yorkshire.

On 02/09/2017 at 9:30 AM, OohErr said:

Here's a BBC press pack with some Radio 1 facts (a lot of which I didn't know) and some interviews with former DJs.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/radio-1-50th-anniversary.pdf

That's wonderful! Explains the story behind Mark and Lard's beards and cowboy hats on the radio 1 DJ photoshoots!

Dave Pearce's bit is very cool too. He was left in a right hot spot covering for Evans. And who'd of ever thought Dance Anthems would ever work on a Sunday Night? It's where it should be now, with Dave, but on Radio 2.

on the grid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I listened to Tony Blackburn's recreation, it was incredible. Now listening to Grimmy and Tony - I think Moyles made more effort for his show with Tony for the 40th, he used Tony's theme tune as a bed and knew about Arnold when Grimmy didn't seem to. That said, I'm enjoying the whole thing already! Wonder if they'll bring in Johnny Beerling like Chris did.

Loving it all so far - I think they've got a good mix of music and chat for the Radio 1 simulcast. Just hope I can stick with listening to Radio 1 Vintage on my phone/laptop all weekend (DAB is a nightmare here). Fear I won't be doing much this weekend...