Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Summer Mix

bensteele

Hey all,

So recently, without prior advertising, Radio 1 launched its "Summer Mix". It's being advertised across all of the BBC television channels, and, incase you've missed it - it's live for an hour with Grimmy from 9am and with Gregory from 6pm (or, you can listen and download them here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02wfr5z).

I have mixed (no pun intended!) opinions on this. I think it's good that they're adopting a more music ethos, it's fitting for the summer - we want anthems and good tunes. It's pretty high-profile, with good idents and a decent mix. However, it seems to be giving Grimmy & Greg PLENTY of free time - a whole hour - to sit and do pretty much nothing. They talk roughly every ten minutes, basically to remind people what they're listening to and the occasional shoutout.

I've just had a thought - what if Cel Spellman's slot was a Sunday Mix, targeted at those doing homework to sit and listen to music? Or, perhaps Danny Howard could do a Summer Mix during his Saturday evening shows across summer.

I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I'm not a huge fan. I think twice a day for 6 weeks is a bit much - that's a lot of hours lost. Grimmy it's not so bad cause he's got another two and a half hours, but Greg - his hours have just been cut because of the chart and now he's losing another hour of his show every day until September. Think of all the content we'll be missing out on! The 6-6:30 half hour is the best in my opinion, with the Ten Minute Takeover and chat with Chris Smith with the News, so it's a shame it's been lost, although nothing much happened between 6:30 and 7.

I haven't listened to Greg yet this week, has the Ten Minute Takeover been dropped or moved? If it's been dropped, I wonder whether they'll bring it back or not in September - it's been on for years now so they might feel it's time to end it.

Also I'd prefer it if they played a few older songs as well. Not ancient, but 2000 onwards should be just about alright in terms of being on target.

Overall not a huge fan.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a massive fan of the summer mix, not much interactivity (a la nixtape) and I do miss the 10 min takeover, as you weren't ever sure what would get requested (although some people were proper boring and requested playlist stuff!).

If i wanted to listen to a mix of music for an hour, I'd stick a CD on. It feels like pretty lazy programming.

It's pre-recorded, and every 15 minutes there's usually the bed from the following track that presenters can talk over. It is incredibly lazy programming, but it's one of the most downloaded things on BBC iPlayer Radio, so there's obviously a market for it.

I look forward to the summer mixes ending - anyone know when they do? The extra hour from Grimmy & Greg will be savoured.

The first without them should be w/c Sept 7th

No they end next week, Grimmy sad yesterday morning that 'as soon as August's out the summer mixes are gone'. He and his crew didn't seem very sad about it (which he joked about). So it's obviously not too popular with the DJs. He also said during his first bed that' Fifi was on the decks mixing it' but he was lying because Greg played that exact mix the other evening - I knew exactly what was coming up next every time!

No they end next week, Grimmy sad yesterday morning that 'as soon as August's out the summer mixes are gone'. He and his crew didn't seem very sad about it (which he joked about). So it's obviously not too popular with the DJs. He also said during his first bed that' Fifi was on the decks mixing it' but he was lying because Greg played that exact mix the other evening - I knew exactly what was coming up next every time!

Thanks for sharing! Love Grimmy. It's pretty obvious Fiona Hanlon, Radio 1 Breakfast Assistant Producer, was not on the decks mixing it ;)

It's just an excuse for the DJs to sit around doing what can only be described as a very short shift! Most of the mixes are shoddy, and, may I say on this thread, absolute shite. Mixing breathy rock music over Jess Glynne is not the way to mix some tracks, even I know that...

That's what he said at about 157 minutes into last Tuesday's show

Oh my. I think Nick's humour clearly goes over your head! He often makes jokes about his producers. For example when he used to say Matt Fincham was looking nice in a backless gown in the studio, its a joke!

Next time you might be telling me Greg James is live mixing the Dance Anthems....(he doesn't)

• 9 months later...