Unofficial Mills

Ben Cooper to oversee Asian Network

Jono

Ben Cooper, who currently oversees Radio 1 and 1Xtra, will have the Asian Network added to his remit. Meanwhile interim chiefs have been appointed for Radio 2 and 6 Music – Lewis Carnie and Paul Rodgers respectively – while Shennan gets about recruiting a full-time Controller for those two stations.

In an email to BBC Radio staff published by Radio Today, Shennan said: “We have come a long way over the past few years on all platforms and we have exciting plans underway to deliver even more success in the future. We have a real opportunity to bolster our radio stations, attract new audiences and harness the global technological revolution. I know that if we work together we can build an even bigger, better BBC Radio”.

http://www.completemusicupdate.com/article/radio-1-chief-to-also-oversee-asian-network-in-bbc-radio-rejig/

While I understand the need for costcutting, Radio 1 and 1Xtra seems to need a lot of focus at the moment, surely giving the top boss another task isn't in the interest of Radio 1, 1Xtra or Asian Network?

Call me a loony pinko liberal if you must, but surely it would make sense for the controller of the Asian Network to be... you know - Asian. Otherwise how on earth will you "get" what the station and its audience are about?

In the same way that the most important person in black music according to 1Xtra was... Ed Sheeran

Sent from my iPhone using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Call me a loony pinko liberal if you must, but surely it would make sense for the controller of the Asian Network to be... you know - Asian. Otherwise how on earth will you "get" what the station and its audience are about?

In the same way that the most important person in black music according to 1Xtra was... Ed Sheeran

Sent from my iPhone using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app