Unofficial Mills

September 11th 2001

DC

A sombre subject. But I'm finding it a bit hard to believe it's been 15 years since 9/11. I was watching one of the American news channels Fox recently, and a feature on there with familes who lost loved ones in the attack. Found it sad seeing kids who are now all grown up not remembering much of their lost loved one. Some were mere babies at the time.

It was something that shaped so much since then, the Iraq/Afghanistan wars, and even today with the emergence of ISIS can be connected in some way back to that.

I think it was the 'where were you when you heard' for my generation at least. I knew about it from listening to Mark & Lard, then the first 10 minutes of Chris Moyles on Radio 1 on my walkman until I got home from school and turned on the TV at 3.10.

I was a mere school kid at the time, and as bad as it was it's a marker in your life where you remember the things you were doing then. Even looking at the Radio 1 lineup from that day, so much has changed. Apart from Scott, most of them have moved on. And the current crop of Radio 1 DJ's could of been kids themselves.

Here's an interesting article written by Chris Price around the time of the 10th anniversary of the attacks:-

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/christopher-price/soundtracking-911_b_957331.html

He was a Music Producer at the time, but has since returned to Radio 1 as head of music this year. An interesting read on how they dealt with the day.

on the grid.

I remember you posting this audio of the Radio 1 reports, DC.

For me it completely changed my view of the world. I knew about the IRA, I knew about some of the unjust stuff going on through wars in the 90s, but it not only shaped my understanding of some viewed the 'West' but also the view that we now carry that anywhere can be a target for terrorism. 

I remember coming home from school and a relative rung us up to tell us about it. I put on ITV and was transfixed to the television for seven or eight hours. I couldn't believe we hadn't been told at school, but it was fairly late in the day and without the modern technology we have now television news was how we learned about it. Even 24-hour news was a novelty thing back then.

It was our generation's time of "where were you when you heard" type of thing. It was bizarre watching the coverage on Sky News today, that everything had to be explained somewhat. Then you remember some people viewing may not know that much about it, they could of been small children or toddlers at the time. So wouldn't of remembered anything about it. Then I think Radio 1 should of done a piece on it today, it's kind of important for young people to know what happened. As it's a big part of why things are going on the way they are in the Middle East today.

Anyway, I've stuck this together. It's not much but various other things I've scrambled from the internet over the years from 9/11 on Radio 1.

on the grid.