Unofficial Mills

Edmondson Takes Radio 1 Off Air

OohErr

(for about four minutes).

15:55 today, listen back. Long silence. In case you're interested, first two tracks on the emergency tape are The Vamps - Last Night and Fuse ODG - Million Pound Girl, with an old sweeper in between. I'd reckon it was last updated around Spring 2014. Matt came back on and discussed it afterwards, apparently it was Charlie Sloth's fault. Very funny.

21 hours ago, forde52 said:

I find it strange how the Emergency Tape started part way through The Vamps and not at the start? Unless it is just on constant play now, when they were in Yalding it used to start from the start after the 30 second delay.

I wondered that too, but when it came on again before the start of Phil's show, it seemed to start from the beginning with Clean Bandit and an ident. To be honest, I'm just surprised (and slighyly disappointed) that it's not Hey Ya by OutKast anymore.

It was also weird how as soon as the studio was taken off air a trail played, before the silence - I'm trying to work out how that happened. Anyone who knows more about radio engineering than me got any suggestions?

Interesting that the emergency "tape" is at least two years old. The fact that we've (probably) never heard it before just goes to show how rare technical breakdowns are these days (of course this was human error rather than a fault).

Here's a fun emergency tape incident from back in '09 with some '06 imaging shoved in for old time's sake.

2 hours ago, Ant L said:

Interesting that the emergency "tape" is at least two years old. The fact that we've (probably) never heard it before just goes to show how rare technical breakdowns are these days (of course this was human error rather than a fault).

Here's a fun emergency tape incident from back in '09 with some '06 imaging shoved in for old time's sake.

They probably purposely make it slightly outdated so that people outside of the studio can be alerted to the fact that something's wrong. 

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate how Vernon Kay used to do a weekly maths question as an actual radio feature?

9 hours ago, OohErr said:

They probably purposely make it slightly outdated so that people outside of the studio can be alerted to the fact that something's wrong. 

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate how Vernon Kay used to do a weekly maths question as an actual radio feature?

I remember that! Our Vern was quite the geek when he was at Radio 1.

Really weird how in the Matt Edmondson one, you could hear background noise in the studio while there was dead air between the two emergency tape tracks but Matt didn't say anything on the mic. Then in the Phil Taggart one, Newsbeat came on at 10, then something went wrong midway through, we had about 20 seconds of Clean Bandit before they got back to Kat Collins towards the end of her bulletin. Don't think Phil addressed it either. The nerds in us secretly love when something goes wrong though!

On 10/26/2016 at 7:24 PM, OohErr said:

To be honest, I'm just surprised (and slighyly disappointed) that it's not Hey Ya by OutKast anymore.

Aha you're not alone there one bit! 

It was also weird how as soon as the studio was taken off air a trail played, before the silence - I'm trying to work out how that happened. Anyone who knows more about radio engineering than me got any suggestions?

That also puzzled me as if you listen it does kick in at a odd time which would be when the studio cut out.

The trails are scheduled in VCS like the shows music, and in turn is played out from VCS, which means the trail needed to be launched by pressing the "Start Divert" button on the desk. 

Each studio has it's own Studer SCore that the studios mixing consoles connect too (the DHD version was a DSP Frame) which all the local (to that studio) audio sources would connect to, such as Microphones, Headphones, CMS (Call Management System), DJ Decks, CD Players etc. The SCores are linked together so you can share audio sources and GPIO between studios, it's also how they can handover to another studio by fading up the new studio's Program Bus. Now If I remember rightly somewhere on the 8th floor near the studios is the Rack room which has the servers for each studio (I would guess there is a minimum of 3 per studio, 1 for VCS Playout, 1 for VCS Cart on the DJ side, and 1 for VCS Cart where the news presenter would sit in the studio). I would also imagine that within this rack room there will be a Studer SCore that the VCS audio outputs would connect too (via IP Audio or Digital), and these will be selected on the console in the studio in the config and will act the same as a local source would. 

Now with this in mind, All I can think is that when the studio lost power as a fail safe "dira!" just played the next item, or Matt started it in great timing, but because it's audio output is connected to the SCore in the Rack Room as opposed to the one in the studio it still went out on air because it would have still been routed to the main Program Bus.

This is how I would have set it up anyway.

Actually on a second listen there's no way Matt started that trail, so again I think dira! must have started it as a fail safe with it being the next item in the playlist.

In terms of the Vamps starting late, they started 30 seconds after the trail started, so if the trail hadn't have played we would have heard the full Vamps track, although it still seems odd as Clean Bandit is clearly the start of the tape...

• 4 weeks later...