Unofficial Mills

Resurrect the Radio 1 Breakfast Show

bensteele

I've been reading some DigitalSpy radio chat, and the general consensus is that it's unlikely that Nick will be replaced in September, because he is scaring away the old people (but failing to bring new youngsters in, as he's become less popular). 

Let's envisage that scenario - what would Radio 1 need to do to make its breakfast show more successful? Here's what I think they should do, for what it's worth. 

1 - Bring back Matt Fincham, because the show was far stronger with him and more entertaining 

2 - Introduce some new, more intelligent radio features 

3 - Use Snapchat more, because Ben Cooper seems to think all of Radio 1's listeners are now permanently glued to Snapchat

4 - Reintroduce the opening bed and get better audio branding generally 

5 - Use the show's branding more visibly across the BBC 

6 - Advertise across the BBC, including on Radio 1, as it being "The Radio 1 Breakfast Show, fresher than ever before" or something similar. 

7 - Include callers on the show more regularly 

8 - Nick to do some actual work pre and post show to make it the best it can possibly be 

Thoughts?

6 hours ago, bensteele said:

4 - Reintroduce the opening bed and get better audio branding generally 

Absolutely, the main reason the kids aren't listening to the Radio 1 Breakfast Show anymore is cause they ditched the opening bed and have bad imaging.

There's nothing teenagers love more than a well produced bespoke audio imaging package.

Sarcasm aside, they seem like pretty constructive suggestions. 

If R1 really wanted to keep Grimshaw but go nuclear, maybe they could introduce a cohost to freshen it up a bit. (Yes, I know, the same thing is being suggested on both another thread on this forum and DigitalSpy, but not with Grimmy staying on). But seriously though, it could work - a "new" breakfast show but without having to ditch Grimmy. They've done it on 1Xtra a couple of times - giving Trevor Nelson Gemma Carney, and giving Twin B Yasmine Evans. Again, I'm gonna suggest the same name that's come up again and again - Alice Levine. Only problem is what to do with her when Grimmy does leave breakfast - would she go solo, get paired up with his successor, or be moved to a different slot? Could create a potentially messy divorce but hey ho.

4 hours ago, OohErr said:

Absolutely, the main reason the kids aren't listening to the Radio 1 Breakfast Show anymore is cause they ditched the opening bed and have bad imaging.

There's nothing teenagers love more than a well produced bespoke audio imaging package.

:rule: genuine laughter, you are funny. 

4 hours ago, OohErr said:

maybe they could introduce a cohost to freshen it up a bit. 

It's been suggested (yes, on DigitalSpy) that co-hosts have been split (think - Mark & Lard, Fearne & Reggie, Twin & Yasmin) over the past because the BBC has to pay double high figure salaries (although not so much on 1Xtra), so for this perfectly plausible reason, I think perhaps co-hosting would be bad. And, I think Alice is... meh.

I think we should give Gemma Cairney a go at the breakfast show, the bosses seem to love her after reducing her hours from weekend breakfast, to weekday early breakfast, to "The Surgery". 

Realistically, I think Alice isn't going to get a stint on breakfast, but I think Nick needs some kind of co-host other than Fiona, as I can understand that the show is getting stale.

#bringbackmoyles

• 2 months later...
On 17.8.2016 at 8:02 PM, OohErr said:

Sarcasm aside, they seem like pretty constructive suggestions. 

If R1 really wanted to keep Grimshaw but go nuclear, maybe they could introduce a cohost to freshen it up a bit. (Yes, I know, the same thing is being suggested on both another thread on this forum and DigitalSpy, but not with Grimmy staying on). But seriously though, it could work - a "new" breakfast show but without having to ditch Grimmy. They've done it on 1Xtra a couple of times - giving Trevor Nelson Gemma Carney, and giving Twin B Yasmine Evans. Again, I'm gonna suggest the same name that's come up again and again - Alice Levine. Only problem is what to do with her when Grimmy does leave breakfast - would she go solo, get paired up with his successor, or be moved to a different slot? Could create a potentially messy divorce but hey ho.

Mills for breakfast!