Unofficial Mills

ARIAS (the replacement for the Sonys)

OohErr

The nominations came out today. 

Clara Amfo nominated for Music Broadcaster of the Year, as was Mistajam, Grimmy for Best National Music Breakfast Show, Greg James AND Scott Mills nominated for Best Entertainment Programme, and 1Xtra nominated for national station of the year.

Out of Greg and Scott, I hope Scott gets it - his show is consistently good, whereas Greg's has gone downhill ever since Ian and Jenny replaced Pippa and Travis, and Chris Smith was all but phased out. 

God knows how Clara was nominated - she's not that great (as I've said before, a wasted potential). Also surprised Grimmy was nominated - last time I heard it, his show was awful. Also surprised there's nothing for Moyles, although his snub was inkeeping with Sony tradition.

I also hope Scott gets it- he thoroughly deserves it. I do think Greg's show is sounding great, though. Chris Smith is still involved a lot after 6pm but not quite as much as before- Greg doesn't talk to him much after bulletins and he isn't used much in the main 5:10pm features. 

The nominations do seem very BBC-heavy with very little recognition for some of the best commercial shows and presenters. 

I'll disagree with you on Clara- I think she's really settled into that show now and is sounding great at the moment, probably helped by the fact that I think she's a brilliant interviewer and handles the Live Lounge really well. Her personality is coming out more now and she seems more comfortable on-air. I think Alice Levine was robbed to not be chosen as Fearne's replacement but I'm really enjoying what I hear of Clara's show.

4 hours ago, murste said:

I do think Greg's show is sounding great, though. Chris Smith is still involved a lot after 6pm but not quite as much as before- Greg doesn't talk to him much after bulletins and he isn't used much in the main 5:10pm features. 

Can't agree with you here - I was listening to him today and thinking how sad it was that what used to be such a good show has got so stale - there was nothing of interest in the 4:30-5 half hour, just a couple of links about nothing in particular with the ever unfunny Ian chipping in, I've always thought Wrong Uns was an inferior replacement for Nerd Alerts and I was generally bored. Great shame, it used to be one of my favourite shows, but I can't help but feel it's lost its way. On the bright side, he'll be getting a new AP soon as Jenny becomes producer of Alice Levine - hopefully it'll be one with a bit of personality to partially fill the gap Pippa and Travis left.

My god, all I do on here these days is whinge about a show and a station I allegedly like. I do love R1, honest. When I say Greg's show has gone downhill - it's still better than almost all of the rubbish coming out of Leicester Square.

So Scott won! 

Equally as surprised that Nick was up for his trainwreck of a show. It really has lost any sense of direction, momentum and occasion - just blasting out the playlist with some shitty entertainment bulletin for filler and a few comments on what's trending at the moment. 

Back when Matt & Ian were on R1 Breakfast production, the show did "extra" things (think - sending Ian out to ask if Beyonce was staying at a hotel in London, think sending Ian out in a pizza hat, think touring colleges and schools, think outside broadcasts, think features...) but everything now just feels very "done". It's almost like Nick is in autopilot now. 

All links seem to follow this format - "Ten minutes past seven on Monday the 21st September on BBC Radio 1. Still to come, (guest) will be live on the show after eight o clock this morning"

AND he's stopped bothering talking up to the vocals, or playing tracks out after a punchline. It's really sloppy. Started the show this morning with some Christmas music or something, so much for the show being the most important on the station. 

I daresay the end is nigh. 

• 3 weeks later...