Unofficial Mills

Nick Grimshaw: New Breakfast Show Host

James R

Congratulations to Grimmy on getting the breakfast gig and I'm VERY excited to see what he can produce, I'm a big fan of his, I think he's very talented and it's a very good move for radio 1 !

This is really exciting I think, I wonder how much influence Grimmy will eventually have on the overall direction of Radio 1, especially music-wise. The current breakfast show only plays the BIG pop songs, but I can see Grimmy's show wanting to showcase atleast one or two 'newer or more indie' per show, might this drip through to the rest of the schedule?

Also Huw has to be a shoe-in for 10-12 right? Returning to a more music focused format? Who'll get his weekend slot? Chris when he returns? (with whoever, Annie Mac/Dev/Deacon as a stop-gap)

I can't help but remember a comment, I think from an interview with Ben Cooper (? Could be wrong) about Greg James 'being groomed for the Breakfast Show'. This makes me wonder if Grimmy is only intended as a short-term replacement. If that IS the case, I hope he gets decent ratings to make it difficult to justify taking him back out of the slot.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

It's not called Switch anymore BECAUSE BBC GOT RID OF SWITCH COZ THEY ARE ALL STUPID AND I HATE THEMA AND AGTHRHRGHRHRRHHGVHGVHJGFVHJDFCVUGBUJFJNMFKJVB KJVB K.

Seriously though, I loved Switch. The Cut was my favourite show ever. (shoutout to http://thecutwriters.moonfruit.com/ - the episodes I've written aren't up yet. sad.). RANT CONTINUES IN MY MIND. . . .

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

I think they've made the right choice here. Grimmy has impressed me whoever's show he's been doing recently. Very easy-going and natural, more so than Greg, who I still think probably needs to nail down exactly what sort of radio show he wants to do.

Yes, but there has been no quote about for how long? Coxy and Mark and Lard were 'official' replacements and didn't last long. Also it doesn't stop them still having a plan for Greg in the relative (key word) short-term. This is all I'm saying.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Its very sad that Chris Moyles and the team are leaving the breakfast slot however I'm sure Grimme will do a great job. He's funny - just what you need whilst eating your cornflakes (no sarcasm meant)!

Greg James is off to Africa for Comic Relief. Read it here, r1newspost.wordpress.com.

• 5 years later...

So today, Nick Grimshaw became the second longest Radio 1 breakfast show host. 
Adele Roberts and Nick had a chat at 0625, she said "your the longest, apart from one other person, just beating Tony Blackburn".
Strange how Chris Moyles' name is not mentioned, just someone else.