Unofficial Mills

Things That Get Better With Age...

OohErr

... fine wine, jeans, and Scott Mills.

Thanks to Tweed, I've got my hands on a classic Mills show, from 2005. It's up on the Archive here.

It's quite interesting to listen to - even after being on Radio 1 for seven years, he still hadn't quite lost his posh twang, and at times it sounded a lot like that clip of him doing "All Requests Lunchbreak" on Heart, particularly during Your Call (fun fact: That clip also features a younger Chris Smith With the News reading the news (also, how old is Chris Smith With the News? I think he's quite a few years older than Greg, and if he was doing the news in 1996 then he must be about Scott's age. Also this is sort of his second life - he used to be Christian O'Connell's sidekick, so he must be one of the more mature Newsbeat staff)). Anyway. What was I saying?

Oh yeah, Scott 10 years ago. Surprisingly little content - Your Call seems a bit ropey and "All Requests Lunchtime" like - 45 minutes of requests and no chat content during peak time seems a bit odd. How long did that go on for and was it a daily thing? Also the links were really short and Chappers wasn't as involved. Mills seemed very different then to how he is now, I think I prefer 2015 Scott. Although given the choice between Chappers and Chris, I think I'd say Chappers. Also a strange use of the 5pm and 6pm news jingles for Your Call, and with Scott popping up at the end of Newsbeat. It sounds weird.

If anybody else fancies a listen, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. And also if anybody knows how old Chris Smith With the News actually is that would be good too.

Haha, love the You've Been Busted feature. There's no way they'd get away with that now.

I do miss the era of risquér radio. It all sort of ended on Radio 1 when Chris Moyles left. Was listening to clips of Badly Bleeped TV the other day - that was hilarious.