Unofficial Mills

London Terror Attacks: Newsbeat 22/3/17

bensteele

Here's an overview of how Radio 1 responded to today's terror attacks.

Today's content on Radio 1 has been slightly different due to the developing story on the London terror attack which saw one confirmed dead, a police officer stabbed and Parliament suspended, with Theresa May being rushed from the House of Commons.

Radio 1 elected to choose sombre pop to come out of all bulletins since the first reporting, which was announced in Scott's show by an audibly shaken Chris Smith. Since then, bulletins have been provided with myriad of reporting by journalists both on the ground and in the studio. Tonight's bulletin was described as a "Newsbeat Special" and ended without the Ten Minute Takeover.

Nothing regarding the attacks was published on Newsbeat's website, which is soon to be retired. 

You can hear tonight's Newspeat Special here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Cy0l9zVU5wVngweHp0NjlURWc/view?usp=sharing

You can hear the bulletins here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Cy0l9zVU5wWVdPSlQzSUROZWc/view?usp=sharing

Here's an overview of how Radio 1 responded to today's terror attacks. Today's content on Radio 1 has been slightly different due to the developing story on the London terror attack which saw one confirmed dead, a police officer stabbed and Parliament suspended, with Theresa May being rushed from the House of Commons.

Radio 1 elected to choose sombre pop to come out of all bulletins since the first reporting, which was announced in Scott's show by an audibly shaken Chris Smith. Since then, bulletins have been provided with myriad of reporting by journalists both on the ground and in the studio. Tonight's bulletin was described as a "Newsbeat Special" and ended without the Ten Minute Takeover.

Nothing regarding the attacks was published on Newsbeat's website, which is soon to be retired. 

You can hear tonight's Newspeat Special here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Cy0l9zVU5wVngweHp0NjlURWc/view?usp=sharing

I am a bit disappointed that it took nearly an hour from the attack to the first time they mentioned anything on air. And after that Scott and Chris just continued as normal, talking about Innuendo Bingo and such stuff, playing all the normal nusic. I've read an article about Radio production on the R1 website where they said heavy news stories have to be reacted to by the presenters, but what could be heavier than the capital under attack? I really would have thought especially Scott would have reacted way better. At least they didn't play Real or no real.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

5 minutes ago, thebeuter said:

I am a bit disappointed that it took nearly an hour from the attack to the first time they mentioned anything on air. And after that Scott and Chris just continued as normal, talking about Innuendo Bingo and such stuff, playing all the normal nusic. I've read an article about Radio production on the R1 website where they said heavy news stories have to be reacted to by the presenters, but what could be heavier than the capital under attack? I really would have thought especially Scott would have reacted way better.

It's not Scott's decision- they obviously saw the news but the producer/ editor would've specifically told them to carry on as normal. People could tune to 5Live/ TV News/ social media to find out what's going on. However, I do agree a simulcast 3pm and 4pm bulletin would've been useful and convey the seriousness of the story. The only thing I can really imagine normal R1 output being suspended for would be the Queen's death or something similar to 7/7 or 9/11.

Surprised there weren't any additional Newsbeat updates today, but besides election/referendum results I can't think of a point in recent time when they've done more than the usual number of bulletins (in the case of elections they tend to start earlier). Saying that, I have a vague recollection of a Newsbeat update before Annie Mac's show at some point in history, but may have made this up!

1 hour ago, thebeuter said:

1. I know.
2. But isn't it as serious?

Today was a big incident but if there were bombs/ major attacks on public transport or reports that a large number of people had possibly been killed (like Paris or Nice), I'd say the R1 response might be different. As for the Queen, R1 will be unrecognisable. No games/features, sad music throughout the day, normal playlist abandoned. I'm sure it's difficult to judge what warrants increased Newsbeat coverage on the station but today, they obviously felt the normal schedule of bulletins was appropriate. Personally, I think there should've been more today.

This is a fascinating piece on what will happen when the Queen dies and there's some quotes from Chris Price, Radio 1's Head of Music, about a song you'll only ever hear on Radio 1 when the Queen dies: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

Also clipped up every news bulletin prior to 5:45 that broke the news. 

Interesting that Dev refers to "news and sport with Chris Smith", and that he says HI TO PETE IN LANCASTER without context. Very odd. Scott is far far better.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Cy0l9zVU5wWVdPSlQzSUROZWc/view?usp=sharing

26 minutes ago, bensteele said:

Interesting that Dev refers to "news and sport with Chris Smith"

Damn right, as he should. Cause that's what it is. How it should be done.

26 minutes ago, bensteele said:

he says HI TO PETE IN LANCASTER without context. Very odd.

I noticed that too and thought it was weird at the time. I wonder what is was that Pete in Lancaster had to say.

Newsbeat reported the news really poorly indeed... Radio 5live jumped into the coverage at around 14:50 so there was enough of information for additional 15:00 bulletin. Reporting that terror attack happened almost an hour late is unexceptional for the BBC. The news bulletins were clear and informative but there were too few of them. Even Capital did half-hour news bulletins. 

Well you can't compare it to 5Live because the whole point of 5Live is that it does breaking news and can switch to full live coverage of a big event straightaway. Radio 1 is obviously music and personality-driven with a bit of news. I do agree that there should've been a simulcast update on Radio 1 and 1Xtra as the story was breaking and then an additional 4pm and longer 5pm bulletin too. They probably should've done a short 6:30pm update too. The actual coverage was some of the best I heard- Chris Smith was brilliant, told the story in a very calm way and explained things clearly and in the order in which they happened. Good clips which conveyed the seriousness of it too. The 5:45 Newsbeat was also great but I do think there should've been more coverage for such a significant story.

Interesting to see how they handled this. I plan to save Scott and Dev's shows off the iplayer before they dissapear. I only dropped into Dev's show about 4.30 and he sounded upbeat. I do plan to have a proper seek through this though.

Seems like they spent the first hour behind the scenes probably debating how to handle the situation, what the tone of the station should be. So Scott probably wasn't told to do anything differently during his time on air. Chris Price is back at Radio 1 now, he was working as a music producer at Radio 1 when September 11th happened. So has experience vastly with things like this.

What happened last Wednesday was awful without question, but not on a scale of 7/7 or 9/11. I'm old enough to remember Radio 1's output on both of these occasions.

Over 50 people (I believe, not sure of the exact amount) died on 7/7, the reports you hear on the vault on this site were recorded by myself. Scott was on breakfast and got reports in at 9.30, 9.45 and right before Jo Whiley at 10am. The rest of the day handed to Newsbeat frequently, but the Radio 1 playlist never altered that much I recall.

I remember Colin & Edith in the afternoon being upbeat/friendly but respectful at the same time. Scott had to cover for Vernon Kay, who was meant to be on from 4pm as Scott was on Breakfast in for Chris Moyles. He spoke to Vernon on the phone I'm sure. I planned to save that day from listen again as it were back then, I stupidly never did for some reason.

I do have Scott's show from 21st July 2005 when they tried the same again in London but failed, nothing much out of the ordinary on that day though only mentions of it on Newsbeat.

9/11 was a totally different animal. The world felt it like it was on the verge of the biggest war since WW2 all that week, and the shock of the attacks were broadcast live around the world. Nothing much but the Newsbeat reports and small bits of other stuff survive from Radio 1 around then. Remember, there was no iplayer or listen again to save.

But if you listen to the 2.30pm and 3pm Newsbeat reports by Clare Bradley from Mark & Lard's show, you can clearly hear the shock in her voice as she talked of the planes hitting the towers and people jumping to certain death from 110 floors in the air.

Radio 1's daytime playlist altered quite a bit that week, usually songs from the last 5 years until that point. Although Moyles played Basement Jaxx - Romeo and Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag on the afternoon, which were normal mood Radio 1 playlist songs.

I think things got solem in the days after. Moby's Poreclain was played a lot, Zero 7's Destiny was another. I also remember The Avalanches - Since I Left You, Bob Marley & Lauryn Hill - Turn Your Lights Down Low, Spiritualized - Stop Your Crying. Travis - Side was another.

Scott Mills and (I believe) Dr Mark Hamilton hosted a special edition of the Sunday Surgery at the end of that week.

Very few, if anyone survives at Radio 1 from these events. Only Scott and Chris Price on the playlist team. So they haven't really been tested on such a scale. I don't know for sure but I imagine the Radio 1 bosses would use Scott primarily during a major obit situation. After him, who knows. I'd say Greg.

As for the Queen, there are well placed procedures in place to deal with the event like mentioned in the above article. So it will be easier to deal with for Radio 1 in some sense than a terrorist attack, because they know exactly what they have to do. Diana dying was a huge shock, but I imagine Radio 1 will sound similar to this when the Queen does pass away.

https://ia601504.us.archive.org/9/items/19970831Sun09591018BBCRadio1DeathOfDianaPrincessOfWales/1997 08 31 Sun 0959-1018 BBC Radio 1 - Death of Diana, Princess of Wales.mp3

on the grid.