Unofficial Mills

Rhianna off of films leaving Radio 1

niena

Rhianna off of Innunendo Bingo, and BBC R1 resident film critic, is leaving Radio 1 in January 2016. She mentioned it at her last Movie with Rihanna podcast and Greg mentioned it in his as well. Neither said why - anyone have any clues?

She's been fantastic at ther job - surely it's not R1 bosses letting her go?

"It is my last ever podcast. I'm leaving Radio 1 and 1 Extra after nealy 5 glorious years, so next week there won't be one (podcast), but a week after that ther will be with brand new film critic Ali Plumb who's worked for Empire and Digital Spy, he knows his stuff with movies. Now because I'm feeling a bit self indulgent, this is my last ever movie quote on a podcast and a lot of people have been asking me what I'm going to do next, it's pretty much... 'go to Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait for all this to blow over'. Happy Christmas everybody and thank you for listening to my podcast."

She has a Movie Show special scheduled on R1 tomorrow (December 30th, 19:00) and that's it.

Hmmm, scoured her Twitter and nothing realy there tbh.

Feel like they should either scrap Movies or get a proper show (to replace Radio 1's Godawful Stories or something), rather than shoehorn it into Greg's show. It does sound a bit Student Radio.

I saw Rhianna recently when I was at Radio 1, gossiping by the fax machine. She'll be missed. Her warm and positive enthusiasm was very clear to hear!

Yeah its not like she has mentioned on her twitter about starting somewhere else. I guess, like any of the presenters she isn't exactly immune from a reshuffle and maybe after 5 years they just wanted a fresh face for films. I'm surprised she's being replaced though, with all the cutbacks at Radio 1, that is small hanging fruit to cut! I thought they might make Dev do it or something.

I'm still undecided about whether I enjoy listening to her or not. I think her reviews are very well thought out and good but I actually fast forward on the podcast if she was playing Innuendo Bingo - almost Cairney levels of irritant!

I thought she was excellent all around. She's one of the very few film critics I (usually) agree with on almost everything. And I like the way she presents the review - to the point, not too spoilery, quick and entertaining. Also she's very natural with people, no afecttions. Really good interviewer and a good person for djs to bounce off in conversation.

I usually prefer watching her film reviews on youtube, because on podcast ther'e a lot of redundant interviews with actors that I already heard on Greg's, Grimmy's, Scott's or Matt's podcasts. Really sad to see her go.

Also, I have fond memories of all the times she got a laughing fit on Innuendo Bingo and they couldn't continue. Those were hilarious.

Agree she was a wasted talent not having her own show. If you're going to employ someone to do it, why the hell not do some sort of show in those evening slots? I'm surprised they've employed someone else - I hope her replacement is used to their potential.

Agree she was a wasted talent not having her own show. If you're going to employ someone to do it, why the hell not do some sort of show in those evening slots? I'm surprised they've employed someone else - I hope her replacement is used to their potential.

Hang on, they've got a replacement? Anyone got details on name / website?

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/new-r1-film-critic

I feel a bit sorry for Rhianna now, looks like she was binned. But for a first job straight from uni, (or actually I think she still was at Reading when starting at Radio 1...) she's done pretty well!

Whenever they make these press statements I love it how Rhys Hughes never changes what he says whenever people get let go: "I would also like to thank [insert name here] for his/her fantastic contribution over the last few years and wish him/her all the best for the future.”

It was today announced that Ali Plumb will become the new film critic for BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra. Ali, who is currently the Movies Editor at Digital Spy, and was previously a writer at Empire, will be joining the stations in January, taking over from Rhianna Dhillon.

From 2016, listeners will hear Ali reviewing films across Radio 1 and 1Xtra, as well as doing the weekly movie round up in ‘The Number One Show with Cel Spellman’ on Sunday nights (Radio 1, 4-7pm).

Rhianna, who joined Radio 1 and 1Xtra in 2011, will be leaving the stations this month, with her last show being 30 December.

Ali said: “I’m over the moon to be joining Radio 1 and 1Xtra. Film is my passion, and I can’t wait to bring my reviewing and interviewing experience to the airwaves.”

Rhys Hughes, Head of Programmes for Radio 1 and 1Xtra, says: “I’m delighted that Ali is joining Radio 1 and 1Xtra, bringing his massive passion of films to a young audience. I would also like to thank Rhianna for her fantastic contribution over the last few years and wish her all the best for the future.”

Rhianna says: “I’ve had a wonderful time reviewing movies on Radio 1 and 1Xtra with Greg and Trevor and have loved interviewing some of my on-screen heroes. I am looking forward to the next exciting phase of my career.”

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...