Unofficial Mills

Christmas and New Year on Radio 1 2016

welovemoyles

3 hours ago, murste said:

Errr maybe they're entitled to time off with their friends and families at Christmas like anyone else? Working in radio isn't a walk in the park- it's still a job and doing a show takes a lot of planning, preparation and dedication. A lot of the presenters aren't from London either so I'd imagine they're back in their home towns maybe instead of hanging around Broadcasting House.

I didn't say they weren't entitled - I just don't get why they'd want to because I don't really have any friends etc so tend to dislike Christmas and think its a whole lot of hype over nothing - but I suppose they probably have great social lives so hey...

Thanks to the power of Iplayer I've gone back through the years to look at who had what live shows on Christmas Day since 2007. Sadly its impossible to just see a schedule, you've gotta search by DJ, but here's what I've figured: (links provided to programme pages which include the music played)

2007 - Breakfast with Greg 6-10

2008 - Breakfast with Scott 7-10 / 10-1 with Greg

2009 - Breakfast with Greg 6-10

2010 - Breakfast with Greg 7-10 (this was a Saturday - still had a weekday presenter)

2011 - Breakfast with Greg 7-10 (was a Sunday) / Official Chart with Reggie

2012 - Breakfast with Greg 6-10 / Fearne Cotton 10-1 (may have been a pre record) / Scott Mills 1-4

2013 - Adele 4-6:30Breakfast with Scott 6:30-10 / Huw Stephens 10-1

2014 - Gemma 4-6:30 (probably a pre record) / Scott 6:30-10 /  Fearne 10-1 (probably pre record) / Huw Stephens 1-4 

2015 - Adele 4-6:30 (pre record) / Breakfast with Scott 6:30-10 / Official Chart with Greg 10-1

2016 - Dev 6-10

Kind of demonstrates how little live content there is this year compared to previous years actually...

Thanks for putting that together- interesting to see. Seems to be that the breakfast show is the one show that's live on Christmas Day unless it's a Chart day, in which instance that's live. Disappointing that this year breaks such a long streak of Greg/Scott doing Christmas Day Breakfast: that list also shows that it doesn't matter what day it falls on, maybe neither of them wanted to do it :(

New Years Eve

06:00 Yasser
10:00 Jordan North
13:00 Adele Roberts
16:00 Dance Anthems
19:00 NYE Megamix
02:00 Essential Mix of the Year

New Year's Day

06:00 Yasser
10:00 Jordan North
13:00 Adele Roberts
16:00 Radio 1's Most Played of 2016 with Cel Spellman
19:00 Rock Show
22:00 Phil Taggart
00:00 Essential Mix of the Year

2nd January

04:00 Adele Roberts
06:30 Scott & Chris
10:00 Clara Amfo
13:00 Matt Edmondson
16:00 Dev
19:00 Mistajam 
21:00 AS NORMAL

3rd January

04:00 Adele Roberts
06:30 Scott & Chris
10:00 Clara Amfo
13:00 Matt Edmondson
16:00 Dev
19:00 Mistajam 
21:00 AS NORMAL

4th January - Normal Schedule apart from Dev - 16:00

1 hour ago, jack_0102 said:

Does anyone know is Scott and chris' bangers special live?

Sent from my iPad using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

I was wondering the same thing actually. From what it sounds like, they're getting loads of different people in to pick the bangers, including Radio 1 DJs - could this be the year Scott Mills and Charlie Sloth do a Christmas show? I for one hope so.

Will it literally be six hours straight of people choosing between two songs? Surely that would be overkill. But I'm rather looking forward.

It's a great idea for a show and will be perfect on Christmas Eve. They were talking about it today and there was a bit of a pause when Scott said "we'll be here on Christmas Eve" which made me think it'll be pre-recorded but I don't know. I imagine they'll do maybe 2/3 callers, 1 Radio 1/1Xtra DJ and maybe a celebrity per hour doing the traditional format of choosing between two songs and then the rest of each hour will be just Christmas songs, some straight-up bangers from a few years ago and maybe Scott and Chris' favourite bangers from the year. 

I can't imagine them doing 6 hours of live radio on Christmas Eve but if the news has to be introduced live etc, then they might. Or maybe 1-4 live and then 4-7 pre-recorded or something.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, thebeuter said:

It's all pre-recorded. Look at Scott's Snapchat

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Plus he's not introducing the newsreaders by name - that's a dead giveaway. 

Enjoying the show so far - I pissed myself when they opened door 24 of the whovent calendar and played Chris Moyles' old closing jingle. Pure class. 

Grimmy's Nixtape is also pre-recorded and voicetracked in some areas, he's said the same message everytime he goes into Newsbeat.

I think each pre record is done differently, I guess Grimmy wouldn't have spent 6 hours recording "the best of the nixtape" but I got the feeling that Scott and Chris would have spent the best part of six hours recording the Bangers thing because it didn't sound plastic like the others and there were time checks for the news etc.

Pretty sure Ali Plumb and Clara are both pre records too. Infact Early Breakfast and Breakfast are the only live shows until Friday when Dev has the official chart of the year which'll have to be live, and then an almost fully live New Years Eve, New Years Day, and then a fully live schedule on the 2nd Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

I highly doubt Scott and Chris recorded 'as-live' - Scott's just really good at what he does, so voice tracking a show to sound natural would be child's play. Grimmy on the other hand is not, hence why his pre-rec sounded slightly wooden, same goes for Clara.

Time checks for the news aren't rocket science either - the news happens on the half-hour dead, and even if it didn't nobody would notice a time check that's only a minute or two out. 

10 hours ago, matthewm192 said:

I think each pre record is done differently, I guess Grimmy wouldn't have spent 6 hours recording "the best of the nixtape" but I got the feeling that Scott and Chris would have spent the best part of six hours recording the Bangers thing because it didn't sound plastic like the others and there were time checks for the news etc.

Pretty sure Ali Plumb and Clara are both pre records too. Infact Early Breakfast and Breakfast are the only live shows until Friday when Dev has the official chart of the year which'll have to be live, and then an almost fully live New Years Eve, New Years Day, and then a fully live schedule on the 2nd Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

I suppose it couldn't be any worse than a chart show not being live, the mess that is the Big Top 40 WITH MARVIN HUUUMMES. Utterly messy with it being voicetracked, I mean why would want to bloody well voicetrack a Christmas Chart show? :grrr:

I suppose it couldn't be any worse than a chart show not being live, the mess that is the Big Top 40 WITH MARVIN HUUUMMES. Utterly messy with it being voicetracked, I mean why would want to bloody well voicetrack a Christmas Chart show? :grrr:

Surely pre recording "the freshest chart around" that is supposed to keep running while the show is still going is completely counter productive? I mean I didn't hear it but even conceptually it sounds like a complete mess!

Surely pre recording "the freshest chart around" that is supposed to keep running while the show is still going is completely counter productive? I mean I didn't hear it but even conceptually it sounds like a complete mess!

If it's also 'the freshest chart around' why doesn't it include streaming data in it? Not really fresh otherwise isn't it... 

9 hours ago, Anne O Rack said:

The Xmas bangers show was pretty good, although they did kind of imply for people to get in touch via the hashtag.

No texts or emails (for us old codgers and anyone that knows what memorex is!!!) being read out or advertised, so pretty obvious it was on tape.

The easy way to ALWAYS know:

Normal: "It's 2:30 on BBC Radio 1, let's get the news with Chris Smith"

Pre-record: "It's 2:30 on BBC Radio 1, and it's time for the news with the Newsbeat team"

They never ever say the newsreader's name. Also the bulletin will be two minutes long to the second.