New Newsbeat Imaging - 2017
1 1

11 posts in this topic

So a new Newsbeat package has launched this morning. 

Sounds like an update to Daniel Mumford's last theme. 

Thoughts?

thebeuter likes this

I'm not sure on it at the moment, but I agree it sounds like an update. I'm curious to see what the sport bed sounds like (unless they've dropped it, but there hasn't really been any sport news so far today).

thebeuter likes this

Nothing has surfaced as of yet, although I am on the hunt as per usual! 

Yep, Dan is behind the refresh, working along side R1s station sound team to produce it!

Have to say, I do like it! I think it fits in well with the rest of R1's current imaging. 

murste likes this

Posted (edited)

So far so good - I'm liking. The lack of tagline is interesting. So unexpected as well - I remember the last time there were new news jingles we were waiting for weeks! What a lovely surprise!

I was just thinking after the Manchester attacks that the news bed REALLY didn't suit really sad serious news, this one is so much better. It has gravitas and a sense of severity, reminds me of the early 2000s Music4 stuff which was very good.

I also think the "one" instead of a full tagline is good, it makes it a bit more fluid - there's no need to time it so perfectly cause DJs can go early and talk either side of it. 

Edited by OohErr

I really like it- sounds slick, modern and I agree it has more gravitas to it while also being "bouncy" and a good bed if that makes sense! It also flows better as a bulletin with the removal of the clunkier two beeps between headline and main news and between news and sport where the reader would have to pause for a few seconds- not anymore.

The intro has gone from "Digital, FM, Online. This is BBC Radio 1" to "Listen, Watch, Share. This is BBC Radio 1" to "This is BBC Radio 1" to now just "1". I do slightly miss the "This is BBC Radio 1" intro from the last package- it sounded official and it sounded great when the presenter timed the intro perfectly. Still like the new package though.

It is a bit funny that the week after Gemma Cairney leaves, they introduce a news jingle which isn't as obvious to crash! :D 

OohErr and forde52 like this