Unofficial Mills

Tina Daheley to leave Newsbeat?

murste

Tina Daheley has just been announced as the new presenter of Crimewatch on BBC One. Congrats to her- that's a really great gig. The press release says it'll be on every week across September. She does mention Radio 1 and says she "wants to engage young audiences" but I just wonder that between that, covering BBC Breakfast at weekends and doing 8pm news headlines on BBC One whether she'll still have time do do a full Newsbeat shift in the mornings. I suppose they could just get someone to cover her on the days she's doing Crimewatch but could she feel like it's time to move on?

51 minutes ago, radioanorak said:

She's been on the breakfast show for longer than Chris Moyles! 

Nerd alert: she hasn't, although she's not far off actually. Moyles was January 2004-September 2012, so 8 years 9 months, and Tina joined TCMS in February 2010 so she's been doing it for 6 years 6 months. Feels like yesterday that she replaced Carrie.

On 05/08/2016 at 4:47 PM, OohErr said:

That's amazing! Tina's done really well, who'd have thought that "Chris Moyles' new sports monkey" would go on to be so successful? I can't see her sticking around at Newsbeat for too much longer though, she looks like she'll become very successful.

I actually prefer her reading the news compared to when Dom did! She has a more natural reading style.

She has done well - another good job on the CV! She has been at Radio 1 for some considerable time, so I'm sure when the time is right she will have enough experience to go on to bigger things with the BBC. Given ratings for Grimmy haven't been great lately, if he does get moved I suspect it would be a natural time for her to take that leap.

I haven't listened to the Radio 1 Breakfast show for months - I'm listening to the post-Brits one radioanorak posted, I'm surprised by how outgoing and funny Tina has become. She was always rather shy on TCMS, but she's really grown into the role and adds a hell of a lot to an otherwise average breakfast show. Go Tina!