Unofficial Mills

BBC Planning 'Phone-First' Strategy For Radio 1/1Xtra

TMD_24

18 hours ago, TMD_24 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/19/bbc-radio-1-aims-to-be-netflix-of-music-radio-with-phone-first-strategy

What they mean by a 'Phone-First' strategy is technically making more on-demand programming, 25 hours worth according to the article.  

Hopefully it's not just new music. This could be a great side project for Scott as a big name at Radio 1. I'm sure many of his listeners would tune into online shows, especially if it means he spent more time with Radio 1.

13 hours ago, OohErr said:

This worries  me actually - it makes it sound like Radio 1 is lining itself up to eventually cease to be a live linear radio station at all. 

Reminds me of the BBC Three situation. The television channel was allowed to fail before they decided to move online because the youth aren't watching television as much. There's talk of young people listening to less radio but is that because it's an outdated concept, or because youth-obsessed managers have made the wrong decisions?

Yeah, they may not be doing great on the ratings but the BBC can't deny that radio 1 still has millions of listeners! The community station I work for survives on an average 7 listeners per show :D I can't see radio 1 being destroyed as a station altogether, but I can't help but see 1xtra going first surely??  

Radio 1 is Where It Begins!

Thoughts. And lots of them. 

1Xtra is a black youth station. It's only on DAB (not FM, like Radio 1) and has a considerably smaller budget than Radio 1. It fits the remit of the BBC core values and helps them cater to an audience woefully underpresented in the media industry. But Charlie Sloth makes the station... well... shite. 

After appointing former Spotify guy as Head Of Music, I feared that this guy would influence BBB and the others into something such as this. It's worrying, and it's not what radio should be. 

Finally, I can't stress this enough, the RAJARs of stations such as Capital and KISS were largely unchanged. That means, no matter how much Ben Cooper wants you to believe it, young people are still listening to radio!

The issue lies with where that lost audience actually is. Have they decided to listen to Capital? Millions of people haven't all collectively gone "actually radio is rubbish, let's stop listening" in the last month. This is an issue with poor scheduling, poor execution and a lack of fresh content. And less BBC-wide advertising.

• 1 month later...