Unofficial Mills

Big Weekend 2017

Frermanian

So with last year's location being announced around this time last year, I thought we could now start a thread wondering where it might be this year.

I want to say Hull being as it's the City of Culture this year, but it could be anywheeerrreeee.

Also, who do we think will be playing? I'm a rock/indie fan myself so don't know too much about who could be playing from different genres, but I'd imagine Rag'N'Bone man will be pretty high up Introducing. Also Ed Sheeran could be a pretty safe bet, he's a good friend of Scott & Chris especially and Radio 1 love him so maybe he could headline? I'd love to see Green Day there as well but I think that's a bit to far fetched.

Other thoughts of mine: Radiohead, You Me At Six, Royal Blood (yes please), Twin Atlantic (another yes please), Little Mix, and I guess Drake. Also, a band called The Amazons who I've interviewed for my student radio and who could easily play high on Introducing.

Anyway, what do you think?

(Also it posted twice so use this thread + ignore the other)

I think it should be somewhere up north, Hull seems a good candidate! I'd love it to be in Middlesbrough as we never get any music around here! However, it's not been in Wales since Bangor. 

In terms of performers I would love Ed Sheeran to perform as well as blossoms, Christine and the queens, Bastille, Jamie T, The weeknd, Bruno mars and Sia! 

I would like to see The Big Weekend come to Aberdeen or the surrounding area this year (not just because I live here!). Aberdeen has taken a massive battering with the downturn in the oil and gas sector resulting in thousands of jobs being lost and the local economy going down the drain. Also, we had a festival here last year that Example, Katy B and Melissa Steel, all favourites on the R1 playlist performed at and it was a great success.

Who I hope to be there:

• Christine & The Queens
  • Niall Horan
  • Sigala
  • Sean Paul
  • Dua Lipa
  • Becky Hill
  • Ray BLK
  • Rag'n'Bone Man
  • Little Mix
  • The 1975
  • Ed Sheeran
  • RAYE
  • Tinie Tempah
  • Bruno Mars
  • JP Cooper
  • The XX
  • M.O
  • Izzy Bizu
  • Chance The Rapper
  • Charli XCX
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Chainsmokers

Don't think all of these will be there but I'm hopeful at most of them will...!

I'd have thought they'd announce a massive headliner first? Kings of Leon are headlining BST in Hyde Park but R1 Big Weekend is a different matter, like Biffy Clyro only headline In New Music We Trust last year in Exeter and then headlined Reading Festival. (it was awesome)

So Kings of Leon a potential first headliner, but I doubt the massive headline grabbing acts have been revealed yet.

9 hours ago, Frermanian said:

I'd have thought they'd announce a massive headliner first? Kings of Leon are headlining BST in Hyde Park but R1 Big Weekend is a different matter, like Biffy Clyro only headline In New Music We Trust last year in Exeter and then headlined Reading Festival. (it was awesome)

So Kings of Leon a potential first headliner, but I doubt the massive headline grabbing acts have been revealed yet.

Well I think Little Mix are probably one of the biggest acts in the U.K right now! I'm hoping I may get tickets as its come to Yorkshire yay!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2017 at 10:47 PM, THIS IS THE BBC said:

Are they going to announce any more before they release the full lineup. Last year by now, there were already 7 acts on the bill.

There is definitely a lack of hype this year - I don't understand why they'd release the location and three acts, then basically forget about it for two months!

• 1 month later...

I've put together a map of all the places Big Weekend has been, it's quite interesting seeing the gaps.

http://unofficialmills.co.uk/2017/01/radio-1s-big-weekend-heads-to-hull/

So did anyone manage to get tickets? I've managed to somehow get both days despite being well out of the area. So you can rely on me to be tweeting the whole thing...

Are you just really lucky with the ticket lottery Jono? You always manage to go, it's incredible. Thought you might have something to do with R1 in your job, or they just rewarded you for being the loyal admin of this site. Either way, have an amazin time.

The midlands and south coast are really overdue a visit - they haven't been to Wales for a while either. Maybe next year they could go to see the Scott Mills statue in Southampton? Seems to me that they don't do big cities - wonder why. Maybe they don't want to encroach on Capital/Bauer City 1 territory.

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

Are you just really lucky with the ticket lottery Jono? You always manage to go, it's incredible. Thought you might have something to do with R1 in your job, or they just rewarded you for being the loyal admin of this site. Either way, have an amazin time.

The midlands and south coast are really overdue a visit - they haven't been to Wales for a while either. Maybe next year they could go to see the Scott Mills statue in Southampton? Seems to me that they don't do big cities - wonder why. Maybe they don't want to encroach on Capital/Bauer City 1 territory.

They have never been to West Yorkshire. I live in Leeds and emailed a while back cheekily asking why they never come and they said it's because Leeds has Leeds fest. I just wish I could afford to pay the tickets for Leeds festival!

• 4 weeks later...

The radio broadcasts from the first day of Radio 1’s Big Weekend Hull 2017 are:
10am - Matt Edmondson & Adele Roberts
1pm - Alice Levine, Nick Grimshaw & Dev
4pm - Greg James, Charlie Sloth & Danny Howard
7pm - Scott Mills, Clara Amfo & MistaJam
10pm - Huw Stephens

The radio broadcasts from the second day of Radio 1’s Big Weekend Hull 2017 are:
10am - Matt Edmondson & Adele Roberts
1pm - Alice Levine, Nick Grimshaw & Dev
4pm - Greg James, Charlie Sloth & Cel Spellman
7pm - Scott Mills & Clara Amfo
10pm - Phil Taggart

4 minutes ago, Alex9.4 said:

I'd say they mean Scott as in Scott&Chris.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

No, they mean Scott. Chris isn't a presenter. Scott's name above the door, as they say. His name on the schedules, the voiceovers etc. Him and Chris aren't joined at the hip but I'd say Chris will pop up as a roving reporter chatting to people across the two days.

Pretty sure they don't have any live TV coverage anymore since BBC3 closed and it's all on iPlayer/ the website. Greg and Fearne never used to be on the radio over Big Weekends because they were hosting the live BBC3 coverage in the evenings. That would be Greg and Clara now if they still did it so the fact they're both doing a lot of the radio coverage and that live TV coverage isn't really necessary to reach the R1 target audience would suggest there's none

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, murste said:

Pretty sure they don't have any live TV coverage anymore since BBC3 closed and it's all on iPlayer/ the website. Greg and Fearne never used to be on the radio over Big Weekends because they were hosting the live BBC3 coverage in the evenings. That would be Greg and Clara now if they still did it so the fact they're both doing a lot of the radio coverage and that live TV coverage isn't really necessary to reach the R1 target audience would suggest there's none

Maybe it will be on the website live to stream? or Iplayer will have a special R1 channel for the days?

• 2 weeks later...