Unofficial Mills

Clara Amfo

thebeuter

• 2 months later...

I find it very odd that nobody seems to recognise when Amfo's slot is, and why that might influence how 'lively' the show it. It's on during office hours, it's on when people want minimal conversation, maximum background music. As such, there are only a small amount of features and most of them are music-based. That is the brief of her show, that is, presumably, why you find her 'dull' - she is actually fulfilling the brief given to her, I imagine. Cotton's show was just the same. So was Whiley's.

9 hours ago, Joe said:

I find it very odd that nobody seems to recognise when Amfo's slot is, and why that might influence how 'lively' the show it. It's on during office hours, it's on when people want minimal conversation, maximum background music. As such, there are only a small amount of features and most of them are music-based. That is the brief of her show, that is, presumably, why you find her 'dull' - she is actually fulfilling the brief given to her, I imagine. Cotton's show was just the same. So was Whiley's.

I think this sums it up pretty well. R1 don't want that slot to be personality-driven in the same way Grimmy, Greg and Scott's shows are. It's at a time when people want to hear music while they're out and about or at work and it's billed as such. I remember seeing a thing where Fearne's producer was talking about the Playlist Team at the station and that the producer of that show sits on the team to decide the station's playlist as well as having more "free picks" than the other daytime shows to play new music/ alternative stuff.

It's a a show to showcase what the station is about musically and it has the Live Lounge and plays more new music. The bosses probably don't want long games, links or features. If I listen to Clara's show to be entertained, I'll probably be a bit let down but she's a good presenter for what the slot is. I do think it wouldn't kill them to do a bit more listener interaction- chat to listeners, do one short game or music news or something. Used to always like when Alice sat in as she'd do funny listener interaction things but what Clara's show is now probably suits the slot.

I agree with you there, the 10-1 slot is the time needing interaction the least, however what puts Radio 1 above everyone else is that there is personality and DJs are allowed to express themselves a bit more. So while Clara is fulfilling the brief for her show, it is turning a bit into a commercial station show with short links and just talking about the music. 

Alice brought personality and extended interaction but if she could still fit the brief of new music etc then she would be a good replacement for Clara. I don't think Clara can mix enough personality with generic radio to the extent Radio 1 are looking for.

I agree with you there, the 10-1 slot is the time needing interaction the least, however what puts Radio 1 above everyone else is that there is personality and DJs are allowed to express themselves a bit more. So while Clara is fulfilling the brief for her show, it is turning a bit into a commercial station show with short links and just talking about the music. 
Alice brought personality and extended interaction but if she could still fit the brief of new music etc then she would be a good replacement for Clara. I don't think Clara can mix enough personality with generic radio to the extent Radio 1 are looking for.

When Adele sat in, she played the wakey-wakey game and stuff. You don't have to get some minute long features on, like Innuendo Bingo, but at least something apart from playing music to stick out.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Simon Mayo bought plenty of personality there before Jo Whiley took it on full time in 2001. Maybe restrictions were different then, but he just came across as the friendly bloke next door type of thing. I think that's why he's got such an esteemed timeslot on Radio 2 these days.

on the grid.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! She had a guest this morning!

Technically, Amfo and Mills have about the same slot: Both during work, both with a bit of lunchbreak, both with just a few people listening without working. Now look, what Clara does and what Mills does every day. I don't agree with those who say she's got a bad slot.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app