Unofficial Mills

Streaming has ruined the radio 1 playlist!

koalasunshine

I know streaming has caused the chart to have songs hanging around for such a long time and radio 1 needs to reflect the songs in the chart but I am so sick that songs seem to stay on the playlist for ages! I really like rag and bone man but if I hear human again I will scream! 

I'll scream with you. And I can't listen to 'Shape of you' by Ed overrated Sheeran anymore.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

It doesn't help that they now shorten some songs so they can squeeze in even more of the 'popular hits'. 

And they've definitely upped the music quotas (again), Scott has to play a song in the middle of Real or No Real now and it's been cut down to 3 facts instead of 4. Today there was only 2 facts because he spoke to Greg for too long - Greg goes "I feel short changed, isn't there normally 3?" to which Scott responded "yes but I've got to play the hits". Sounds like they've definitely been told to play more songs / not drop them.

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

It doesn't help that they now shorten some songs so they can squeeze in even more of the 'popular hits'. 

And they've definitely upped the music quotas (again), Scott has to play a song in the middle of Real or No Real now and it's been cut down to 3 facts instead of 4. Today there was only 2 facts because he spoke to Greg for too long - Greg goes "I feel short changed, isn't there normally 3?" to which Scott responded "yes but I've got to play the hits". Sounds like they've definitely been told to play more songs / not drop them.

This has been annoying me- one of the great things about RONR is the banter between Scott, Chris and the DJ and the flow of the game. It has the potential to be one of the funniest things on Radio 1 when they're on top form and the facts are funny. Stopping after 1 fact to play a song we've heard countless times is pointless and ruins the flow. It's happened a few times where they've only done 2 facts. Such a shame, especially now that they have such a good line-up with Greg on Mondays, Charlie Sloth on Tuesdays, Alice on Thursdays and Cel on Friday. They all have the potential to be hilarious and have been great the last few weeks, just drop the song in the middle and go back to 4 facts!

Streaming music services/youtube has generally been kicking radio in the balls since 2006.

I do admit songs seem to linger a lot longer now, at least they aren't as bad as Capital for it. Radio 1 will drop the likes of shape of you into recurrents soon so it gets played but far less, you can rest assured Capital will keep it in their main list until about May.

on the grid.

16 hours ago, OohErr said:

They only usually play shorter versions of songs on Friday (cos New Music Friday) but I have heard shortened songs during the weekend shows too, particularly after the news and at the top of the hour. 

They only usually play shorter versions of songs on Friday (cos New Music Friday) but I have heard shortened songs during the weekend shows too, particularly after the news and at the top of the hour. 

And three songs in a row is the worst thing a station can do. The content quantity is just too low. My local radio station used to try it but failed losing many of their listeners.

Content quality is far too low, I agree.

The Breakfast Show has a cheap version of Bangers at 7:10am, three hourly updates of Ents News and a guest and the guest is on at 8:10am and the interview, more often that not, is wrapped by 8:25am. There is no features after 9am, expect for Throwback Thursday and the Nixtape on a Friday.

There is no content on Clara's show if there is not a Live Lounge - just links to the next song and ANOTHER Ents update at 10:40am.

The afternoon shows are the best for content.

Scott & Chris have Bangers everyday at 2:40pm, Innuendo Bingo twice a week, RoNR and Bambaleo Wednesday but I have noticed that even Innuendo Bingo has been scaled back over the last year or so. If you watch the videos done with Dev and Greg James from this time last year, they were around 11 or 12 minutes long - now you are lucky if they are 7 or 8 minutes long but I suspect this is because of the quality of contestants and whether they enjoy the game or not.

Greg has a feature every day after 5pm and every day after 6pm - after the 10 minute takeover.

I get that Radio 1 is supposed to be leading the way for new music but the features are getting shorter and shorter and they seem to think we, the listeners, don't notice. I think there is such a thing as too much music as you can easily fit 40 songs into three hours (I am sure Clara has more than this even though her show is 15 minutes shorter!) and have plenty time for features without them feeling rushed.

Content quality is far too low, I agree.

The Breakfast Show has a cheap version of Bangers at 7:10am, three hourly updates of Ents News and a guest and the guest is on at 8:10am and the interview, more often that not, is wrapped by 8:25am. There is no features after 9am, expect for Throwback Thursday and the Nixtape on a Friday.

There is no content on Clara's show if there is not a Live Lounge - just links to the next song and ANOTHER Ents update at 10:40am.

The afternoon shows are the best for content.

Scott & Chris have Bangers everyday at 2:40pm, Innuendo Bingo twice a week, RoNR and Bambaleo Wednesday but I have noticed that even Innuendo Bingo has been scaled back over the last year or so. If you watch the videos done with Dev and Greg James from this time last year, they were around 11 or 12 minutes long - now you are lucky if they are 7 or 8 minutes long but I suspect this is because of the quality of contestants and whether they enjoy the game or not.

Greg has a feature every day after 5pm and every day after 6pm - after the 10 minute takeover.

I get that Radio 1 is supposed to be leading the way for new music but the features are getting shorter and shorter and they seem to think we, the listeners, don't notice. I think there is such a thing as too much music as you can easily fit 40 songs into three hours (I am sure Clara has more than this even though her show is 15 minutes shorter!) and have plenty time for features without them feeling rushed.

QUANTITY!

But you've made some good points.

Does seem to have lost its way recently, what with the blame for people not listening on Spotify, yet providing basically the same service but without choice. 

Spotify is accessible to the vast majority of people with radio access - the only thing that makes radio stand out is the bits inbetween the songs, which now only seem to be plugs for more songs! Scott especially has been mentioning "X to play, X to play and X aswell in the next X minutes" - and so has Greg too. 

For God's sake Radio 1, don't morph into Capital. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with you guys. I don't mind amount of music during Scott's and Greg's shows but in the first part of the day it's just unbearable. Clara's show has no content at all and the worst thing it just does not sound good unlike Capital or other commercial rivals. And the breakfast show sounds tired. In fact, I think that drivetime show sounds better than the breakfast one which is a shame and a main issue Radio 1 keep losing listeners IMO.

On the other hand, I love weekend output. Dev's great so is Matt, Alice and Danny. 

41 minutes ago, IamNotFromUK said:

On the other hand, I love weekend output. Dev's great so is Matt, Alice and Danny. 

All crap, uninteresting and formulaic. 

Breakfast certainly needs a change, it would be good probably now in boosting listening figures and getting Radio 1 back on track